So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Lord Baden-Powell's last message, to all Scouts, found after he had died, it's one that should be thought about rather than whether Scouting and martial arts are the same, they aren't and life is too short to ponder that question anymore, oh and Shana Tova xx

B-P prepared a farewell message to Scouts, for publication after his death.
The message follows...
"Dear Scouts - If you have ever seen the play "Peter Pan" you will remember how the pirate chief was
always making his dying speech because he was afraid that possibly when the time came for him to die he might not have
time to get it off his chest. It is much the same with me, and so, although I am not at this moment dying, I shall be doing so
one of these days and I want to send you a parting word of good-bye.
Remember, it is the last time you will ever hear from me, so think it over.
I have had a most happy life and I want each one of you to have as happy a life too.
I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely
from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and
strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man.
Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented
with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.
But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you
found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but
have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy- stick to your Scout Promise
always when you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you to do it.
Your friend,
Robert Baden-Powell"

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Lord Baden-Powell's last message, to all Scouts, found after he had died, it's one that should be thought about rather than whether Scouting and martial arts are the same, they aren't and life is too short to ponder that question anymore, oh and Shana Tova xx

B-P prepared a farewell message to Scouts, for publication after his death.
The message follows...
"Dear Scouts - If you have ever seen the play "Peter Pan" you will remember how the pirate chief was
always making his dying speech because he was afraid that possibly when the time came for him to die he might not have
time to get it off his chest. It is much the same with me, and so, although I am not at this moment dying, I shall be doing so
one of these days and I want to send you a parting word of good-bye.
Remember, it is the last time you will ever hear from me, so think it over.
I have had a most happy life and I want each one of you to have as happy a life too.
I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely
from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and
strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man.
Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented
with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.
But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you
found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but
have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy- stick to your Scout Promise
always when you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you to do it.
Your friend,
Robert Baden-Powell"

Indeed. He lived a life worth living and brought joy to those in need. Something that most people, myself included, cannot claim.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are both run along paramilitary lines?

Are you trying to make a case for stripping being a martial art? :)
(Hey is that Tez in the audience?)

magic-mike-army-drag-alex-pettyfer-channing-tatum-images.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that will be me front row! The one on the right looks a bit pensive lol.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you could at the very least say that Black Belt and Eagle Scout are equivalents, where one is for the martial arts the other is for boy scouts.

Not really. Black belt is often only the beginning of real training. The palm awards after Eagle are really little more than participation awards. In that comparison, black belt would be more like the Arrow of Light.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. Black belt is often only the beginning of real training. The palm awards after Eagle are really little more than participation awards. In that comparison, black belt would be more like the Arrow of Light.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well you could say that Eagle Scout is only the beginning in terms of learning about being prepared and developing the various virtues and concepts taught in Scouts. Although this is rare, I've known of Scouts who have earned every merit badge there is in Boy Scouts. To get an Eagle badge you're required to earn 21 merit badges and in Boy Scouts there are over 100 merit badges you can earn and there have been cases of Scouts who have earned all 100 plus merit badges, so for them Eagle was just the beginning.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you could say that Eagle Scout is only the beginning in terms of learning about being prepared and developing the various virtues and concepts taught in Scouts. Although this is rare, I've known of Scouts who have earned every merit badge there is in Boy Scouts. To get an Eagle badge you're required to earn 21 merit badges and in Boy Scouts there are over 100 merit badges you can earn and there have been cases of Scouts who have earned all 100 plus merit badges, so for them Eagle was just the beginning.

You could say a lot of things but if you do it's really flogging a dead horse isn't it? Scouting is Scouting, it's a Game ( B-P said it was before you argue), martial arts aren't.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please get off the dead horse now, I want to eat it before it spoils. Horse sausage is nomnom.

large_90_5853.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well you cold say [a lot of really silly stuff]. It still doesn't make Scouting any more like martial arts training than pole dancing.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could say a lot of things but if you do it's really flogging a dead horse isn't it? Scouting is Scouting, it's a Game ( B-P said it was before you argue), martial arts aren't.

Scouting is a game? I beg to differ.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hadn't read this thread until today. Scouts, strippers and martial arts......now I have to get the image out of my head of beautiful strippers teaching scouts the closed guard.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same reason I keep working with students who are struggling. I keep hoping you'll learn something.
And I'm hardly alone. Have you noticed that the vast majority of the replies assume your posts are not to be taken seriously?
I'm just blunter than most.
After all, this entire thread is just you repeating for the umpteenth time your obsession with rank.

Than perhaps I shouldn't take your responses so personally. The way I see it, it looks like you're trying to cause trouble with many of your responses to my posts but you're pointing out that that's not the case. You're not still bitter about my comments about martial arts programs in YMCAs are you?

As for rank, Im not all that obsessed with it. I personally think, and this is just me, that making it to first degree black belt is a good goal and after that rank doesn't concern me all that much. As for Boy Scouts, I made it to Star and Im fine with that. The reason I didn't continue with Scouts is because of a combination of a family situation and the situation with my troop. Besides, I didn't have a burning desire to be an Eagle Scout. If I did I would've found a way of doing it, I would've joined another troop, ect. But as I said, I was fine with Star.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see a serious problem about strippers with black belts... it covers two inches of the *** :(

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see a serious problem about strippers with black belts... it covers two inches of the *** :(

But doesn't stripping involve taking something off? :idunno: ;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Comes from beating or flogging a dead horse to try to get it to move.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Latest Discussions