So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they get frustrated about constantly answering my questions over and over again that's because they haven't exercised their option of not answering

The problem is that you post the same question over and over again causing even the most benign and sympathetic posters to get frustrated. You are showing a lot of ego here, as if it's all about you.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is that you post the same question over and over again causing even the most benign and sympathetic posters to get frustrated.
Well you can always ignore it when I do that. You don't have to answer my questions over and over again. Maybe my questions aren't directed at you or other certain other specific people. If you choose to answer my questions anyway, over and over again, than you brought that upon yourself by not exercising the option I mentioned above.
You are showing a lot of ego here, as if it's all about you.
Welcome to the world of martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you can always ignore it when I do that. You don't have to answer my questions over and over again. Maybe my questions aren't directed at you or other certain other specific people. If you choose to answer my questions anyway, over and over again, than you brought that upon yourself by not exercising the option I mentioned above.

Really, you do think it's all about you don't you?
I don't answer your questions over and over by the way, but kinder, more patient people than I do and you are being grossly unfair to them because you are clearly ungrateful for that time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They might think like you do about something at one level but not think like you do about it at another level.

It is not up to me to set prerequisites for posting in my threads as I am not in charge of MT and people can post what they want within the rules of MT. However, if they're going to constantly post in one of my threads that is about a topic they have no interest in and they constantly make it clear they have no interest in that topic, I am going to ignore their posts. If they get frustrated about constantly answering my questions over and over again that's because they haven't exercised their option of not answering.

As for answering the rest of your post, how can I put this to you? We both have an interest in the martial arts, that's why we're both on MT. So, we agree with something. Now, there are certain things about the martial arts that we might disagree on. For instance you might prefer style A over style B and I might prefer style B on style A. So we might agree about something at a surface level, martial arts is interesting, but we disagree with certain stuff at deeper levels, such as which styles we prefer.

You are not getting this are you... you contradicted your own posts...but just don't seem to understand how...

Welcome to the world of martial arts.

so can you explain what reposting the same old tired over done posts over and over again in some sort of quest to get everyone to agree with you...or you will post the same thing again...have to do with the "world of martial arts"

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are not getting this are you... you contradicted your own posts...but just don't seem to understand how...
No I believe it is you who is not getting it. How can I put it to you that its possible to agree about something at one level but disagree at another level? Its not a contradiction if you do a little deep thinking.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really, you do think it's all about you don't you?
No I don't. That's why if somebody has taken a different position on a certain topic of discussion I am not going to try to change their minds, I will instead respect their position and ask other people what they think.
I don't answer your questions over and over by the way, but kinder, more patient people than I do and you are being grossly unfair to them because you are clearly ungrateful for that time.
Maybe my questions weren't even directed at them in the first place.
BTW thank you for not answering my questions over and over as they weren't directed at you in the first place.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't. That's why if somebody has taken a different position on a certain topic of discussion I am not going to try to change their minds, I will instead respect their position and ask other people what they think.

Maybe my questions weren't even directed at them in the first place.
BTW thank you for not answering my questions over and over as they weren't directed at you in the first place.

If posts are to be directed to individuals then there is little point in you posting here, you would be better discussing by FB or email/PMs. Either it's an open discussion or it's a private one, you need to make your mind up. On here and every other forum the discussions are public, you don't get to chose who posts on threads.
The point of discussion isn't to persuade others to think as you do it's to explore ideas and thoughts. I haven't changed my mind very often reading what other's have written but many times I've been given food for thought, seen another view or had an enjoyable debate with someone who has different views from mine. If you debate your views it makes you think about them more which is always good. I don't know what your intent is when posting here, I suspect it's to find those who will endorse your own thoughts about things which isn't really too healthy.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If posts are to be directed to individuals then there is little point in you posting here, you would be better discussing by FB or email/PMs. Either it's an open discussion or it's a private one, you need to make your mind up. On here and every other forum the discussions are public, you don't get to chose who posts on threads.
Maybe its an open discussion but its directed at people who share a common interest or position. Take for instance this very website. MT is an open forum and its directed at people who have an interest, involvement, or some sort of connection to the martial arts. And it is open to everybody, including people who don't care for the martial arts but for such people to come on this forum I would find a bit unusual. Somebody whose never done martial arts before might come here out of some curiosity they have on the subject but as for somebody whose made up their mind that they've got no interest in the martial arts, while there is no rule that says they can't come here could you imagine somebody posting on these boards over and over again that they have no interest in the martial arts? Sounds quite silly doesn't it? Same thing with some of my threads. They are directed at people who share certain interests and positions with me and for people to keep posting on them about how they don't share the positions would be like the person who comes here and keeps posting that they aren't interested in MA.

