So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some are strippers. Here we are inclusive of everyone, straight, gay, male, female, transgender, strippers, clergy, disabled, whatever all are welcome to Scouting and Guiding.

Everyone? pedifiles, murderers, arsonists, spousal abusers.... :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone? pedifiles, murderers, arsonists, spousal abusers.... :)

For adults in the UK working with children we have the DBS scheme, anyone working and/or volunteering with children and vulnerable adults has to have one. Of course it only works if you have a record but until we are issued with crystal balls it will have to do. In Guiding we have to have two referees, of course that again isn't a total surety. We do have procedures though to safeguard the children as much as is humanly possible.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service/about

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said the martial arts and boy scouts are the exact same thing, I was saying they've got some things in common, and that some of the concepts that you apply to one can be applied to the other. And other than that, what does strippers have to do with this?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For adults in the UK working with children we have the DBS scheme, anyone working and/or volunteering with children and vulnerable adults has to have one. Of course it only works if you have a record but until we are issued with crystal balls it will have to do. In Guiding we have to have two referees, of course that again isn't a total surety. We do have procedures though to safeguard the children as much as is humanly possible.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service/about

So,it would be safe to say that not "everyone is welcome"?

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can see the similarity. Martial arts is, in my opinion, little to do with the mechanics of the moves. Its more about the mental focus and discipline required in the endeavour to perfect those moves, and apply them, and most importantly, NOT apply them at all if we can help it. I was never in cubs or scouts but I had a fair few friends that were. They had the same mental focus and discipline and resourcefulness.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see the similarity. Martial arts is, in my opinion, little to do with the mechanics of the moves. Its more about the mental focus and discipline required in the endeavour to perfect those moves, and apply them, and most importantly, NOT apply them at all if we can help it. I was never in cubs or scouts but I had a fair few friends that were. They had the same mental focus and discipline and resourcefulness.

That would depend on the style of martial arts whether or not it stresses the physical aspects such as the moves or the mental focus. For instance, Muai Thai is practically all physical, or at least its mostly physical whereas a style such as Tai Chi places a much bigger emphases on the mental focus that you mention. Boy Scouts can also put good emphasis on physical aspects. Part of being a good scout is being physically strong and some of the merit badges such as sports, swimming, athletics, and physical fitness put a big emphasis on physical attributes and some of the badges I just mentioned are required for Eagle Scout. Overall, though, I would say that both martial arts and boy scouts have both physical and mental aspects in them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said the martial arts and boy scouts are the exact same thing, I was saying they've got some things in common, and that some of the concepts that you apply to one can be applied to the other. And other than that, what does strippers have to do with this?

A good stripper needs to be flexible, physically fit, mentally agile and prepared. Preferably honest as well. Sounds like they have as much to do with martial arts as scouting.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never heard if a stripper having a rank or of any ranking system used in stripping. Boy Scouts on the other hand does have a ranking system and so do many of the styles of martial arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never heard if a stripper having a rank or of any ranking system used in stripping. Boy Scouts on the other hand does have a ranking system and so do many of the styles of martial arts.

But not all. The strippers to scouts comparison is therefore valid.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some are strippers. Here we are inclusive of everyone, straight, gay, male, female, transgender, strippers, clergy, disabled, whatever all are welcome to Scouting and Guiding.

Yeah England and Australia. They have just let the gays in over in America land. And still can't cope with girls.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would depend on the style of martial arts whether or not it stresses the physical aspects such as the moves or the mental focus. For instance, Muai Thai is practically all physical, or at least its mostly physical whereas a style such as Tai Chi places a much bigger emphases on the mental focus that you mention. Boy Scouts can also put good emphasis on physical aspects. Part of being a good scout is being physically strong and some of the merit badges such as sports, swimming, athletics, and physical fitness put a big emphasis on physical attributes and some of the badges I just mentioned are required for Eagle Scout. Overall, though, I would say that both martial arts and boy scouts have both physical and mental aspects in them.

