So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who the heck is Sheldon Cooper and why should I care?
He is a character from a sitcom. At post 133 you can see a clip of him shocking himself when he hits himself on the forehead.
And taking your threads with a 'grain of salt' as you advise surely means you aren't posting seriously and therefore may be trolling.
What Im saying is don't take my posts personally. Its pointless to get all worked up over something you read on some forum. And besides, you might not be somebody that my question in a post is directed to, so if you're going to read and answer it anyway you're just wasting your time. But, its your time to waste not mine.
When you put a thread up you cannot then complain that people discuss it, we all have different ideas and different thoughts you cannot censor those into something you agree with or decide that people mean something they do not.
Some of my threads are only directed at people with certain viewpoints and if you don't have those certain viewpoints than Im not asking you the questions in the thread and you read and answer them you're wasting your time, see above.
What you are actually saying is 'if you don't agree with me don't read my thread or comment', that's not what this place is for, it's not supposed to be about one or two people only posting what they want and getting huffy because people then post what they think or believe.
Read or post whatever you want but if you get all exasperated about what I post don't say I didn't warn you.

By the way martial arts is still nothing like Scouting.
They've got some stuff in common, they both emphasize hard work, being prepared, both scouting and not all but many of the martial arts have a ranking system of some sort, and both teach qualities of leadership. Some of the martial arts are even used in some Boyscout activities although most of the arts are unfortunately banned from Boyscouts except for Judo, Aikido, and Tai Chi.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm not the one who should be compared to someone who is 'dumb in a lot of ways'...
I can't compare you to anybody. I don't know you from Adam just like you don't know me from Adam.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a character from a sitcom. At post 133 you can see a clip of him shocking himself when he hits himself on the forehead.

Quoting a television character is somewhat odd.

What Im saying is don't take my posts personally. Its pointless to get all worked up over something you read on some forum. And besides, you might not be somebody that my question in a post is directed to, so if you're going to read and answer it anyway you're just wasting your time. But, its your time to waste not mine.

Look, this is a discussion forum not your personal site. You don't get to decide who answers and what their answers should be.

Some of my threads are only directed at people with certain viewpoints and if you don't have those certain viewpoints than Im not asking you the questions in the thread and you read and answer them you're wasting your time, see above.

Private conversations then should be done by PM. You cannot choose who posts.

Read or post whatever you want but if you get all exasperated about what I post don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm not exasperated by your posts just the fact you don't understand what a discussion site is for.

They've got some stuff in common, they both emphasize hard work, being prepared, both scouting and not all but many of the martial arts have a ranking system of some sort, and both teach qualities of leadership. Some of the martial arts are even used in some Boyscout activities although most of the arts are unfortunately banned from Boyscouts except for Judo, Aikido, and Tai Chi.

You cannot talk about Scouting as if you know every Scout Association, you don't. Here, in the original one, there is nothing to say you can't do martial arts, Scouting doesn't impinge on other hobbies you have, in fact quite the opposite, there are badges you can earn for them and that includes martial arts. Scouting in the UK doesn't have a 'ranking system' nor do most of the Scouting Associations I've worked with in Europe, they have leaders of course but no rank involved.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can't compare you to anybody. I don't know you from Adam just like you don't know me from Adam.

I am beginning to get the impression (Ok I had this impression awhile ago) that you will continue to post the same topics over and over again until everyone agrees with you. And if they don't then, well they are taking it off topic..... also interesting

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to get the impression (Ok I had this impression awhile ago) that you will continue to post the same topics over and over again until everyone agrees with you. And if they don't then, well they are taking it off topic..... also interesting

Wearing us down until we agree with him lol, ain't going to happen, I've got kids I can resist. :D

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look, this is a discussion forum not your personal site. You don't get to decide who answers and what their answers should be.
I never said otherwise.

Private conversations then should be done by PM. You cannot choose who posts.
No I can't. Like I said if you want to waste your time that's your choice not mine.

I'm not exasperated by your posts just the fact you don't understand what a discussion site is for.
Supposedly its you who doesn't understand what I understand, or that's the impression Im getting.

You cannot talk about Scouting as if you know every Scout Association, you don't. Here, in the original one, there is nothing to say you can't do martial arts, Scouting doesn't impinge on other hobbies you have, in fact quite the opposite, there are badges you can earn for them and that includes martial arts. Scouting in the UK doesn't have a 'ranking system' nor do most of the Scouting Associations I've worked with in Europe, they have leaders of course but no rank involved.
Im talking about BSA, Boyscouts of America, in particular, not other scouting organizations.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly its you who doesn't understand what I understand, or that's the impression Im getting.

No, you keep telling us what you mean, we got it several threads and many, many, many posts ago...and we still don't agree with you.

