Some ideas for defending against dogs

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I came upon the subject of defending against dog attacks and wondered what the best tactics for defending against an aggressive dog.

* Feeding it - Throwing a treat will most likely divert it's attention away from you which will give you enough time to move past it.

* Standing still - Standing motionless in a non-threatening position will let the dog know your harmless.

* Climbing to high ground - If the dog doesn't listen, quickly climb onto a tree, a fence, or on a car roof. Dogs are horrible climbers and will not be able to reach you.

If you find yourself attacked by a dog, i find these tips to be important.

* Keep the dog at a distance - The dog is strongest from the center so you must attack from the side. Kicks to the side of a medium or large sized dog will keep it at bay and stomp kicks might work well with small dogs. It's important to avoid getting bitten.

Attacks:

* Grab the neck and wrestle the dog - No matter how big the dog is, it will never be able to outwrestle you. Grabbing the neck while moving out of the line of attack then putting the dog into a headlock effectively keeps the dog from landing a bite. From there, you will be able to wrestle it to the ground and use your knees to plant your body weight in it's side along with controlling the neck.

* Target the legs, throat, eyes, nose, shoulders, neck, and other vitals - Never attack the head unless your trying to stun the dog or keep it at a distance with an object. Dogs are weakest at other areas of their bodies. When you wrestle a dog to the ground, gouge it's eyes out, crush it's windpipe, rip it's tongue out, break it's neck, rip it's legs apart, break it's teeth out, and if possible - break it's spine. This will immobilize the dog and give you enough time to escape.

Defense:

* Dogs may try to use your body weight as support for a throat bite. To counter this, you can deliver a knee strike to the chest or grab them by the neck and slam them to the ground.

* Use your bad arm for bait - Your going to have to sacrifice an arm to achieve a better chance of attack. Wrestle it to the ground once it's latched onto your arm and force your entire weight in it's mouth. This will cause the dog to choke to death if held long enough.

* Redirect the dog's momentum if it jumps at you - This is where Martial Arts such as Judo or simply stepping aside and/or landing a kick to it's side if your quick enough will counter that attack. Either that or simply sacrificing your non-dominant arm before slamming it to the ground will work better.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In one of my teacher's government mission, he was attacked by more than 20 dogs. He hated dog all his life since then.

- One day he was in a park, a dog jumped on him.
- He used one hand to grab on that dog's front leg,
- spun his body,
- smashed that dog on a tree, and
- killed that dog.

The whole body motion is just like in the following clips.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the dog and it's training, depends on the person and his training, and depends on the situation.

Climbing atop a car might be okay, might not...

An umbrella works pretty good against your average dog, but they are hardly carried any more.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came upon the subject of defending against dog attacks and wondered what the best tactics for defending against an aggressive dog.

* Feeding it - Throwing a treat will most likely divert it's attention away from you which will give you enough time to move past it.

* Standing still - Standing motionless in a non-threatening position will let the dog know your harmless.

* Climbing to high ground - If the dog doesn't listen, quickly climb onto a tree, a fence, or on a car roof. Dogs are horrible climbers and will not be able to reach you.

If you find yourself attacked by a dog, i find these tips to be important.

* Keep the dog at a distance - The dog is strongest from the center so you must attack from the side. Kicks to the side of a medium or large sized dog will keep it at bay and stomp kicks might work well with small dogs. It's important to avoid getting bitten.

Attacks:

* Grab the neck and wrestle the dog - No matter how big the dog is, it will never be able to outwrestle you. Grabbing the neck while moving out of the line of attack then putting the dog into a headlock effectively keeps the dog from landing a bite. From there, you will be able to wrestle it to the ground and use your knees to plant your body weight in it's side along with controlling the neck.

* Target the legs, throat, eyes, nose, shoulders, neck, and other vitals - Never attack the head unless your trying to stun the dog or keep it at a distance with an object. Dogs are weakest at other areas of their bodies. When you wrestle a dog to the ground, gouge it's eyes out, crush it's windpipe, rip it's tongue out, break it's neck, rip it's legs apart, break it's teeth out, and if possible - break it's spine. This will immobilize the dog and give you enough time to escape.

