Some ideas for defending against dogs

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You would have to walk around with a weapon in your hand all the time then. The military security here has attack dogs ( they are attack dogs not police dogs) and trust me they will attack quicker than you can draw your weapon or get your magic whip out. If you are walking down the street how fast do you think you can get any sort of weapon out before you are taken down by a dog or dogs. You have to be a really good shot to be able to shoot a fast moving target then you'd better make sure it's a killing shot because dogs have been shot before and still keep coming. I think you have an unrealistic idea of using whips etc as a defence in an everyday situation.

Then you have the dogs that don't die. There is a reason we use shotguns to put down large animals hit by cars. Their muscles are often more dense than ours, sometimes even bone, and anything short of a perfect head shot, or into the chest cavity, won't drop them.

We did a search warrant someday on a drug house. The owner had a pitbull trained to attack and it did. An officer hit it 5 times with a .40 cal in the back and sides and it simply wouldnt stop, it just slowed down, but it did run out of the house where one of the perimeter guys took it down with a shotgun as it went for the crowd that was forming.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Then you have the dogs that don't die. There is a reason we use shotguns to put down large animals hit by cars. Their muscles are often more dense than ours, sometimes even bone, and anything short of a perfect head shot, or into the chest cavity, won't drop them.

We did a search warrant someday on a drug house. The owner had a pitbull trained to attack and it did. An officer hit it 5 times with a .40 cal in the back and sides and it simply wouldnt stop, it just slowed down, but it did run out of the house where one of the perimeter guys took it down with a shotgun as it went for the crowd that was forming.

Here you go! Shotgun is the best self-defense against dogs!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then what's the whole point of discussion? Defense against a dog for a farmer looks pretty simple to me: walk around with a shotgun and if you see a strange dog approaching shoot it down before it attacks.
A farmer walking around with a shotgun all day won't get much farming done.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A man was killed in the UK just two days ago by a dog, neighbours tried to help him, the dog was stabbed and hit and still carried on attacking. The man's dog a small Yorkshire terrier was badly injured.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A farmer walking around with a shotgun all day won't get much farming done.

well, protecting livestock is essential part of farming in't it? If sheep get killed by dogs with any regularity at all make perfect sense to get a shotgun and go about this business. Or hire someone to do it. Takes 1-2 times to kill the intruding dog to discourage other owners to bring their dogs to hunt on your property.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, protecting livestock is essential part of farming in't it? If sheep get killed by dogs with any regularity at all make perfect sense to get a shotgun and go about this business. Or hire someone to do it. Takes 1-2 times to kill the intruding dog to discourage other owners to bring their dogs to hunt on your property.

A farmer is only going to get his shotgun if he knows there's a dog worrying sheep, he cannot patrol hundreds of thousands of acres of hills just in case. The Dales are a huge area and sheep roam freely.

It's owners that are the problem not the dogs, the breed was a pitbull type. The owner is being charged with the man's death though the dog will be put down.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A farmer is only going to get his shotgun if he knows there's a dog worrying sheep, he cannot patrol hundreds of thousands of acres of hills just in case. The Dales are a huge area and sheep roam freely.

It's owners that are the problem not the dogs, the breed was a pitbull type. The owner is being charged with the man's death though the dog will be put down.

Modern technologies (like drones) allow one to patrol virtually thousands of acres. Then if a farmer spots trouble - he can go exactly where it is and eliminate the threat.

That brings us back to the issue of banning certain dog types from public ownership, doesn't it?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
A man was killed in the UK just two days ago by a dog, neighbours tried to help him, the dog was stabbed and hit and still carried on attacking. The man's dog a small Yorkshire terrier was badly injured.

Your mentioning of the dangerous dog act really got me looking into it and I am saying, no offense intended, what silly legislation. In one year West Yorkshire spending over half a million £ on kenneling dangerous dogs? This in light of the reality(imo) Ms Kisko relates

Speaking to the BBC following the man's death Caroline Kisko, from the Kennel Club, said she believed the act was "completely flawed".

She said the legislation had led to people "being fooled into thinking that just the way a dog looks defines its behaviour".

"The problem is that we've been given the idea that we are all secure because the Dangerous Dogs Act has vilified a certain type of dog and therefore, as long as they're illegal, we're all safe," she said.

"Any dog can be dangerous if it is wrongly handled and wrongly trained

Now if just the above quote was in play (especially the last sentence which I agree with) I would just shrug. However according to the BBC Greater Manchester and Merseyside forces each spend more than West Yorkshire. So three areas spend well over a Billion and a half £ a year to comply with the act? That is an insane amount of money based on a largely "it looks bad" statute.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the Kennel Club which actually is responsible for some of the worst breeding mistake in dogs has an agenda.
The figures are ridiculous, for one thing the police don't kennel nor do they pay for dogs. They don't even have that much in their total budgets.
Drones, yeah really? Who has time to fly them, you're not a farmer obviously and seeing an attack and getting there are two different things, After a couple of hours travelling the dog would be long gone.

If you look here at the accounts of the West Yorkshire police you'll see the only dogs mentioned are the police dogs ( however I did notice a worrying amount of accident repair bills for vehicles!) http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/sites/default/files/files/foi/published_january_-_march_2016.pdf

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern technologies (like drones) allow one to patrol virtually thousands of acres. Then if a farmer spots trouble - he can go exactly where it is and eliminate the threat.

That brings us back to the issue of banning certain dog types from public ownership, doesn't it?
Um...no. Do you have any idea how much time would be involved in flying a drone over just a hundred acres a day? We're back to a farmer who doesn't farm.

D

Deleted member 34973

Grab them at the lower ear and at the end of their jaw line and twist their head in a downward motion towards the ground and pin them, they will submit and will see you as the alpha. It really is that simple. Every pack follows the alpha....take that and they will follow you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grab them at the lower ear and at the end of their jaw line and twist their head in a downward motion towards the ground and pin them, they will submit and will see you as the alpha. It really is that simple. Every pack follows the alpha....take that and they will follow you.

Of course....not. When they've leapt and are ripping your throat out I'm sure that will do the trick. Simplistic in the extreme.

D

Deleted member 34973

Of course....not. When they've leapt and are ripping your throat out I'm sure that will do the trick. Simplistic in the extreme.
It works for me everytime. Its where their power is and where their power is nullified. Regardless of whether or not they are trained. And, a dog lunging, is the best example how easily this works. Tried and tested several times.

If a dog has made it to your throat...you are simply inexperienced.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It works for me everytime. Its where their power is and where their power is nullified. Regardless of whether or not they are trained. And, a dog lunging, is the best example how easily this works. Tried and tested several times.

If a dog has made it to your throat...you are simply inexperienced.

Oh dear.

D

Deleted member 34973

Of another example, if they get ahold of your hand, turn your hand(it will hurt) and shove it down their throat, suffocate them and and tend to your wounds. Worked for me at 14yrs old with a pitbull.

Dog gone now.

Latest Discussions