If you are posting and feel that what you write is wasting our time then I'd suggest you are trolling at worst, being unclear at best.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
More along the lines that some of my threads only apply to people who have the same opinion on certain stuff that I do. If you don't have the same opinion Im not going to try to get you to change your mind but there would really be no point in you answering the thread.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
More along the lines that some of my threads only apply to people who have the same opinion on certain stuff that I do. If you don't have the same opinion Im not going to try to get you to change your mind but there would really be no point in you answering the thread.

So you are saying that having the same opinion is somehow different than agreeing with you.....interesting

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are posting and feel that what you write is wasting our time then I'd suggest you are trolling at worst, being unclear at best.
Well put it this way, lets say I start a thread about strategies on how to achieve rank. Now, somebody who isn't interested in rank there really would be no point in them reading or answering such a thread and for them to do so would be a waste of time for them. Its their choice if they want to read or answer it but if they do than they made the choice to waste their own time. It would not be a waste of time for people who are interested in achieving rank but it would be for people who don't care for that. If somebody doesn't care about rank Im not going to try to get them to change their mind about it but I don't see why they would bother to get involved in a thread about strategies on how to achieve rank, much like I would never get involved in a thread about interior decorating and how to get good at it. Why? Because interior decoration is a field I have absolutely no interest in.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you are saying that having the same opinion is somehow different than agreeing with you.....interesting
It can be. Having the same opinion is not that simple. Once you share an opinion with somebody on something, then there is other stuff that has to be taken into consideration. How do you go about doing what you want to do? There can be much debate with that. You see that in politics all the time, people agreeing on a certain political position but debating on how to go about gaining that position. I could give specific examples but I don't want to get too much into politics on this board.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well put it this way, lets say I start a thread about strategies on how to achieve rank. Now, somebody who isn't interested in rank there really would be no point in them reading or answering such a thread and for them to do so would be a waste of time for them. Its their choice if they want to read or answer it but if they do than they made the choice to waste their own time. It would not be a waste of time for people who are interested in achieving rank but it would be for people who don't care for that. If somebody doesn't care about rank Im not going to try to get them to change their mind about it but I don't see why they would bother to get involved in a thread about strategies on how to achieve rank, much like I would never get involved in a thread about interior decorating and how to get good at it. Why? Because interior decoration is a field I have absolutely no interest in.

Do let me know if you ever find a thread about interior design on MT, it's very unlikely isn't it? what you will find is threads on martial arts, we are martial artists therefore we are interested in threads on here.

People who aren't interested in achieving rank still have opinions on the subject though, something I don't think you understand.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It can be. Having the same opinion is not that simple. Once you share an opinion with somebody on something, then there is other stuff that has to be taken into consideration. How do you go about doing what you want to do? There can be much debate with that. You see that in politics all the time, people agreeing on a certain political position but debating on how to go about gaining that position. I could give specific examples but I don't want to get too much into politics on this board.

So you only want to discuss things with those that think the same as you..... seems like an incredibly boring and safe conversation... rather telling don't you think... but then it is not exactly what MT is about....

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do let me know if you ever find a thread about interior design on MT, it's very unlikely isn't it? what you will find is threads on martial arts, we are martial artists therefore we are interested in threads on here.
You might. There are certain folders dedicated to discussing everything and anything, within the rules of the forum. So you never know, you just might find a thread on interior decoration.

People who aren't interested in achieving rank still have opinions on the subject though, something I don't think you understand.
Sure they do. But I don't see why they would constantly post their opinion on a thread that's about how to obtain rank. I can see them maybe posting it once, that they don't care about achieving rank, and then moving on. So, if I keep asking the same questions over and over again know this, the questions might be directed at people who hold a certain viewpoint. For instance, they might be directed at people who do want to achieve rank. So if you don't care for rank you only need to answer the question once, you can say you don't care about it, and move on. You don't need to keep answering it since you already answered it the first time.

Also, I would like to point this out. I can't stop you from reading or responding to anything I post on MT but by the same token I don't force you to read or respond to anything I post. So if you don't like something I post know this, I didn't make you read it. It was your choice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure they do. But I don't see why they would constantly post their opinion on a thread that's about how to obtain rank.

Because the answer is very simple. If you want rank, go buy a belt and sew some stripes on it. Ashida Kim will even print you a fancy certificate.
That's all it takes.

Now, if you wanted to talk about ways to obtain SKILL, you'd find lots of people interested in talking to you.