The point of discussion isn't to persuade others to think as you do it's to explore ideas and thoughts. I haven't changed my mind very often reading what other's have written but many times I've been given food for thought, seen another view or had an enjoyable debate with someone who has different views from mine. If you debate your views it makes you think about them more which is always good. I don't know what your intent is when posting here, I suspect it's to find those who will endorse your own thoughts about things which isn't really too healthy.
You're quite right, and considering what you just said I would like to point out that lots of questions have multiple answers. You are aware that when you're presented with a problem there might be multiple ways of solving it, and often there is. As a matter of fact a common exercise done with problem solving is to present a problem and then after certain solutions have been proposed to take away those solutions and see what other options exist for solving the problem. So, maybe when I ask the same questions over and over again I am looking for different answers from different people. As for the people who keep giving me the same answer over and over again, they already gave me their answer the first time so there is no need for them to keep giving it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the people who keep giving me the same answer over and over again, they already gave me their answer the first time so there is no need for them to keep giving it.

What you are looking for isn't different opinions, it's opinions that you agree with. Some questions only have one answer, that you don't like that answer is something you have to reconcile yourself to. Asking it again and again won't change that answer.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are looking for isn't different opinions, it's opinions that you agree with.
Well lets face it, we all do that to some extent. After all, MT is for people who share the opinion that they enjoy the martial arts, or that they have some interest in it. We're not looking for people who have no interest in the martial arts.

Some questions only have one answer, that you don't like that answer is something you have to reconcile yourself to. Asking it again and again won't change that answer.
Some do but some don't. Lots of the questions I ask have multiple answers or solutions. The martial arts itself often deals with multiple solutions to problems, just look at the myriad of different martial arts styles.

And now for a game of Chess.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No I believe it is you who is not getting it. How can I put it to you that its possible to agree about something at one level but disagree at another level? Its not a contradiction if you do a little deep thinking.

Well you are right there, I don't get illogical and non sequitur statements you are making all that well. And you have absolutely no idea what I said do you? I am simply saying that you "Photoguy" have contradicted your own posts in this thread. And I I'm sorry but I have to say I doubt you have the capacity for deep thinking, you either do not comprehend what is written here or you are not reading it before you respond......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People on MartialTalk have said that martial arts training is not the same thing as Boy Scouts. Well, they're not exactly the same thing but they do have some stuff in common. And they do have some of the same principals. And, if you're going to say that Martial Arts is nothing like Boy Scouts I would have to say you're wrong and you really can't say that with any credibility if you weren't ever a Boy Scout yourself. I was a Boy Scout so I know.

This is your OP, you aren't asking any questions you are making a statement (and it's principles btw principals are a different thing), you are also saying you are correct merely because you were a Scout. This isn't conducive to neither good discussion nor good debate. Nearly all yur threads start with a stament which people are then expected to agree with, if they don't agree you decide they shouldn't reply or 'bother' with the thread.

And for the record I was a Scout Leader, am currently a Girl Guide Leader and will say categorically Scouting is not like martial arts anymore than anything else is. Scouting is a Game, that's how Lord Baden-Powell designed it to be, if your Scouting isn't a game then it's not real Scouting. Martial arts aren't a game.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Photonguy, for what it's worth, everyone here makes choices. In my opinion, if you want to post the same thing over and over, you're not all that different from anyone else. Just about everyone here is in the same boat. Just be prepared for the consequences.