Defense:

* Dogs may try to use your body weight as support for a throat bite. To counter this, you can deliver a knee strike to the chest or grab them by the neck and slam them to the ground.

* Use your bad arm for bait - Your going to have to sacrifice an arm to achieve a better chance of attack. Wrestle it to the ground once it's latched onto your arm and force your entire weight in it's mouth. This will cause the dog to choke to death if held long enough.

* Redirect the dog's momentum if it jumps at you - This is where Martial Arts such as Judo or simply stepping aside and/or landing a kick to it's side if your quick enough will counter that attack. Either that or simply sacrificing your non-dominant arm before slamming it to the ground will work better.
A lot of bad ideas here...

You're not going to distract or deter an aggressive dog with a treat. That only works reliably in movies...
Standing still might work -- or it might not. You have to send the right signals -- and decide wether those are really the signals you want to send...

Rather than running through all of this point by point... Yeah, most of it is pretty off. Contact a dog handler, maybe see if your local PD's K9 unit will let you wear a bite suit... A truly attacking dog is more than a little on the formidable side of things. One thing... a dog relies on it's rear legs to drive into an attack. If you can get them off the ground... you get a lot of control. But that's a damn sight easier to say than do while being attacked...

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rather than running through all of this point by point... Yeah, most of it is pretty off. Contact a dog handler, maybe see if your local PD's K9 unit will let you wear a bite suit... A truly attacking dog is more than a little on the formidable side of things. One thing... a dog relies on it's rear legs to drive into an attack. If you can get them off the ground... you get a lot of control. But that's a damn sight easier to say than do while being attacked...

I disagree, anyone will lose in a tug of war with a dog but that's not the goal of self defense against a dog. Your goal should be to receive the force and/or redirect it not fight it. If the dog comes in, bites your arm, and pulls back - you go in the direction it wants you before you counter-attack. The common mistake people make is pulling away from a dog bite which will lead to a torn limb.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, anyone will lose in a tug of war with a dog but that's not the goal of self defense against a dog. Your goal should be to receive the force and/or redirect it not fight it. If the dog comes in, bites your arm, and pulls back - you go in the direction it wants you before you counter-attack. The common mistake people make is pulling away from a dog bite which will lead to a torn limb.

Nope. In the job I had before I retired we had dogs, a lot of us got to play the 'baddie' with them. Suit and pad up, once a dog has your arm frankly it doesn't matter what you do you will not dislodge those jaws, move whichever way you want. Being trained these dogs release on command, non trained dogs don't, in fact some breeds of dogs have jaws that lock on and only they can 'unlock' them. Your arm will be savaged even if you 'go' with them and will make it ver hard to fight them off, basically that's why dogs are trained to take the arm.
Which Dog Breed Has the Strongest Jaw

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope. In the job I had before I retired we had dogs, a lot of us got to play the 'baddie' with them. Suit and pad up, once a dog has your arm frankly it doesn't matter what you do you will not dislodge those jaws, move whichever way you want. Being trained these dogs release on command, non trained dogs don't, in fact some breeds of dogs have jaws that lock on and only they can 'unlock' them. Your arm will be savaged even if you 'go' with them and will make it ver hard to fight them off, basically that's why dogs are trained to take the arm.
Which Dog Breed Has the Strongest Jaw

The dog's "locking jaws" has been proven to be a myth. Regardless, you will want them to bite down as you can immobilize rather than force the dog to let go of it's grip. Ripping out the dog's tongue, gouging it's eyes and nose, cutting off it's air supply, or severing major arteries so that it bleeds to death will eventually make any dog eventually let go no matter how strong their will to hold on is.

Pet Myths: Do certain dog breeds have “locking jaws?”

