Rolled ankle injury ;)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Runnibg it off is a soccer term for carrying on with a seamingly painful game ending injury that magically stops hurting when you distract yourself by chasing a ball about, as a concept it doesnt require you to actually run,though its not the worse idea.

Pain is a nebulas concept, if there was seriiys i jury then walking would result you screaming and falling to the flood, anything less than that is dependent on your persnal tollerance to pain, one mans pain is anothers mild discomfort, crry on with pain, increases yoyr tolerance and the pain magically deminishes. Till you dont notice it at all. or pain and the actual level of injury are only vaguely connected to each other, or its all in the mind

Other wise wht are you going to do, ? Youve avoided discomfort for five weeks ( in can recover from a broken leg in that time)and its no better, how many Weeks, months, years are you going to devote to this before you decieded to " run it off "?

Ah deepest apologies, have never heard the term running it off haha, thought you meant literally running hard on it would help it XD.

Yeah no that is actually what I've been doing. I've still been carrying mostly normal except just making sure I don't do anything silly to over-flex/extend. Not squatting/kneeling into positions that cause severe pain etc. But otherwise all else has continued.

I agree if it was really serious I wouldn't be able to walk on it, but doesn't mean I should be careless about it either ;). Am quite adept at tolerating pain, but also wanna be smart about it. True regarding the mental aspect of it though!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's an overly simplistic understanding of what injury is. I managed just fine for weeks with a muscle torn 25% through in my forearm. But certain things - relatively small things - caused significant pain. I found out later that significant pain was me re-tearing any healing it had done. So, it wasn't healing. It wasn't getting better. What fixed it? Finding out (from a professional) what was actually wrong, how to avoid re-injury so it could heal, and finding the right exercises to help heal it (not just randomly continuing with what I normally did).

Your advice can work by accident, but it can also lead to worsening an injury.

Yep that's exactly what I want to avoid, tearing anything more. Well said.

(And youch!)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have not read all the responses so I apologize of this has already been said.

I have broken my ankle 3 times and sprained it within the last month. My issue with sprains is that I have broken my ankle so many times I no longer feel pain when I twist it. Last time I felt a slight bit of pain, which surprised me, but I kept on walking with out much pain for a fe days. That is until it swelled up to twice normal size

1) see a doctor and get an x-ray. I walked around on a broken ankle for a bit and it was not getting better. Reason, it was fractured.

2) Ankle braces are your friend

3) if it is sprained look to a splint

air_gel_ankle_brace.jpg

Thanks Xue, very helpful.

And yeah that's the worst when you don't even realise it's getting worse but you don't feel pain yet!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that's exactly what I want to avoid, tearing anything more. Well said.

(And youch!)
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. I'd have said something else, but I was in a class when I made the final tear, so I stuck to "Ow." Body language can cuss, though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah deepest apologies, have never heard the term running it off haha, thought you meant literally running hard on it would help it XD.

Yeah no that is actually what I've been doing. I've still been carrying mostly normal except just making sure I don't do anything silly to over-flex/extend. Not squatting/kneeling into positions that cause severe pain etc. But otherwise all else has continued.

I agree if it was really serious I wouldn't be able to walk on it, but doesn't mean I should be careless about it either ;). Am quite adept at tolerating pain, but also wanna be smart about it. True regarding the mental aspect of it though!
Well youve left with three options

Carry on as you are, and hope it gets better eventually
Look to progressively extend the range of motion by doing exercises that hurt,
Seek medical advice and be given some exercises that look to progressively extend the range of motion by doingexercises that hurt,

Your choice

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well youve left with three options

Carry on as you are, and hope it gets better eventually
Look to progressively extend the range of motion by doing exercises that hurt,
Seek medical advice and be given some exercises that look to progressively extend the range of motion by doingexercises that hurt,

Your choice
Yeah have been slowly incorporating ROM/mobility work, so will incrementally progress that without further tearing anything hopefully, and see what other exercises I can do. Cheers dude ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah have been slowly incorporating ROM/mobility work, so will incrementally progress that without further tearing anything hopefully, and see what other exercises I can do. Cheers dude ;)
Try to reduce the movement aka stop trying to use your ankle. You have been using it all this time and after 5 weeks it still hurrts. take 4 days of limited use, no training and you should notice a big difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@_Simon_, in case you missed it, @Dirty Dog is a medical professional. Of all the advice in here thus far, I'd listen most closely to his, followed closely by @JR 137, who is an experienced athletic trainer and has dealt with a lot of sports injuries.

The rest of us are working from experience and research, probably, but not as much of either as those two.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try to reduce the movement aka stop trying to use your ankle. You have been using it all this time and after 5 weeks it still hurrts. take 4 days of limited use, no training and you should notice a big difference.

Yeah I've taken the last couple of days of just only doing walking and that's it. Even so still limiting that. Had the karate seminar on Saturday (which I semi-regret), so am up to day 3 of resting it. It is getting better just incredibly slowly.. Thanks mate.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_, in case you missed it, @Dirty Dog is a medical professional. Of all the advice in here thus far, I'd listen most closely to his, followed closely by @JR 137, who is an experienced athletic trainer and has dealt with a lot of sports injuries.

The rest of us are working from experience and research, probably, but not as much of either as those two.
Thanks Gerry, definitely. Will get it looked at soon if it hasn't healed. I can tell it's slightly improved but will need to tread carefully...

