Some ideas for defending against dogs

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right back at ya
Very mature. I just don't get folks who see "dislike" as an attack. If you disliked my post, then you disliked it before I rated yours. It's just a way to communicate, not a reason to say "nuh-uh - you are!"

D

Deleted member 34973

Very mature. I just don't get folks who see "dislike" as an attack. If you disliked my post, then you disliked it before I rated yours. It's just a way to communicate, not a reason to say "nuh-uh - you are!"
If that makes you feel better...go with that.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A farmer is only going to get his shotgun if he knows there's a dog worrying sheep, he cannot patrol hundreds of thousands of acres of hills just in case. The Dales are a huge area and sheep roam freely.

It's owners that are the problem not the dogs, the breed was a pitbull type. The owner is being charged with the man's death though the dog will be put down.

Positive it was a "put bull?" They are one of the most misidentified dogs on the planet. I've seen boxers and mastiffs labeled as pits before lol. Not even remotely the same breed. Much different personalities. Especially in how they think.

What hurts the breed of pits is that they are so damned independent. They think for themselves. If you train dogs...you know that isn't what you want. You want them to do as you say when you say.

Anyway. I've always been of the view that it doesn't matter what weapon you have. It is a lot easier to avoid a dog if you simply react properly. If the question is...what do you do if it is attacking you? Depends on the breed. Not too threatened by a deadly dachshund lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 34973

You'd like me to have a different interpretation of your action? That would require some input from you, other than "right back at ya".
Not really, over the last month, I have lost respect for your and Tez's opinions. To much drama. I know you disliked it because of the attitude, but it is funny, to me, that Tez's negative attitude towards my comment, escaped your thought process.

Drama, that is all you two are after.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive it was a "put bull?"

The report said 'pitbull type' not pitbull as such. The owner was young and male. the problem is more the owners than the dogs, many owners want something on the end of the lead that makes them look hard, bling the dog up with a spiked collar and a chain for a lead, make it growl and bark at everyone, wind it up so it goes for people and voila you have a 'problem' dog.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, over the last month, I have lost respect for your and Tez's opinions. To much drama. I know you disliked it because of the attitude, but it is funny, to me, that Tez's negative attitude towards my comment, escaped your thought process.

Drama, that is all you two are after.
If you choose to see it that way, I can live with that. Personally, I am here to share ideas with other martial artists and learn. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I like drama - I have little patience for it, myself. But you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The report said 'pitbull type' not pitbull as such. The owner was young and male. the problem is more the owners than the dogs, many owners want something on the end of the lead that makes them look hard, bling the dog up with a spiked collar and a chain for a lead, make it growl and bark at everyone, wind it up so it goes for people and voila you have a 'problem' dog.
When I was growing up, I had a neighbor who had a rottweiler he tried to train to be mean. Our mailbox was against their fence, so I took her a dog biscuit every time I got the mail. The guy couldn't figure out why his dog wouldn't bark and growl at me.

D

Deleted member 34973

If you choose to see it that way, I can live with that. Personally, I am here to share ideas with other martial artists and learn. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I like drama - I have little patience for it, myself. But you are certainly entitled to that opinion.
You are correct...but it is more of an observation...not an opinion. But, you can call it what you want.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can understand your inexperienced response.

Sweetie, trust me I'm experienced. ;) I've even done police dog handling as well. I'm sure lots of things have worked for you, can't see you fighting off a military attack dog though however much fun that would be.

D

Deleted member 34973

Sweetie, trust me I'm experienced. ;) I've even done police dog handling as well. I'm sure lots of things have worked for you, can't see you fighting off a military attack dog though however much fun that would be.
It would be a dead dog honey. I have a friend that trains police dogs. His thought was the same as yours, didnt buy it. Wanted me to put the suit on and try, I declined the suit but accepted his challenge on 3 different dogs, same result...the last one was very aggressive (his personal pick). It ended when he said "please dont kill my dog".

I think people give attack dogs to much credit. The only weapon they have, are teeth, thats it, nuetralize that and they are useless.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be a dead dog honey. I have a friend that trains police dogs. His thought was the same as yours, didnt buy it. Wanted me to put the suit on and try, I declined the suit but accepted his challenge on 3 different dogs, same result...the last one was very aggressive (his personal pick). It ended when he said "please dont kill my dog".

I think people give attack dogs to much credit. The only weapon they have, are teeth, thats it, nuetralize that and they are useless.

I like people with a good sense of humour, always like a good wind up too but you have to be careful not to go OTT.
Your friend, I guarantee, wouldn't think like me, unless of course he thinks you are a bit of a fantasist too of course. You realise of course, baiting in a suit with a dog trained to go for the arm isn't exactly what we are talking about don't you? There is a big difference between police dogs and attack dogs btw.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strangely enough.we have a town full of pig hunting dogs. But dont seem to have many attacks.

Better ownership or more stable personalities in the dogs mabye?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive it was a "put bull?" They are one of the most misidentified dogs on the planet. I've seen boxers and mastiffs labeled as pits before lol. Not even remotely the same breed. Much different personalities. Especially in how they think.

What hurts the breed of pits is that they are so damned independent. They think for themselves. If you train dogs...you know that isn't what you want. You want them to do as you say when you say.

Anyway. I've always been of the view that it doesn't matter what weapon you have. It is a lot easier to avoid a dog if you simply react properly. If the question is...what do you do if it is attacking you? Depends on the breed. Not too threatened by a deadly dachshund lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of them can't seem to think, at all, much less for themselves. :D(Reference my quote about my intelligence-deficient pit-mix.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough.we have a town full of pig hunting dogs. But dont seem to have many attacks.

Better ownership or more stable personalities in the dogs mabye?

I imagine it's because they are working dogs who are trained and aren't used to boost their owner's egos.

stungunsusa

White Belt
Reaction score
I usually don't have issues with dogs attacking me. It's the ones that steal your identity that suck! One minute hes mans best friend! The next, hes stealing your checkbook and commiting fraud smashing your good name and bringing down your 775 FICO. :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watch yourselves, this thread is being watched.

original-e0046a970653f352117957c101941cc6.jpg

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like people with a good sense of humour, always like a good wind up too but you have to be careful not to go OTT.
Your friend, I guarantee, wouldn't think like me, unless of course he thinks you are a bit of a fantasist too of course. You realise of course, baiting in a suit with a dog trained to go for the arm isn't exactly what we are talking about don't you? There is a big difference between police dogs and attack dogs btw.

You beat me to it. Working dogs aren't trained to go for the throat they are trained to apprehend so they go for the easiest bits to get to, namely the limbs. Then you add in the other factor, how are they being trained. Our dogs are trained to be very high drive. Other departments get dogs with less drive because they also want them to tolerate a kid petting them at a PR rally. These dogs are actually usually good off a lead for searches as well. We do demonstrations but no one but the handler touches the dogs and the dogs are never off the lead unless the handler can't follow or its apprehension time.

Latest Discussions