Some ideas for defending against dogs

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, telling dogs to 'get down' doesn't work, ask Ramsey Bolton ... cue evil laugh.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came upon the subject of defending against dog attacks and wondered what the best tactics for defending against an aggressive dog.

* Feeding it - Throwing a treat will most likely divert it's attention away from you which will give you enough time to move past it.

The dog is unlikely to notice if he is truly aggressive, unless you hit him with it, which might seem aggressive.
* Standing still - Standing motionless in a non-threatening position will let the dog know your harmless.

Only if he's making a display and NOT being territorial. Standing still in what he thinks is his territory will not calm him if he's trying to defend his territory.

* Climbing to high ground - If the dog doesn't listen, quickly climb onto a tree, a fence, or on a car roof. Dogs are horrible climbers and will not be able to reach you.

Not true of all dogs, by any stretch of the imagination. Big dogs can easily jump onto a car hood.
* Dogs may try to use your body weight as support for a throat bite. To counter this, you can deliver a knee strike to the chest or grab them by the neck and slam them to the ground.

Defending their neck is what dogs do best, as it is their natural attack point. Watch dogs wrestle (their form of MA), and you'll see they will give up a leg much quicker than the throat, even in play.

* Use your bad arm for bait - Your going to have to sacrifice an arm to achieve a better chance of attack. Wrestle it to the ground once it's latched onto your arm and force your entire weight in it's mouth. This will cause the dog to choke to death if held long enough.

While I doubt this can kill by choking, it is at least a good bit of advice for keeping a big dog from breaking the bones. A dog will have difficulty bearing down if you put pressure toward the back of the mouth. This not only shoves the jaw back, it also shoves their weight backwards and puts their neck at an odd angle to their torso. All of these reduce the dog's ability to bite harder or to start shaking its head (as if you were prey).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they are truly aggressive they will not let go because of simple pain compliance

This. I've seen a basset hound grab another dog in a display of dominance (lots of pain to the dog, but no tears in the skin). A guy hit the basset with a shovel twice with no effect.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We are not at the top of the food chain by virtue of individual strength or fighting skill. We are more dangerous than other animals for two reasons:

First of all, we are social and travel in packs or bands. You know, strength in numbers and all that.

Secondly, we've used our intelligence to develop weapons.

...So we can kill any other animal including other, stronger humans if we have the necessary weapons and numbers on our side. One thing to remember about dogs is they've got the pack thing down too. If you are alone and you don't have a weapon, the odds aren't good.

As for reverting to our primate roots and escaping by climbing... usually there simply isn't enough time. I speak from experience. Once in my grad-school days I climbed over a tall fence topped with barb-wire to get into a junk yard late at night. It was a property leased by my friend Dave who was converting it into an alternative art-space/club called "Crash" where I was going to be setting up a show.

Anyway, I'd misplaced my key to the padlock, and being young, agile, and really stupid, I topped the fence and jumped down inside. I got about ten yards across the yard heading towards the "office" building when a black shadow appeared from around the corner and charged me. I didn't even have time to take a step. I can still clearly remember seeing a large doberman, a black blur with a lot of white teeth coming at me ...fast.

I just had time to realize that there was no possible way I could make it back to the fence. The dog jumped, slammed into me, knocked me back about three steps, ...somehow I kept on my feet and about then I realized that ...hey it's a friendly dog! He looked really evil though. Pointed ears, full length un-bobbed tail like some kind of demon.

Later Dave told me that he was a rescue dog named "Crack" and that he just had him there as a deterrent. "He barks like the devil, scares everyone away. But he wouldn't harm a soul". ....Lucky me. :)

True, dat.

As for being "young, agile, and really stupid"...we had a pretty big club, didn't we?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pepper spray is fine unless you are in a confined or windy area. Easy just to make your own. Chili grows in my garden as a weed.

Well I would wonder how you may find yourself in a confined space that would effect you too (in 18 years I have only taken a "hit" from spraying someone when it was indoors in a confined space) as for wind, you would be surprised at how well the propellant works, unless we are talking "possible thunderstorms" type wind conditions."

The only problem I see with making your own is the propellant issue. Getting the proper mix of OC to propellant, with consistency, isn't something most people are capable of.

Since these are rather rare occurrences, if you are concerned about range, weather conditions etc. Might I suggest this Kimber America | Pepperblaster | The most powerful pepper defense system.

Yes it is only a two shot unit, but typically a dog will posture before attacking (unless ordered two or basically feral) so this unit provides you more than adequate range to deal with the issue.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I would wonder how you may find yourself in a confined space that would effect you too (in 18 years I have only taken a "hit" from spraying someone when it was indoors in a confined space) as for wind, you would be surprised at how well the propellant works, unless we are talking "possible thunderstorms" type wind conditions."
he only problem I see with making your own is the propellant issue. Getting the proper mix of OC to propellant, with consistency, isn't something most people are capable of.

