So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Than perhaps I shouldn't take your responses so personally. The way I see it, it looks like you're trying to cause trouble with many of your responses to my posts but you're pointing out that that's not the case.

I'm not causing trouble. I'm pointing out factual errors and just plain silliness.

You're not still bitter about my comments about martial arts programs in YMCAs are you?

Still? Never was, so I can't "still" be. You're speaking from ignorance. Ignorance doesn't rate anger or bitterness. At most, rueful amusement. Or public laughter.

As for rank, Im not all that obsessed with it. I personally think, and this is just me, that making it to first degree black belt is a good goal and after that rank doesn't concern me all that much. As for Boy Scouts, I made it to Star and Im fine with that. The reason I didn't continue with Scouts is because of a combination of a family situation and the situation with my troop. Besides, I didn't have a burning desire to be an Eagle Scout. If I did I would've found a way of doing it, I would've joined another troop, ect. But as I said, I was fine with Star.

Your posts indicate otherwise.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does it cover the fanny?

That depends on which side of the Atlantic you are on

*ducks for cover before Tez clobbers me*

:redcaptur

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scouting is a game? I beg to differ.

Lord Robert Baden-Powell the founder of Scouting called it a Game, I'm not going to disagree with the man who came up with the idea of Scouting, are you?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scouting is not an abstruse or difficult science: rather it is a jolly game if you take it in the right light. In the same time it is educative, and (like Mercy) it is apt to benefit him that giveth as well as him that receives.
  • Aids to Scoutmastership (1920) Preface. Lord Baden-Powell.

Think about what scouting is and what it is for, read the quotes of B-P to find it's real meaning, you don't seem to have grasped the true concept of what Scouting is, comparing it to anything is to demean Scouting and that other thing. There is always a place for people in scouting whatever there age, one doesn't have to leave, you can always be a Scout.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
"To flog a dead horse" Not sure about the origin of the saying, but in the UK it generally means one is looking at a hopeless situation.

We do it all the time and if you ever studied history you will know what I mean. An example will be how, to this day, people are still debating whether or not Japan should've been nuked in WWII. The fact of the matter is, had Japan not been nuked than the argument would've been that Japan should've been nuked and what the outcome would've been, but what it all comes down to is that Japan was nuked and arguing about it now would be pointless since its been done and what's done is done and arguing about it now won't change the past. So, people are flogging a dead horse in that regard.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not causing trouble. I'm pointing out factual errors and just plain silliness.

Right. Well than I interpreted you wrong.

Still? Never was, so I can't "still" be. You're speaking from ignorance. Ignorance doesn't rate anger or bitterness. At most, rueful amusement. Or public laughter.

Than I stand corrected about martial arts programs in YMCAs.

Your posts indicate otherwise.

You could say Im obsessed with achievement, and rank is a type of achievement.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do it all the time and if you ever studied history you will know what I mean. An example will be how, to this day, people are still debating whether or not Japan should've been nuked in WWII. The fact of the matter is, had Japan not been nuked than the argument would've been that Japan should've been nuked and what the outcome would've been, but what it all comes down to is that Japan was nuked and arguing about it now would be pointless since its been done and what's done is done and arguing about it now won't change the past. So, people are flogging a dead horse in that regard.

'Japan nuked' disrespectful or what! The argument whether nuclear weapons should have been used is often a moral one, it could also be said to be a redundant argument but either way it is not flogging a dead horse. I think you misunderstand the expression. There is something that can be learned from the 'Japanese argument', there is never anything to learn from flogging a dead horse, that's the point, the horse being dead no amount of flogging can bring it to get up and gallop off, it's dead, deceased, no more, defunct, departed, perished, it is no more.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could say Im obsessed with achievement, and rank is a type of achievement.

No, it is not. SKILL is an achievement. Rank is something you can buy over the internet.
Try here. You can get all the rank you could possibly want. What you will not get is any skill, or any useful training.

The difference between rank and skill has been pointed out to you many times. That you still don't grasp the difference supports my statement.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it is not. SKILL is an achievement. Rank is something you can buy over the internet.
Try here. You can get all the rank you could possibly want. What you will not get is any skill, or any useful training.

The difference between rank and skill has been pointed out to you many times. That you still don't grasp the difference supports my statement.

