Poomsae Dollyeo Chagi

Muffynz

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm seeing variations of Dollyeochagi in poomsae competition and curious as to the correct finish. Is the impact part of the foot the instep or ball of the foot as in Apchagi, as both variations seem to be in use.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm seeing variations of Dollyeochagi in poomsae competition and curious as to the correct finish. Is the impact part of the foot the instep or ball of the foot as in Apchagi, as both variations seem to be in use.
It can be either one. Usually, a roundhouse kick to the mid-section is with the ball of the foot of penetration. A kick to the head is with the top of the foot for impact.

As far as judging Poomsae is concerned, it would follow the specific form requirements.

OP
M

Muffynz

White Belt
Reaction score
Correct, in taegeuk 6 it's a head shot, but Kukkiwon training videos show instep impact, yet in competition I see the toes pulled back, this is not the only example

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Correct, in taegeuk 6 it's a head shot, but Kukkiwon training videos show instep impact, yet in competition I see the toes pulled back, this is not the only example
That is as nice a performance of Taegeuk 6 as I have seen in a while.

And to be fair, that was an elite level performance, not something everyone can do.
It does appear she kicked with the top of her foot, granted the toes did have a little bit of curl which would be a point deduction.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Correct" in KKW poomsae competition is with the instep. In ITF poomsae competition, it is the ball of the foot. In breaking, speed breaks are often done with the instep, power breaks are generally done with the ball of the foot. In sparing, it just depends on the cirumstances.

OP
M

Muffynz

White Belt
Reaction score
Cheers, all of Ikpil Kangs books including his latest show the kick with the instep, and then the Kukkiwon text book 2 Basics, borderlines on a variation between them both. I'll stick with teaching Ikpils variation. Thanks for the confirmation.

OP
M

Muffynz

White Belt
Reaction score
"Correct" in KKW poomsae competition is with the instep. In ITF poomsae competition, it is the ball of the foot. In breaking, speed breaks are often done with the instep, power breaks are generally done with the ball of the foot. In sparing, it just depends on the cirumstances.
We used the ball in Hapkido for the round kick as well, and very rarely use the round kick for breaking boards in TKD.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We used the ball in Hapkido for the round kick as well, and very rarely use the round kick for breaking boards in TKD.
We break with it a lot. It's one of the most commonly used kicks, so it's best to be sure you can deliver it, with power, without injuring yourself. Breaking is good for that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I teach ball of the foot, instep, and shin. Options are good. And we're not what you'd call a competition-oriented school.

OP
M

Muffynz

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I teach ball of the foot, instep, and shin. Options are good. And we're not what you'd call a competition-oriented school.
Nice, I teach poomsae to the strict standard I can research. Self defense is another matter, with a very long history of boxing, hapkido, and taekwondo anything goes, but rarely teach high kicks for defense, that requires a lot of speed, but I do teach how to deal with high kicks then lock someone up, which is a lot easier to teach.

Latest Discussions