You inability to grasp the difference between these two things is the root of your difficulties.
Not anybody else.
You.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you only want to discuss things with those that think the same as you.....
Just because somebody thinks the same way I do about a particular subject, interest, or position doesn't mean they think or agree with everything that has to do with that particular subject, interest, or position. Take this MT forum for example. This entire website is about the martial arts, with some exceptions such as the folders that are open to free discussion on non MA topics, but just about everybody on this forum has some fascination or at least some interest in the martial arts, otherwise you probably wouldn't be here. However, just because we share this common interest, in this case the martial arts, doesn't mean we agree with everything about the martial arts. In fact, there is tons of debate and tons of disagreements on this board. So in a broad sense we do all think the same, we all share an interest in the martial arts, but that doesn't mean we all think the same way when it comes to specific topics about the martial arts.

seems like an incredibly boring and safe conversation... rather telling don't you think... but then it is not exactly what MT is about....
See above.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because the answer is very simple. If you want rank, go buy a belt and sew some stripes on it. Ashida Kim will even print you a fancy certificate.
That's all it takes.
And as I said before, that's a cheap way of gaining rank and I don't care for a cheap rank. And by cheap I mean in terms of knowledge, skill, and ability requirements not financial requirements, although buying a belt as you suggest is cheap in all those regards.

Now, if you wanted to talk about ways to obtain SKILL, you'd find lots of people interested in talking to you.
And unless you go to a place that has cheap requirements for rank (see above) than rank and skill go hand in hand, or at least you won't find anybody with a high rank who didn't obtain a high level of skill first. Sure you might find people who do have a high level of skill and just don't care about rank but as I said before, many of my posts and threads are not directed at them.

You inability to grasp the difference between these two things is the root of your difficulties.
Not anybody else.
You.
I have grasped the difference as explained above.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just because somebody thinks the same way I do about a particular subject, interest, or position doesn't mean they think or agree with everything that has to do with that particular subject, interest, or position. Take this MT forum for example. This entire website is about the martial arts, with some exceptions such as the folders that are open to free discussion on non MA topics, but just about everybody on this forum has some fascination or at least some interest in the martial arts, otherwise you probably wouldn't be here. However, just because we share this common interest, in this case the martial arts, doesn't mean we agree with everything about the martial arts. In fact, there is tons of debate and tons of disagreements on this board. So in a broad sense we do all think the same, we all share an interest in the martial arts, but that doesn't mean we all think the same way when it comes to specific topics about the martial arts.

I honestly do not think you understand what you are saying here.

Just because somebody thinks the same way I do about a particular subject, interest, or position doesn't mean they think or agree with everything that has to do with that particular subject, interest, or position.

For example you said “Just because somebody thinks the same way I do about a particular subject” you then wrote “doesn't mean they think or agree with everything that has to do with that particular subject, interest, or position.”

Basically you just said just because someone thinks like I do about something does not mean they think like I do about something.

Take this MT forum for example. This entire website is about the martial arts, with some exceptions such as the folders that are open to free discussion on non MA topics, but just about everybody on this forum has some fascination or at least some interest in the martial arts, otherwise you probably wouldn't be here.

Mostly true, some are here to agitate and irritate (trolls), but for the most part you are correct. But this statement begs the question, then why do you feel that if someone does not share your opinion on a topic that they should not post in your thread?

However, just because we share this common interest, in this case the martial arts, doesn't mean we agree with everything about the martial arts.

This true, however you have already stated, that you believe a prerequisite to posting in one of your threads, is that one should share your opinion on your topics

In fact, there is tons of debate and tons of disagreements on this board. So in a broad sense we do all think the same, we all share an interest in the martial arts, but that doesn't mean we all think the same way when it comes to specific topics about the martial arts.

That is also true, but that is not what you were saying before, as a matter of fact it contradicts what you previously posted. See below

Basically here you are saying there is no reason for someone to post in your threads if they do not already agree with you

And again here, you seem to require that someone have the same opinion as you as a preqequsit to responding to what you post.

Do you understand that you are posting contradictory things here?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically you just said just because someone thinks like I do about something does not mean they think like I do about something.
They might think like you do about something at one level but not think like you do about it at another level.

This true, however you have already stated, that you believe a prerequisite to posting in one of your threads, is that one should share your opinion on your topics
It is not up to me to set prerequisites for posting in my threads as I am not in charge of MT and people can post what they want within the rules of MT. However, if they're going to constantly post in one of my threads that is about a topic they have no interest in and they constantly make it clear they have no interest in that topic, I am going to ignore their posts. If they get frustrated about constantly answering my questions over and over again that's because they haven't exercised their option of not answering.

As for answering the rest of your post, how can I put this to you? We both have an interest in the martial arts, that's why we're both on MT. So, we agree with something. Now, there are certain things about the martial arts that we might disagree on. For instance you might prefer style A over style B and I might prefer style B on style A. So we might agree about something at a surface level, martial arts is interesting, but we disagree with certain stuff at deeper levels, such as which styles we prefer.

Latest Discussions