Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, as an instructor, who has the knowledge, you should swallow your pride. It is obvious that he is intetested but he keeps running into instructors who think what they teach is dacred knowledge. I run into that all the time and have ran into it all across the u.s.

He is looking for real arts...not sport. He doesnt want a competitive instructor. He wants a real one. Hence all of his questions.

I actually think its refreshing, to see someone be so picky instead of just going with the crowd and training in untested systems.

If it doesnt work in combat...to some people its useless and a waste of time and effort to even train.
He seems to be one of those people.

Researching and asking questions about every art, is the right thing to do.

A large percentage of instructors have never even been in a real altercation. Yet, they pretend that they have knowledge simply because they have trained for years.

Its just not the reality of actual experience. I dont care if you are an infinity dan ranking or grand pooba of whatever system. A controlled environment such as competition, is not helpful in actual self defense situations.

Now, this is from my personal experience and is my personal observation.

As soon as I hear a blackbelt or instructor say they have never been in an actual fight. I know training with them is useless, for me.

I know some people train for different reasons...and I believe you should train what your heart desires, even if it is competitive, but make sure you know what your instructors actual experience is, before training with them.

To choose the martial way of life is a huge step and any real instructor, would answer this guys instruction...with a smile on their face.
If he wants to find out fine but he's not even turning up to ask questions and he's acting like a know it all based on videos. Honestly saying you wouldn't train with someone who's never been in a fight is limiting you. Chuck norris has said multiple times he's never been in a fight does that make him a bad instructor or not know anything? What about people like cus d'amato or Angalo Dundee all expert coaches but not amazing fighters

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, as an instructor, who has the knowledge, you should swallow your pride. It is obvious that he is intetested but he keeps running into instructors who think what they teach is dacred knowledge. I run into that all the time and have ran into it all across the u.s.

He is looking for real arts...not sport. He doesnt want a competitive instructor. He wants a real one. Hence all of his questions.

I actually think its refreshing, to see someone be so picky instead of just going with the crowd and training in untested systems.

If it doesnt work in combat...to some people its useless and a waste of time and effort to even train.

A large percentage of instructors have never even been in a real altercation. Yet, they pretend that they have knowledge simply because they have trained for years.

Its just not the reality of actual experience. I dont care if you are an infinity dan ranking or grand pooba of whatever system. A controlled environment such as competition, is not helpful in actual self defense situations.

As soon as I hear a blackbelt or instructor say they have never been in an actual fight. I know training with them is useless, for me.

I know some people train for different reasons...and I believe you should train what your heart desires, even if it is competitive, but make sure you know what your instructors actual experience is, before training with them.

To choose the martial way of life is a huge step and any real instructor, would answer this guys instruction...with a smile on their face.
I think you're overlooking his excuses along the way. I hope you're right about him, though. I'd rather him get in and get training.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At least not until an instructor gets off of his high horse and answer his questions.

Then please feel free to get off your high horse and answer his questions.

Then I guess it's obvious that the many actual instructors on this forum that have told him to just shut up and go train are not real instructors in your world view. I would feel diminished by your judgment except for the fact that I really don't care what you think about a real instructor should be. :)

D

Deleted member 34973

If he wants to find out fine but he's not even turning up to ask questions and he's acting like a know it all based on videos. Honestly saying you wouldn't train with someone who's never been in a fight is limiting you. Chuck norris has said multiple times he's never been in a fight does that make him a bad instructor or not know anything? What about people like cus d'amato or Angalo Dundee all expert coaches but not amazing fighters
Sport coachs are great for teaching sport, not for actual combat. There is a major difference between the two. Real world experience will show any sport only coach that.

D

Deleted member 34973

Then please feel free to get off your high horse and answer his questions.

Then I guess it's obvious that the many actual instructors on this forum that have told him to just shut up and go train are not real instructors in your world view. I would feel diminished by your judgment except for the fact that I really don't care what you think about a real instructor should be. :)
Well thats the problem with fakes, they want to train you to be them and bow to their authority and beliefs. IMO, that is not what it is about, its about teaching them to be the best individual they can be and to seek answers to questions they have. If as an instructor, you can't or do not have the patience for people like him, you are a danger.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well thats the problem with fakes, they want to train you to be them and bow to their authority and beliefs. IMO, that is not what it is about, its about teaching them to be the best individual they can be and to seek answers to questions they have. If as an instructor, you can't or do not have the patience for people like him, you are a danger.

Yep, I've been a danger probably longer than you've been alive. I'll continue to be a danger for at least a couple more decades I think. I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, except that I'm not. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Danger" is a pretty strong word to apply to someone deciding a student isn't in a teachable state of mind.

D

Deleted member 34973

Yep, I've been a danger probably longer than you've been alive. I'll continue to be a danger for at least a couple more decades I think. I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, except that I'm not. :)
You should be more concerned about your students well being.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you defined the "danger" as not being willing to work with a student like that, I don't see how his choice has a negative impact on his students. In my view, he's protecting them from folks who don't have a teachable attitude, and who might decide to try to prove the instructor wrong on a junior student.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ha! I don't even worry much about my own son's well being any more, much less some kid that can't be bothered to drag his sorry butt to a dojo.

Here's a short but interesting article written by an acquaintance of mine that pretty much describes the outlook of the Japanese koryu arts that I practice. It's pretty dangerous according to your viewpoint. :)

So you want to join the ryu?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You're missing a key piece of information (hopefully)... He's been told countless times to visit as many schools as possible in his locale. He's been told countless times that the instructor and potential classmates will make or break his training. He's been told everything else along these lines ad nauseum.

Yet he hasn't visited a single school in person. He watches videos and criticizes everything he sees and says he wouldn't train in that. He criticizes payment policies. He criticizes ad nauseum.

That's why people have responded to him the way we have. No one jumped on him immediately. Look at how many threads he's started and the absurd posts he's made.

Maybe you've followed his posts, maybe you haven't. Doesn't matter to me, and I'm assuming not to the overwhelming majority of people here either.

Take him under your wing. Guide him along his journey. But remember, a journey of a million miles begins with a single step. He has yet to get off the couch, let alone stand up to actually take that first step.

Hopefully you can help him find his way. Don't hold your breath though.

D

Deleted member 34973

"Danger" is a pretty strong word to apply to someone deciding a student isn't in a teachable state of mind.
As an instructor, I believ
Since you defined the "danger" as not being willing to work with a student like that, I don't see how his choice has a negative impact on his students. In my view, he's protecting them from folks who don't have a teachable attitude, and who might decide to try to prove the instructor wrong on a junior student.
be
Everyone is tteachable it is, and always is the teachers fault.

D

Deleted member 34973

Ha! I don't even worry much about my own son's well being any more, much less some kid that can't be bothered to drag his sorry butt to a dojo.

Here's a short but interesting article written by an acquaintance of mine that pretty much describes the outlook of the Japanese koryu arts that I practice. It's pretty dangerous according to your viewpoint. :)

So you want to join the ryu?
No need to review it, your first paragraph tells me all I need to know about you.

D

Deleted member 34973

Really, I am just amazed how many here will reject a difficult student.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really, I am just amazed how many here will reject a difficult student.
No one is requiring instructors to teach. There's no law that says they've got to guarantee learning for everyone who even bothers to show up and call themselves a "student" (never mind those who won't even do that). Not everyone is willing to learn. Not everyone is capable of learning the needed lessons. I'd mention that old "empty your cup" hackneyed saw, but I don't think you'd understand.

D

Deleted member 34973

I have seen many instructors make the same excuses for their own faults and incapability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions