Some ideas for defending against dogs

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love dogs, I always have. Probably more than most. I know dogs, have known them since I was a kid. Been a cop, have a good friend who trains police dogs and have spent some years with him while they were trained. We, my wife and I, raised pits and staffs, our breeds of choice, and we've spoiled every dog we've ever had so rotten that we should probably be chumps in a sitcom.

But make no mistake about, there's a reason Homo-Sapiens are at the top of the food chain....and not dogs.
I would rather have a big, strong violent dog surprise me than a big, strong violent man.

"DOWN, you furry mother f'ker, or meet the Jesus dog while I line my boots with your belly fur." Belly fur be soft. :)

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love dogs, I always have. Probably more than most. I know dogs, have known them since I was a kid. Been a cop, have a good friend who trains police dogs and have spent some years with him while they were trained. We, my wife and I, raised pits and staffs, our breeds of choice, and we've spoiled every dog we've ever had so rotten that we should probably be chumps in a sitcom.

But make no mistake about, there's a reason Homo-Sapiens are at the top of the food chain....and not dogs.
I would rather have a big, strong violent dog surprise me than a big, strong violent man.

"DOWN, you furry mother f'ker, or meet the Jesus dog while I line my boots with your belly fur." Belly fur be soft. :)

I thought cats were the top of the food chain. After they managed to domesticate humans

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of bad ideas here...

You're not going to distract or deter an aggressive dog with a treat. That only works reliably in movies...
Standing still might work -- or it might not. You have to send the right signals -- and decide wether those are really the signals you want to send...

Rather than running through all of this point by point... Yeah, most of it is pretty off. Contact a dog handler, maybe see if your local PD's K9 unit will let you wear a bite suit... A truly attacking dog is more than a little on the formidable side of things. One thing... a dog relies on it's rear legs to drive into an attack. If you can get them off the ground... you get a lot of control. But that's a damn sight easier to say than do while being attacked...

When I was on a narcotics unit my partner was K-9 officer. Beyond going deaf in my left ear until the pup got used to me I got to wear the bit suit for training and demos. I loved one demo (sarcasm). I weighed 160 at the time. The pup was a Belgian Shepherd and dragged me from the pitchers mound in jerks with very little effort. Miss that pup. He was a beast and dedicated. After one vehicle pursuit he made two apprehensions in a matter of minutes without missing a beat. R.I.P partner of my Partner.

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I once kicked a pit pull that had attacked another dog in an attempt to save it's life. I attacked from the side kicking to the belly, the kick picked the dog up a couple inches but did not phase it and it did not cause it to let go of the other dog so I kicked it again, it still did not let go. The dog was so committed to the bite it ignored me. I avoided kicking the legs since I was a friend of the owner and the dog and I had a relationship. When the owner of the dog came out of the house he gained control and we saved the other dog. I learned that day if I ever had to defend myself against a dog it would be life or death, as if I was being attacked by an experienced knife fighter. In other words be prepared to get cut and cut again. I would look for Joint locks or kicks or strikes to the legs, attacks to the throat eyes groin solar plexus skull etc., throwing on the head and any other dirty trick are all fair game against any dog. If the dog has friends and they jump in I hope your life insurance is paid up your family may need it.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My post of use a taser was partly in jest. But as dog owner.(7 German shepherds right now) I have an idea of what dogs do. My dogs are trained on command. Not in English as I want to control them not somebody else. My female swims out 50 meters through waves to bring back whole coconuts or runs 200 meters down a mountain to bring them back. I have her trained to attack people between the legs. Seems reasonable as most of the would be criminals here are male. If she came at you? You might have a slight chance of trying to grab her front legs and rip them apart as the heart. This does a lot of damage to a dog. But seriously my first suggestion is best.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tasers do work, the problem is if the gasser is not cycling,, the dog can come right back at yas, the recovery from a taser cycle is very fast, even for a human, a matter of seconds.

The best thing I have found is oleoresin capsicum. Get one that is a spray, not stream, aim for the snout. It will get in the eyes, nose and lungs. It wears off but after about 30-40 minutes. Dogs are actually more sensitive to some of the effects due to their heightens sense of smell.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just punch it in the dick. Ameridote works on all life forms.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand...

upload_2016-6-20_0-48-50.png

upload_2016-6-20_0-49-33.png

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tasers do work, the problem is if the gasser is not cycling,, the dog can come right back at yas, the recovery from a taser cycle is very fast, even for a human, a matter of seconds.

The best thing I have found is oleoresin capsicum. Get one that is a spray, not stream, aim for the snout. It will get in the eyes, nose and lungs. It wears off but after about 30-40 minutes. Dogs are actually more sensitive to some of the effects due to their heightens sense of smell.
Pepper spray is fine unless you are in a confined or windy area. Easy just to make your own. Chili grows in my garden as a weed.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pepper spray is fine unless you are in a confined or windy area. Easy just to make your own. Chili grows in my garden as a weed.

Well windy yes. Confined? OC is like any weapons learn it and train with it. Hold your breath on deployment, so long as it isn't a fogger, and you are good.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know. Many years ago I had a large Great Dane. I used to leave him in my efficiency apartment sometimes. I once left my mace where he could get to it and he did. When I got back and realized he had chewed it I quickly checked the walls for claw marks. I figured he would have had to have made at least 10 or 15 laps around the walls at the first puncture. When I picked up the dispenser, he just looked at me sort of disappointed like, as if to say I needed to get him a better play toy than that.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. Many years ago I had a large Great Dane. I used to leave him in my efficiency apartment sometimes. I once left my mace where he could get to it and he did. When I got back and realized he had chewed it I quickly checked the walls for claw marks. I figured he would have had to have made at least 10 or 15 laps around the walls at the first puncture. When I picked up the dispenser, he just looked at me sort of disappointed like, as if to say I needed to get him a better play toy than that.