Thanks all for the advice it's much appreciated

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I've just gone back to look at the vid of the fight in which it happened, managed to find the exact frame where it happened haha, ouch.. right foot flexed and turned in, must have got caught on the mat...
0e0c746e3d6ea5c552bbba499c8e3ee4.jpg
89ccc7a8db42b5425f6541a4d188f790.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And I've just gone back to look at the vid of the fight in which it happened, managed to find the exact frame where it happened haha, ouch.. right foot flexed and turned in, must have got caught on the mat...
0e0c746e3d6ea5c552bbba499c8e3ee4.jpg
89ccc7a8db42b5425f6541a4d188f790.jpg

That looks bad to me. I guess it rolled more than you originally thought. Your structure is looks completely destroyed. Off topic your opponent is in excellent position to stomp down on your leg.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That looks bad to me. I guess it rolled more than you originally thought. Your structure is looks completely destroyed. Off topic your opponent is in excellent position to stomp down on your leg.
Yeah he came in suddenly and I have no idea what happened, but I moved back and must have gotten caught. I think he actually stomped down onto my hip haha.

Posted the vid here anyway, we might all learn something about "how sports injuries occur" haha. The exact moment it happens is at 0:36s

Edit: I actually just watched it back in 0.25x speed (forgot you could do that on YouTube)... yeah ouch, looks like it just got caught or something as I moved back..

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like your foot was not fully planted after your kick so when you pushed off to retreat your foot, being sideways, could not bear the weight of your body or you rolled your ankle as you said.

Two things you can do to avoid this in the future:

- retract your foot faster and plant it back on the floor.
- don’t float/balance on your back leg for too long.

We gauge the speed of our kicks from the time it takes your foot to leave the floor to the time it takes to return.

I realize that you are point fighting and thus some strategies require you to do just that, float on the back leg but the risk you run is exactly what happened. The body is going forward while the weakest part of your foot (being sideways) is pushing backwards. When your weight is 50/50 and you have a stance wider than your shoulders then generally no problem. It’s only when you try and change directions will this be a potential problem.

PS: what was the final score of the bout ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah he came in suddenly and I have no idea what happened, but I moved back and must have gotten caught. I think he actually stomped down onto my hip haha.

Posted the vid here anyway, we might all learn something about "how sports injuries occur" haha. The exact moment it happens is at 0:36s

Edit: I actually just watched it back in 0.25x speed (forgot you could do that on YouTube)... yeah ouch, looks like it just got caught or something as I moved back..
looks like you tried to move before you had your root set. Like trying to push off on a foot that hasn't quite touch the ground securely. When you pushed you didn't have a sure root to push against.

I'm going to assume that there are rules about grabbing kicks by the way your opponent was just letting those kicks hangout there.

Looks like your foot was not fully planted after your kick so when you pushed off to retreat your foot, being sideways, could not bear the weight of your body or you rolled your ankle as you said.
That's how I saw it too. He would have been fine if the push off on that foot was delayed a split second.

don’t float/balance on your back leg for too long.
Bad habit from point sparring. My opinion is that point sparring should be treated as if the point sparring rules don't exist for your opponent, so leaving a kick just hanging around would naturally put that leg at risk for being captured. It delays the retreat, It delays the reset, It invites the sweep. If the rules allowed the grabbing of a kick then a lot would change.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Two things you can do to avoid this in the future:

- retract your foot faster and plant it back on the floor.
- don’t float/balance on your back leg for too long.

We gauge the speed of our kicks from the time it takes your foot to leave the floor to the time it takes to return.

I realize that you are point fighting and thus some strategies require you to do just that, float on the back leg but the risk you run is exactly what happened. The body is going forward while the weakest part of your foot (being sideways) is pushing backwards. When your weight is 50/50 and you have a stance wider than your shoulders then generally no problem. It’s only when you try and change directions will this be a potential problem.

PS: what was the final score of the bout ?

That's really helpful, thanks heaps mate. Yeah I'm actually not very used to point sparring (coming from Kyokushin sparring for 8 years), so it's a different style of moving and footwork, but yeah I totally get what you mean. And the fact he was moving in towards me meant I had to react quickly and probably didn't get a chance to get into a proper stance before retreating, hence the roll hey!

I'll have to work on drilling that when I train for my next one, appreciate the insights :)

The final score was 4-2 my way. Ended up winning my next bout too and the state title which I was stoked about... I must have forgotten about my ankle for the rest of the day haha (adrenaline helped).

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
looks like you tried to move before you had your root set. Like trying to push off on a foot that hasn't quite touch the ground securely. When you pushed you didn't have a sure root to push against.

I'm going to assume that there are rules about grabbing kicks by the way your opponent was just letting those kicks hangout there.

That's how I saw it too. He would have been fine if the push off on that foot was delayed a split second.

Bad habit from point sparring. My opinion is that point sparring should be treated as if the point sparring rules don't exist for your opponent, so leaving a kick just hanging around would naturally put that leg at risk for being captured. It delays the retreat, It delays the reset, It invites the sweep. If the rules allowed the grabbing of a kick then a lot would change.

Great advice, thanks so much for that.

Yeah AFAIK you can't grab the legs, but you I think you may be able to hook them briefly or grab to push them out, as long as it's not a long time you're grabbing. I'll have to revisit the rules... but yeah my opponent certainly thrusted his kicks out and left them hanging a bit hehe. Tended to be his default strategy, either out of not wanting me to get in close and keep me at distance or just out of not knowing what else to do. Trust me I wanted to grab the legs and throw haha.

Have watched it back a few times, so you mean that just in general I was too airborne/not rooted when I tried to retreat, thus not being properly planted before moving? Yeah I could see that..

I may work on being more rooted... my movement/footwork and quickness tend to be my strength hence why I move alot (obviously I now know the downside to that), but maybe I should work on being more grounded so my body can work both ways and know what it feels like to be more rooted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final score was 4-2 my way. Ended up winning my next bout too and the state title which I was stoked about... I must have forgotten about my ankle for the rest of the day haha (adrenaline helped).
Well, congratulations. Sounds like you did well, even in a format you're not very familiar with.

Latest Discussions