Are you kidding? I've seen ER staff wheezing and coughing just from being in the same room as someone who was sprayed in the field. Sensitivities vary widely. They were not as miserable as the person who was sprayed directly, but miserable enough. And if they're asthmatic (just as one example) they can be dangerously sick. I get watery eyes just being in the room too long, with some formulations. I've given albuterol nebs to staff asthmatic staff.

Which is not to say pepper spray isn't a viable defense against dogs. I'm just saying that, as with any weapon, it's can be a danger to the wielder.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I've seen ER staff wheezing and coughing just from being in the same room as someone who was sprayed in the field. Sensitivities vary widely. They were not as miserable as the person who was sprayed directly, but miserable enough. And if they're asthmatic (just as one example) they can be dangerously sick. I get watery eyes just being in the room too long, with some formulations. I've given albuterol nebs to staff asthmatic staff.

Which is not to say pepper spray isn't a viable defense against dogs. I'm just saying that, as with any weapon, it's can be a danger to the wielder.

Oh I am not just talking about weezing etc. I get that. I am talking about being genuinely "combat ineffective". Sorry I wasn't clear. I know the incidenal effects of such exposure, I have just become accustomed to it. In terms of "combat ineffective" we actually saved a video of the following at work for "dark" humor value and I was one of the butts of that joke...

Bad guy somehow managed to rip glass cover out of light fixture in the ceiling of his holding cell. Proceeds to cut himself. Me, another officer and and Sgt enter block and open cell. Suspect doesn't drop glass on command. Sgt sprays. Bad guy thrusts face into toilet, the three of us go hand to knees gasping for air and stagger in different directions. I have been sprayed, on purpose in training and accidentally as above (more than once :() so I suppose it's a perspective thing in terms of effect.

And I get the last (preexisting conditions). I once worked with an Officer who was actually allergic. We were made aware, he had n inhaler and epi-pen and he, obviously, didn't carry. I was think more so "average reaction" and still being able to effectively, even if very uncomfortably, withdraw after deployment because imo that is what you should be doing here... once the dog is discombobulated, get the heck out of Dodge as safely as is possible. However this I think is simply, as you say, a truth of any weapon in that you need to be aware if you are personally capable of wielding such a tool safely before you consider deploying it.

But again this may be a case of "perspective" is everything. With the exception of major respiratory interference (or complications of asthma) I know you can fight through most "incidental" contact if necessary. If I flashback to my first direct exposure in the Academy however...yeah it sucks.

But if that is a concern, and it was clearly one for the person I responded to, there are new delivery systems that mitigate the risk.

Last edited:

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I grew up with a veterinarian as a parent. Spent thousands of hours around dogs. Now I spent a lot of time at a dog park with mine. The MOST IMPORTANT self defense thing to remember about a dog:

Don't be afraid.

When you are afraid you act different. You do that and it is a warning sign to the dog. They are hard wired to respond to that. Even the nice ones. And it may not be good.

Dogs are great climbers...just took mine to the mountains and they scaled a few rock faces and rock hopped and all.

If you didn't stop an attack and you can't put something between you and the dog and you don't have a weapon? Don't go down! Stay on your feet.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As illegal for a civilian as any folding baton in most places.

Loocks like a cane to me! Are canes illegal? No. You can unfold it it advance before coming into "dog" terrain, and then fold id back and put it in a bag or backpack.
Great idea i think.

As for defence against dogs... I believe it is helpful to view a dog as... mean shorty human. It's being shorty is dog's huge disadvantage. Use it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's being shorty is dog's huge disadvantage. Use it!

Great Danes, mastiffs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks etc all weigh more than many people and can easily be taller than humans when attacking and go on their rear legs, even Rottweilers and German Shepherds can.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Agains those I would use a hand gun... Then it does not matter how much this thing weight )))

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have to walk around with a weapon in your hand all the time then. The military security here has attack dogs ( they are attack dogs not police dogs) and trust me they will attack quicker than you can draw your weapon or get your magic whip out. If you are walking down the street how fast do you think you can get any sort of weapon out before you are taken down by a dog or dogs. You have to be a really good shot to be able to shoot a fast moving target then you'd better make sure it's a killing shot because dogs have been shot before and still keep coming. I think you have an unrealistic idea of using whips etc as a defence in an everyday situation.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You would have to walk around with a weapon in your hand all the time then. The military security here has attack dogs ( they are attack dogs not police dogs) and trust me they will attack quicker than you can draw your weapon or get your magic whip out. If you are walking down the street how fast do you think you can get any sort of weapon out before you are taken down by a dog or dogs. You have to be a really good shot to be able to shoot a fast moving target then you'd better make sure it's a killing shot because dogs have been shot before and still keep coming. I think you have an unrealistic idea of using whips etc as a defence in an everyday situation.

You know, we have a lot of stray dogs in Russia, they are not particularly well controlled. Most of the times that is not a problem, but certain times, especially in mating season they can get agressive and dangerous for children for instance. Now some areas are more dog populated (industial areas where people even feed them). I remember having to walk through one of those to get to work years ago. I felt a lot of hostility from a gang of dogs... I tool a good old sling shot and after hitting couple of times the gand the dogs would avoid me instead of me avoiding them, which (avoiding) actually a good idea )))