it's kind of funny from the outside looking in, to see three pages of posts all saying the same thing to photon guy about his posting the same things over and over. Kind of a meta moment for me. Worth a chuckle. I'm sure the admins appreciate the traffic you generate, if nothing else. And I appreciate the absurdity of the threads you seem to foster. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And for the record I was a Scout Leader, am currently a Girl Guide Leader and will say categorically Scouting is not like martial arts anymore than anything else is. Scouting is a Game, that's how Lord Baden-Powell designed it to be, if your Scouting isn't a game then it's not real Scouting. Martial arts aren't a game.
Martial arts aren't a game? Says who?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Photonguy, for what it's worth, everyone here makes choices. In my opinion, if you want to post the same thing over and over, you're not all that different from anyone else. Just about everyone here is in the same boat. Just be prepared for the consequences.

it's kind of funny from the outside looking in, to see three pages of posts all saying the same thing to photon guy about his posting the same things over and over. Kind of a meta moment for me. Worth a chuckle. I'm sure the admins appreciate the traffic you generate, if nothing else. And I appreciate the absurdity of the threads you seem to foster. :)

Sometimes when one is trying to get a point across to one, that is obvious to many, it takes time and effort...however there does come a time, when comprehension is unlikely, when one should stop hitting the wall with a hammer...put it down...and walk away..... that time has come

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you are right there, I don't get illogical and non sequitur statements you are making all that well. And you have absolutely no idea what I said do you? I am simply saying that you "Photoguy" have contradicted your own posts in this thread. And I I'm sorry but I have to say I doubt you have the capacity for deep thinking, you either do not comprehend what is written here or you are not reading it before you respond......

I am being very logical and I am not contradicting myself. It is you who at least isn't using any deep thinking when reading my posts. Let me put it simply and maybe this time you will get it. We both agree that martial arts is interesting. So we agree on that. However, we disagree in what styles we prefer, you prefer style A and I prefer style B. So there you have it, what part don't you understand?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is your OP, you aren't asking any questions you are making a statement (and it's principles btw principals are a different thing), you are also saying you are correct merely because you were a Scout. This isn't conducive to neither good discussion nor good debate. Nearly all yur threads start with a stament which people are then expected to agree with, if they don't agree you decide they shouldn't reply or 'bother' with the thread.

Well I've said this in an earlier post but I was talking about BSA (Boyscouts of America) in particular. I was not talking about other scouting organizations and I probably should've clarified that with my first post. As for whatever scouting organization you're involved in I wouldn't know about it but I do know that BSA does have some stuff in common with the martial arts as I also said before. As for martial arts not being a game, sometimes it is used as a game. Ever hear of tournaments and sport competition?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am being very logical and I am not contradicting myself. It is you who at least isn't using any deep thinking when reading my posts. Let me put it simply and maybe this time you will get it. We both agree that martial arts is interesting. So we agree on that. However, we disagree in what styles we prefer, you prefer style A and I prefer style B. So there you have it, what part don't you understand?

I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

You are arguing against something I am not saying and you are also arguing against something you previously said...but you do not have any clue about this do you......I do believe you are Cognitively-impaired

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've said this in an earlier post but I was talking about BSA (Boyscouts of America) in particular. I was not talking about other scouting organizations and I probably should've clarified that with my first post. As for whatever scouting organization you're involved in I wouldn't know about it but I do know that BSA does have some stuff in common with the martial arts as I also said before. As for martial arts not being a game, sometimes it is used as a game. Ever hear of tournaments and sport competition?

Wow, you really don't know your Scouting history do you. You really should know about 'our' Scouting as it is the original that every other Scouting organisation is based on. Your Scouts are part of worldwide Scouting, it isn't an organisation in isolation. Welcome Scout.org and World Organization of the Scout Movement - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Tournaments and competitions aren't games, you just said it yourself they are sports.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, you really don't know your Scouting history do you. You really should know about 'our' Scouting as it is the original that every other Scouting organisation is based on. Your Scouts are part of worldwide Scouting, it isn't an organisation in isolation. Welcome Scout.org and World Organization of the Scout Movement - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Organization_of_the_Scout_Movement
I've never studied much of the history of scouting on how BSA evolved, Im only talking about my own experience with BSA.

Tournaments and competitions aren't games, you just said it yourself they are sports.
And sports aren't games? Ever hear the song, "Take Me Out To The Ball GAME"?

Latest Discussions