Rolled ankle injury ;)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Had first physio session today (had to be moved from yesterday), it went so, so well :). Have an incredibly knowledgable physio, he basically told me to throw my crutches away haha! He said that absolutely my fracture would have healed, and that for sure he would have had me doing physio ages ago. He also said about docs not always knowing much about the muscular side of things so often just seeing something and putting them in a cast.

He tested out my ligament/tendon strength and he was really happy with them. My ROM is lacking obviously. So just need to work on getting more range of motion, strength and stability. He's really excited to work with me and he's gonna tailor our work together in a martial-arts based way to get me back to training, so even throwing kicks etc. I am so darn looking forward to it...

And I can walk again :). Such a weird feeling...

Have got some exercises to do every day (include a balance/proprioception one) and seeing him next week. So happy and incredibly relieved...
Good to see you are on the mend. Having more than one independent opinion will more than likely give you confidence in the best course of action to proceed, which you are doing. As you are fairly young and are not competing to put food on the table, a few months of rehab will make you right as rain and your training will not suffer tremendously for it. Onward and upward, Simon !

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it. Will be hard work this rehab process, but I'm already stoked that I can walk almost normally. Bit painful today, but can only get better with more use.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rehab is going really really well, and in fact at Tuesday's session he said there's no need for any more physio sessions :). He's really happy with my progress, my strength and mobility is improving in leaps and bounds, and to basically just go back if there are major issues or crazy stiffness to work out.

Any slight pains and stiffness will work itself mostly, but I'm walking normally, and pain has subsided alot.

I really enjoyed the sessions, the fact that he was a karate-ka was awesome, as he tailored my sessions basically towards the goal of getting back into the dojo. Lots of balance exercises, moving in forward stance (zenkutsu dachi), ladder-like agility drills on balls of feet, lateral work, and even sparring footwork drills. Will be certain to go back to him for any other injuries.

Quite a journey. Now to get back into the dojo, wherever that may be :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear progress is good. Sounds like maybe the rest did help, after all, so maybe just too much of what it needed so you could get to rehabbing it properly.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear progress is good. Sounds like maybe the rest did help, after all, so maybe just too much of what it needed so you could get to rehabbing it properly.
Yeah for sure, rest was needed I'm sure, but I ran it for longer than necessary unfortunately going by the early diagnosis etc. Onward on upward :)

Latest Discussions