Rolled ankle injury ;)

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by _Simon_, Sep 25, 2018.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Ah deepest apologies, have never heard the term running it off haha, thought you meant literally running hard on it would help it XD.

Yeah no that is actually what I've been doing. I've still been carrying mostly normal except just making sure I don't do anything silly to over-flex/extend. Not squatting/kneeling into positions that cause severe pain etc. But otherwise all else has continued.

I agree if it was really serious I wouldn't be able to walk on it, but doesn't mean I should be careless about it either ;). Am quite adept at tolerating pain, but also wanna be smart about it. True regarding the mental aspect of it though!

2. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yep that's exactly what I want to avoid, tearing anything more. Well said.

(And youch!)

3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Thanks Xue, very helpful.

And yeah that's the worst when you don't even realise it's getting worse but you don't feel pain yet!

4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. I'd have said something else, but I was in a class when I made the final tear, so I stuck to "Ow." Body language can cuss, though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Well youve left with three options

Carry on as you are, and hope it gets better eventually
    Look to progressively extend the range of motion by doing exercises that hurt,
    Seek medical advice and be given some exercises that look to progressively extend the range of motion by doingexercises that hurt,

Your choice

6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Not true at all. I see people walking around on fractures all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yeah have been slowly incorporating ROM/mobility work, so will incrementally progress that without further tearing anything hopefully, and see what other exercises I can do. Cheers dude ;)

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yeah good point, as Gerry had found!

9. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Try to reduce the movement aka stop trying to use your ankle. You have been using it all this time and after 5 weeks it still hurrts. take 4 days of limited use, no training and you should notice a big difference.

10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    @_Simon_, in case you missed it, @Dirty Dog is a medical professional. Of all the advice in here thus far, I'd listen most closely to his, followed closely by @JR 137, who is an experienced athletic trainer and has dealt with a lot of sports injuries.

The rest of us are working from experience and research, probably, but not as much of either as those two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yeah I've taken the last couple of days of just only doing walking and that's it. Even so still limiting that. Had the karate seminar on Saturday (which I semi-regret), so am up to day 3 of resting it. It is getting better just incredibly slowly.. Thanks mate.

12. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Thanks Gerry, definitely. Will get it looked at soon if it hasn't healed. I can tell it's slightly improved but will need to tread carefully...

Thanks all for the advice it's much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  13. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

And I've just gone back to look at the vid of the fight in which it happened, managed to find the exact frame where it happened haha, ouch.. right foot flexed and turned in, must have got caught on the mat...[​IMG][​IMG]

14. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

That looks bad to me. I guess it rolled more than you originally thought. Your structure is looks completely destroyed. Off topic your opponent is in excellent position to stomp down on your leg.

15. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yeah he came in suddenly and I have no idea what happened, but I moved back and must have gotten caught. I think he actually stomped down onto my hip haha.

Posted the vid here anyway, we might all learn something about "how sports injuries occur" haha. The exact moment it happens is at 0:36s

Edit: I actually just watched it back in 0.25x speed (forgot you could do that on YouTube)... yeah ouch, looks like it just got caught or something as I moved back..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  16. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

Looks like your foot was not fully planted after your kick so when you pushed off to retreat your foot, being sideways, could not bear the weight of your body or you rolled your ankle as you said.

Two things you can do to avoid this in the future:

- retract your foot faster and plant it back on the floor.
    - don’t float/balance on your back leg for too long.

We gauge the speed of our kicks from the time it takes your foot to leave the floor to the time it takes to return.

I realize that you are point fighting and thus some strategies require you to do just that, float on the back leg but the risk you run is exactly what happened. The body is going forward while the weakest part of your foot (being sideways) is pushing backwards. When your weight is 50/50 and you have a stance wider than your shoulders then generally no problem. It’s only when you try and change directions will this be a potential problem.

PS: what was the final score of the bout ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

looks like you tried to move before you had your root set. Like trying to push off on a foot that hasn't quite touch the ground securely. When you pushed you didn't have a sure root to push against.

I'm going to assume that there are rules about grabbing kicks by the way your opponent was just letting those kicks hangout there.

That's how I saw it too. He would have been fine if the push off on that foot was delayed a split second.

Bad habit from point sparring. My opinion is that point sparring should be treated as if the point sparring rules don't exist for your opponent, so leaving a kick just hanging around would naturally put that leg at risk for being captured. It delays the retreat, It delays the reset, It invites the sweep. If the rules allowed the grabbing of a kick then a lot would change.

• Like Like x 2
  18. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

That's really helpful, thanks heaps mate. Yeah I'm actually not very used to point sparring (coming from Kyokushin sparring for 8 years), so it's a different style of moving and footwork, but yeah I totally get what you mean. And the fact he was moving in towards me meant I had to react quickly and probably didn't get a chance to get into a proper stance before retreating, hence the roll hey!

I'll have to work on drilling that when I train for my next one, appreciate the insights :)

The final score was 4-2 my way. Ended up winning my next bout too and the state title which I was stoked about... I must have forgotten about my ankle for the rest of the day haha (adrenaline helped).

• Like Like x 1
  19. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Great advice, thanks so much for that.

Yeah AFAIK you can't grab the legs, but you I think you may be able to hook them briefly or grab to push them out, as long as it's not a long time you're grabbing. I'll have to revisit the rules... but yeah my opponent certainly thrusted his kicks out and left them hanging a bit hehe. Tended to be his default strategy, either out of not wanting me to get in close and keep me at distance or just out of not knowing what else to do. Trust me I wanted to grab the legs and throw haha.

Have watched it back a few times, so you mean that just in general I was too airborne/not rooted when I tried to retreat, thus not being properly planted before moving? Yeah I could see that..

I may work on being more rooted... my movement/footwork and quickness tend to be my strength hence why I move alot (obviously I now know the downside to that), but maybe I should work on being more grounded so my body can work both ways and know what it feels like to be more rooted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Well, congratulations. Sounds like you did well, even in a format you're not very familiar with.

• Like Like x 1