Hence the military expression "don't mistake your rank with my authority" :supcool:

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

It would depend on the conditions in which you got the rank. If you got the rank over the internet than no it doesn't require any skill and there is no achievement involved. If you get a rank by completing a hard test or series of tests than it would obviously require skill or ability of some sort. So, whether or not rank does involve skill depends on how you got it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would depend on the conditions in which you got the rank. If you got the rank over the internet than no it doesn't require any skill and there is no achievement involved. If you get a rank by completing a hard test or series of tests than it would obviously require skill or ability of some sort. So, whether or not rank does involve skill depends on how you got it.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets try again, what is it exactly that you disagree with me on?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People on MartialTalk have said that martial arts training is not the same thing as Boy Scouts. Well, they're not exactly the same thing but they do have some stuff in common. And they do have some of the same principals. And, if you're going to say that Martial Arts is nothing like Boy Scouts I would have to say you're wrong and you really can't say that with any credibility if you weren't ever a Boy Scout yourself. I was a Boy Scout so I know.

I was kicked out of 6 troops. One for knowing how to tie knots before the knot class. Another for not walking through the Poison Ivy as the rest of my patroll did. I called it to their attention but the seior ignored me. I was told not to come back as I did not follow orders well. And others for similar situations. What many were trying to teach I already knew. I had parents who took me camping and let me plays with tools as a kid.

As to martial arts, not all martial arts have a creed and or higher calling or bring forth providence or try to project a religious feel. They just teach one who to move and fight and or defend themselves. And those that have adopted it in the second half of the 20th century did so so they could have a me too or for the little kids to give them something to say you broke these rules, now do this or else leave.

So, NO, Martial Arts are not like the boy scouts. Some of the characteristics can be found in some martail arts, yet not all.
NA <> BS
A subset of MA [TKD,..., ] has some attributes within in common with a subset of BS[Principals, ...,]

Apples are not like Orange. Different colors and different taste and texture. Yes both are fruit.
TKD is not like Karate. Yes they both punch, and kick, yet they can have a very different approach or mindset to how they present or share the techniques.

To me What I learned (or did not learn) in the BS, has nothing to do with what I learned in the MA.

MA <> BS

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was kicked out of 6 troops. One for knowing how to tie knots before the knot class. Another for not walking through the Poison Ivy as the rest of my patroll did. I called it to their attention but the seior ignored me. I was told not to come back as I did not follow orders well. And others for similar situations. What many were trying to teach I already knew. I had parents who took me camping and let me plays with tools as a kid.

As to martial arts, not all martial arts have a creed and or higher calling or bring forth providence or try to project a religious feel. They just teach one who to move and fight and or defend themselves. And those that have adopted it in the second half of the 20th century did so so they could have a me too or for the little kids to give them something to say you broke these rules, now do this or else leave.

So, NO, Martial Arts are not like the boy scouts. Some of the characteristics can be found in some martail arts, yet not all.
NA <> BS
A subset of MA [TKD,..., ] has some attributes within in common with a subset of BS[Principals, ...,]

Apples are not like Orange. Different colors and different taste and texture. Yes both are fruit.
TKD is not like Karate. Yes they both punch, and kick, yet they can have a very different approach or mindset to how they present or share the techniques.

To me What I learned (or did not learn) in the BS, has nothing to do with what I learned in the MA.

MA <> BS

Well MA and BS obviously aren't exactly the same thing, they're in fact very different in a lot of ways, but that's not to say that they've got some things in common, they apply some of the same principals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well MA and BS obviously aren't exactly the same thing, they're in fact very different in a lot of ways, but that's not to say that they've got some things in common, they apply some of the same principals.

Well, they're both compound words in English. I guess that's a way they're alike. And they're both activities that people do. That's another.

Yeah -- you're stretching. A lot. Maybe you should run for Congress and start working on the Commerce Clause; it's possibly the only thing more stretched out of resemblance to where it started than your analogy here, or Dolly Parton's sweater.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
They apply some of the same principals. Both emphasize being trustworthy, friendly, courteous, kind, brave, and clean. And in both you shouldn't be afraid to talk to your superior if you don't understand something, you should be able to talk to your sensei in the martial arts and you should be able to talk to your scoutmaster in boyscouts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They apply some of the same principals. Both emphasize being trustworthy, friendly, courteous, kind, brave, and clean. And in both you shouldn't be afraid to talk to your superior if you don't understand something, you should be able to talk to your sensei in the martial arts and you should be able to talk to your scoutmaster in boyscouts.

'Superior' now that's an emotive word. In Scouting it's not one that should be used, as B-P said it's a game, the idea is to engage young people to help them become well round human beings.
I haven't been in any martial art that emphasises being friendly, trustworthy, courteous etc etc. Martial arts is mostly for adults ( yes I know children do them) to teach them to fight/defend themselves not to teach them to be well rounded human people.
I'm not sure why you want to link the two, why it matters.