True. This organisation in my experience was only one in the seventies that catered for disabled and kids with mild to extreme learning conditions. My fond memories of it come from being around my peers without the usual prejudice that was rife in those days. The Cubs made me feel wanted and safe, but more than that, it later transpired in adulthood that the Cubs mentally prepared me for the world that I was eventually going to have to walk through. The average human (what I term a normal) really does not understand how hurtful it is to be ostracised from society. I had it myself when trying to befriend kids, only to have their parents putting a stop to it because I was not right in the head.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can compare a good many things to martial arts if you wished, not really sure why you'd want to. Scouting and Guiding are world wide organisations with many of it's members doing things that go far beyond what would be considered usual for a youth organisation, in many countries it is actually a lifeline for those less able or less wealthy. This year in the UK we are celebrating the Big Brownie Birthday, 100 years of Brownies the younger girls aged 7-10, the Guides had their centenary a few years back. during the First World War the War Office had Guides as messengers because they knew they could be trusted. Looking back overall those years there is some tremendous stories of how Guiding not just changed lives but saved them, there's stories of huge heroism in times of war, inspiring stories as well as sad ones. Soon after the Allies landed on the D Day beaches senior Girl Guides were packing up to follow them, they set up refugee camps, children's groups and helped those who had been newly liberated. All over the world Guides and Scouts are doing things that are amazing. Don't dismiss it as just being a kids 'thing' it is for people of all ages, youth is the focus but there's room for everyone. The majority of organisations stay true to B-Ps aims of not being focussed on any one religion but of promoting spirituality and of being welcoming to everyone, it's a huge shame that one of the biggest doesn't but perhaps that will change one day.

this is what I'm, part of http://www.wagggs.org/en/home

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Tez. As with most things that people do not understand, they have to disparage that what they do not want to understand. That is what annoys me!!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Tez. As with most things that people do not understand, they have to disparage that what they do not want to understand. That is what annoys me!!

Who disparaged scouting? I've seen a lot of posts in this thread poking fun at silly comparisons, but none dogging scouting...

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sorry I didn't make my point very well. I'm not suggesting that martial arts is not that physical. The martial arts I've experienced (karate, kung fu and now tang soo do) are very, very physical. In addition to the general strength, fitness and agility training, the actual moves are practiced intensively with a view to perfecting them. But as our teacher says, we aim for perfection, but can never achieve it because there is always room for improvement.

It would be easy to just say "this is too hard" and walk away, or to say of a particular kick which you think is perfectly adequate, "this will do" and stop trying to improve it. In sparring, it would be easy to say you've found a set of techniques that work well for you, so this will do, rather than constantly observing and learning from both your opponent and your self. But of course we don't take those easy options. When dripping with sweat and tempted to ease off or stop, we keep working hard. When that kick is about right, we keep trying to improve it just a bit more. When sparring, when we're not in a real fight and are not really going to get hurt, we still apply that mental focus that zones out everything that is nothing to do with the current situation. Without that mental focus, a martial arts class would be nothing more than an amateur dance session. But of course it doesn't stop there. We don't just use the mental focus we naturally have, we build on that mental focus in order to enable us to achieve more. Sometimes its obvious we're doing so, such as in tai chi, sometimes less obvious but still there. That trained mental power is useful of course in martial arts, but it leaks out into just about every aspect of our day to day lives, benefiting us there too.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who disparaged scouting? I've seen a lot of posts in this thread poking fun at silly comparisons, but none dogging scouting...

What, oh no, was not directed towards any peeps on here. I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes and forget where I am.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every martial art does have a ranking system of some sort. Even those styles that don't use different colored belts or patches on the uniform or any other type of official rank, there is the instructor/student hierarchy and that is your ranking system right there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every martial art does have a ranking system of some sort. Even those styles that don't use different colored belts or patches on the uniform or any other type of official rank, there is the instructor/student hierarchy and that is your ranking system right there.

A "ranking" system that is every bit as valid among strippers. Just watch Burlesque for proof. The stripper/scout comparison remains valid. Pointless, but valid. Like so many things.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We don't have a 'rank' system in Guiding, we have certain 'titles' such as district commissioner which means they do specific tasks but they aren't jobs we aren't paid, it is a girl led organisation, the girls decide what they do, what badges, what activities and what we campaign for, we don't have a hierarchy, we are all sisters in Guiding.

Latest Discussions