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh please, do you actually understand what I meant by looking. Obviously not because you don't understand what happens when a dog attacks. Dogs jaws are designed to grip and in those breeds that haven't had it bred out of them have jaws that grip with teeth that align perfectly when sunk into flesh so that they are considered to be locked, combined with the power of the jaw muscles your arm is not going to be pulled out until the dog was wants to let go usually to go for your throat. That is what is meant by 'locking', same way we have arm and leg locks, they aren't myths either.
I suppose the dog is going to just stand there while you rip it's tongue out etc? Good luck with that one.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The dog's "locking jaws" has been proven to be a myth. Regardless, you will want them to bite down as you can immobilize rather than force the dog to let go of it's grip. Ripping out the dog's tongue, gouging it's eyes and nose, cutting off it's air supply, or severing major arteries so that it bleeds to death will eventually make any dog eventually let go no matter how strong their will to hold on is.

Pet Myths: Do certain dog breeds have “locking jaws?”
Do you have any idea how hard it is to cut a dog's air off? They don't choke easy.... way too much muscle in their necks.

Since you're telling what's wrong when we disagree, maybe some explanation of your qualifications and expertise would boost your credibility.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a dog biting down on your arm. During the training of police dogs, guard dogs and patrol arm true dogs when a dog will not let go ie 'locks onto' an arm ( which is what is meant by 'locked jaws btw) it is very difficult to make them let go. The dog's idea is to drag on the arm to bring his 'prey' down then release and go for the throat. The dog doesn't stand still, it's alert to your movements. if you've ever played 'tug' with a dog you'll know they can let go of the toy but immediately bite on again without losing it but closer to your hand.
Your ideas are going to get you very badly bitten if not killed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd give it my arm to bite, under certain very specific circumstances...
1 - I really had no other choice anyway.
2 - The arm is wrapped in a heavy (not that word, it is key!) leather coat.
3 - I'm using my other hand to retrieve a weapon.
And even then I'm pretty sure I'd be really unhappy afterwards.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even through a sleeve specially made for dog baiting you can feel the power of the dog's jaws luckily without the teeth biting but it lets you know in no uncertain terms that the bite would be to the bone.
If you look on the internet there are thousands of horrendous photos of dog bites.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difficult one. Even a Staffy is bloody strong. Got bitten by a Labrador as a kid, and even being a quick bite (it disengaged as quick as the bite) it still went through my hand. But like the incident the other day, you can never tell when an animal is going to turn. I guess all animals like humans can have bad days, even cows and what not.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a dog biting down on your arm. During the training of police dogs, guard dogs and patrol arm true dogs when a dog will not let go ie 'locks onto' an arm ( which is what is meant by 'locked jaws btw) it is very difficult to make them let go. The dog's idea is to drag on the arm to bring his 'prey' down then release and go for the throat. The dog doesn't stand still, it's alert to your movements. if you've ever played 'tug' with a dog you'll know they can let go of the toy but immediately bite on again without losing it but closer to your hand.
Your ideas are going to get you very badly bitten if not killed.

ok so what do you suggest is the best solution to dealing with a dog attack then?

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how hard it is to cut a dog's air off? They don't choke easy.... way too much muscle in their necks.

Since you're telling what's wrong when we disagree, maybe some explanation of your qualifications and expertise would boost your credibility.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you have credibility and expertise then please enlighten me. I'm willing to admit i'm wrong if i can find a better solution.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isaiah90, Tez3, jks9199, myself and more all have work related experience with police dogs. So credibility is there. I actually have several friends that are K9 handlers as well and have had long conversations on this.

Dealing with a large size dog is problematic
. They have teeth and a strong bite. However, what makes dealing with a dog so dangerous is that we are just plain slow compared to them. In other words they are really fast! This is incredibly obvious when I play with my husky/sharpie mix. When just goofing around if he does not want me to touch him I simply can't touch him. If he wanted to strike my arm or groin, neck, etc. I think his chances are really, really good and for a human I am pretty fast. Why I have going for me is size and the ability to trick him. Still, if I take him or a similar dog on empty handed I am going to more than likely get bit really bad. So, with that in mind have an equalizer. Some kind of tool to even the odds like a stick, knife, gun. Then you can improve your chances! ;)

Latest Discussions