Shame on you.... for misrepresenting yourself.... and your ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we could also turn the problem around,
there are 100% legit high ranking instructors who may be the head of complete organizations, but if they are arrogant and narcissistic and this person was your first teacher....you leave discouraged never to return to martial arts because "HE was supposed to be the best" and you let that bias ruin all the potential of what you could have been.
Then this will be where the discourage person will have to accept reality.. Not everyone is arrogant, you just happened to find one what is. Now keep looking and find something better.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • If you teach what you know then you are an instructor. I can call myself an instructor of Jow Ga Kung fu. I don't need paper work for that. Teaching what I know makes me an instructor. What I can't do is call myself a Sifu of Jow Ga because that is a different process. I could develop my own fighting system and I can call myself Sifu all I want.

It depends on where you want to teach.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on where you want to teach.
Not really. If you can't teach in one organization go to another. If you can't teach in that one then start your own. This is the definition I use for Instructor "a person who teaches something." It's a very low bar.as it doesn't factor in quality or expertise. If you teach something then you are an instructor by definition.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. If you can't teach in one organization go to another. If you can't teach in that one then start your own. This is the definition I use for Instructor "a person who teaches something." It's a very low bar.as it doesn't factor in quality or expertise. If you teach something then you are an instructor by definition.

That is actually the dictionary definition of a teacher. Which is, in part, why I maintain that pretty much anybody can teach. Some are absolutely going to be better at teaching than others, but few, if any, cannot teach.

Even if all you do is serve as a bad example, you're still teaching.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you think about someone who claims to be a teacher and is not... Is delusional about their ability. Goes somewhere(other school).... and gets their butt handed to them in a sparring situation by some students who has only trained a year. YET..... they still claim they are an instructor.... and wishes to create false papers saying they are... and poses they are??
Sounds to me like you have a specific person in mind.

Go buy a hatchet with cash (don’t leave an electronic trail by using a credit card) three states away (makes it harder for the forensics team to track the weapon) and kill him with it. Make sure you set up a Dexter-style kill room. Dispose of the weapon about 50 miles off the coast in the deep ocean. Leave the body where it will be found and will send a message to all others like him. Burn all the clothing you were wearing when you administered your justice. Scrub everything with bleach.

Then get over it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm not talking about the art, but the venue. For example, if a college wants to offer a martial arts class. The college has nothing to do with your art, but are giving you a space and a salary in order for you to teach the art. Or if you want to teach classes at the Y.

If I were to go to one of these places and they asked for my credentials, I could show them my 3rd Dan certificate from Kukkiwon. They wouldn't necessarily know what it is, but I would be certified and that would be enough for their credentials check.

But if I were to go in and do a boxing class, how do I verify to them that I know enough to teach boxing?

If the college is hiring a physics professor, the dean might not be a physicist. So they look at the credentials of the applicant. If they have a degree in Physics, they are trusting the college that gave them the degree that they are a legit physicist.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a specific person in mind.

Go buy a hatchet with cash (don’t leave an electronic trail by using a credit card) three states away (makes it harder for the forensics team to track the weapon) and kill him with it. Make sure you set up a Dexter-style kill room. Dispose of the weapon about 50 miles off the coast in the deep ocean. Leave the body where it will be found and will send a message to all others like him. Burn all the clothing you were wearing when you administered your justice. Scrub everything with bleach.

Then get over it.

I would not follow this advice. That's just me, though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the art, but the venue. For example, if a college wants to offer a martial arts class. The college has nothing to do with your art, but are giving you a space and a salary in order for you to teach the art. Or if you want to teach classes at the Y.

If I were to go to one of these places and they asked for my credentials, I could show them my 3rd Dan certificate from Kukkiwon. They wouldn't necessarily know what it is, but I would be certified and that would be enough for their credentials check.

But if I were to go in and do a boxing class, how do I verify to them that I know enough to teach boxing?

If the college is hiring a physics professor, the dean might not be a physicist. So they look at the credentials of the applicant. If they have a degree in Physics, they are trusting the college that gave them the degree that they are a legit physicist.
They’re looking for proof. In the boxing instructor scenario, there’s a few ways. If you’ve owned a gym, you can prove that. If you worked at a gym, you can ask the boss for a written and/or verbal reference. If you’re teaching people out of your basement, you can list your students as references.

How do I prove I teach at a private school? I’ve got no certificate saying I teach there. But there’s the school’s website that I’m on, and my boss can write a letter of reference/recommendation. And they can verify my boss wrote it by calling him at his office. Yes I’m certified in NYS as a teacher, but that doesn’t prove any actual experience beyond requirements for certification.

Same as every other job. Teaching MA doesn’t exactly exist in a vacuum.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skribs...
I don't care too.
I didn't relate it back to that post because I have noticed it in many regards. Several individuals in my area that are misrepresenting themselves to the public. It's a problem in Martial Arts. Esp. in my area. The public goes in believing the "instructor" of the school. They have no basis to judge. They most of the time lack any training themselves... So how can they judge. So this is really a GENERAL problem happening. People saying they are what they are not. And I do not wish to single anyone out. Hence I posted it general as not to reflect on any one individual. In General I have seen people purchase certificates, falsely say they are something that they are not. And it goes unchecked. And there is not any governing body to hold anyone accountable. It's a shame... I let it go locally. There is nothing that I could or want to do about it.

I bring it up here... because I thought it would hold for an interesting conversation where Martial Arts is headed. Many people depend on it's reputation to make a living. Thankfully I do not.
In all seriousness, it comes across as being pretty passive-aggressive.

Charlatans abound.
People of low skill abound.
Self-delusional narcissists abound. I hear you can even be The President if you are one.

The world is full of low quality folks. Ain’t much to be done about it in most cases.

In the context of martial arts, I can’t get too worked up over it. I make my own decisions about who I do and do not train with or associate with. If asked by a friend, I will be honest in my assessment and help guide them in their choices. Beyond that, meh. Caveate emptor.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They’re looking for proof. In the boxing instructor scenario, there’s a few ways. If you’ve owned a gym, you can prove that. If you worked at a gym, you can ask the boss for a written and/or verbal reference. If you’re teaching people out of your basement, you can list your students as references.

How do I prove I teach at a private school? I’ve got no certificate saying I teach there. But there’s the school’s website that I’m on, and my boss can write a letter of reference/recommendation. And they can verify my boss wrote it by calling him at his office. Yes I’m certified in NYS as a teacher, but that doesn’t prove any actual experience beyond requirements for certification.

We're rehashing the discussion from the other thread.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kind? Rhubarb is my favorite. Not that mashed-up blend of rhubarb and strawberry. That is an inferior product. A straight-up rhubarb pie is da bomb.
RIGHT?

Only time I see those is when the wife bakes them. All the store bought stuff is strawberry rhubarb or apple rhubarb. Leave my damn rhubarb alone! It doesn't need a chaperone!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You develop self discipline, self confidence, hopefully a better moral code in life in general. You learn respect and honor. You treat others with kindness. You evolve and usually become a better person.
So far I have not seen any proof that MA training can help someone to achieve that.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me personally I wouldn't try to teach at a college unless they could ask around about me in the same manner as job references.
I like banana cream pie and lemon meringue myself. Apple is fine too.
all this talk about pie

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the physical location. Some places require proof of some sort. I've been asked in one place, and know others who've had to supply credentials elsewhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That all works fine unless the gym closed (and you can't find the guy who owned it), or the owner has decided he hates you now and gleefully says no to the request for references. That's the handy thing about a rank certificate - it's already there, so there's no need to track someone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.