Rolled ankle injury ;)

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by _Simon_, Sep 25, 2018.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ 2nd Black Belt

Hey guys, I rolled my ankle in a tournament recently (a week and a half ago), I can walk on it fine with no pain at all, but it still hurts quite bad at certain angles (if I turn my toes/foot inwards and do plantar flexion, it HURTS!).

Anyone have any tips from experience to assist recovery? I don't think it's serious, but potentially strained tendons. I figured just avoid putting it through the range of motion where there's pain, and doing things to increase blood flow to area? Bodyweight calf raises?

Have also learned that stretching is not necessarily very beneficial for strains/sprains (just pulls at the damaged fibers/tendons more)

Cheers :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Range of motion work. Stay pain-free, but out of your comfort zone if that makes sense. In other words, work through tightness, stiffness and soreness. If it’s painful, such as a stabbing or tearing feeling, back off and stay in a comfortable range.

Balance work is the key to preventing reinjury, according to several studies. Try standing on one foot for as long as you can. If you’re clocking in at several minutes, change it up. Stuff like standing on pillows, couch cushions, etc.

Stand on one foot and throw a ball against a wall. One handed, two handed, etc. Closer to the wall works better, like a few feet.

My favorite exercise to do was using elastic tubing/theraband. Put the band around the uninsured ankle. Weight on your injured foot, and step forward with the noninjured foot while keeping the injured foot planted. I’d typically have people start in a staggered stance; toes of the uninjured near the heel of the opposite foot, and step forward to the opposite of that. Feet are fairly close. Turn around and repeat, so you’re stepping backwards. Turn sideways and step outside. Turn the other way and step inside.

My other favorite- single leg squats of sorts. Stand sideways on stairs, holding the railing. The injured foot on the step. Opposite foot toes pointed up and heel down. Keeping your back straight, bend your knee and go down until your opposite heel touches the next step down.

As far as heat and cold go, I like contrast bath. Freeze a bunch of small paper cups filled with water. Fill a bucket with very warm water. Stick your foot into the warm water for 3 minutes. Take your foot out of the bucket. Take the ice cup, peel away a layer at the top, and rub the area with the exposed ice for a minute. Repeat for 15 minutes - 3 minutes warm, 1 minute cold, 3 minutes warm, 1 minute cold. Done right, you start and end with warm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. _Simon_

_Simon_ 2nd Black Belt

Awesome, some great ideas, thanks mate. Yeah I believe in a more proactive approach in these sorts of cases, getting bloodflow in the area and safe pain free range of motion (years ago I was the opposite and wouldn't move the injured part at all!). Cheers :)