OC spray is actually very different than mace is terms of effect and duration of said effect, so if it was actual chemical Mace I would not be surprised at your description

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the pepper spray is a great idea, but I am never armed so it would be a lifetime away for me. If it happens to me I'll use throws, joint locks, strikes to the vital points and a prayer.
Every dog I ever practiced joint locking on gave complete resistance to the hold, which as we all know, makes them work even better, I have played aggressively with dogs I have owned and known and they are a sucker for joint locks, dogs don't seem to understand much about the gentle side of combat. When playing with the dogs I have 4 modes. I call them Dograte = hand strikes to vitals, Dog Kwon Do = kicks to vitals, Dog Fu = deception and tricks, and Dog Jitsu = various grappling tech. In a perfect world, the fight would end with a Dog Kwon Do tech. In many instances the dogs counter with bite attacks to the attacking limb or they will attack center mass. If not they make some distance. The problem with this training is every time I go to my buddy's house down the street his dogs think its playtime and they get ruff( pun intended).

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If the dog has a collar, grab and twist to choke them. Dogs have been killed by other dogs playing with them who accidently got their teeth stuck in collars.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But make no mistake about, there's a reason Homo-Sapiens are at the top of the food chain....and not dogs. I would rather have a big, strong violent dog surprise me than a big, strong violent man.

We are not at the top of the food chain by virtue of individual strength or fighting skill. We are more dangerous than other animals for two reasons:

First of all, we are social and travel in packs or bands. You know, strength in numbers and all that.

Secondly, we've used our intelligence to develop weapons.

...So we can kill any other animal including other, stronger humans if we have the necessary weapons and numbers on our side. One thing to remember about dogs is they've got the pack thing down too. If you are alone and you don't have a weapon, the odds aren't good.

As for reverting to our primate roots and escaping by climbing... usually there simply isn't enough time. I speak from experience. Once in my grad-school days I climbed over a tall fence topped with barb-wire to get into a junk yard late at night. It was a property leased by my friend Dave who was converting it into an alternative art-space/club called "Crash" where I was going to be setting up a show.

Anyway, I'd misplaced my key to the padlock, and being young, agile, and really stupid, I topped the fence and jumped down inside. I got about ten yards across the yard heading towards the "office" building when a black shadow appeared from around the corner and charged me. I didn't even have time to take a step. I can still clearly remember seeing a large doberman, a black blur with a lot of white teeth coming at me ...fast.

I just had time to realize that there was no possible way I could make it back to the fence. The dog jumped, slammed into me, knocked me back about three steps, ...somehow I kept on my feet and about then I realized that ...hey it's a friendly dog! He looked really evil though. Pointed ears, full length un-bobbed tail like some kind of demon.

Later Dave told me that he was a rescue dog named "Crack" and that he just had him there as a deterrent. "He barks like the devil, scares everyone away. But he wouldn't harm a soul". ....Lucky me. :)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are not at the top of the food chain by virtue of individual strength or fighting skill. We are more dangerous than other animals for two reasons:

First of all, we are social and travel in packs or bands. You know, strength in numbers and all that.

Secondly, we've used our intelligence to develop weapons.

...So we can kill any other animal including other, stronger humans if we have the necessary weapons and numbers on our side. One thing to remember about dogs is they've got the pack thing down too. If you are alone and you don't have a weapon, the odds aren't good.

As for reverting to our primate roots and escaping by climbing... usually there simply isn't enough time. I speak from experience. Once in my grad-school days I climbed over a tall fence topped with barb-wire to get into a junk yard late at night. It was a property leased by my friend Dave who was converting it into an alternative art-space/club called "Crash" where I was going to be setting up a show.

Anyway, I'd misplaced my key to the padlock, and being young, agile, and really stupid, I topped the fence and jumped down inside. I got about ten yards across the yard heading towards the "office" building when a black shadow appeared from around the corner and charged me. I didn't even have time to take a step. I can still clearly remember seeing a large doberman, a black blur with a lot of white teeth coming at me ...fast.

I just had time to realize that there was no possible way I could make it back to the fence. The dog jumped, slammed into me, knocked me back about three steps, ...somehow I kept on my feet and about then I realized that ...hey it's a friendly dog! He looked really evil though. Pointed ears, full length un-bobbed tail like some kind of demon.

Later Dave told me that he was a rescue dog named "Crack" and that he just had him there as a deterrent. "He barks like the devil, scares everyone away. But he wouldn't harm a soul". ....Lucky me. :)

Pretty much this^^^^

As for other suggestions the last thing you want to do against big strong dogs is go hands on, grabbing collars, legs etc. I have seen "bad guys" try this stuff time and time again vs a K-9. I even had a scenario, back in may Narcotics days, when my partner and I had to go into the creek mid apprehension because the bad guy was trying to drown his K-9. The pups are faster, good luck grabbing a leg and once they sink their teeth in, if they are truly aggressive they will not let go because of simple pain compliance unless ordered or forcibly pulled off.

Latest Discussions