Promotion stanrdards (Split from Is it disrespectful to ask [...])

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm motivated to start my own place and teach consistent TaeKwondo, without any betrayals of
giving in to other arts, which ALL ITF schools do today with their separate boxing instructions. If I wanted boxing, I would go to a legit boxing coach. Not be taught some half assed version.

Think about this.... you have been taught the half assed version (according to you), gained your black belt in it and you think you can go off and teach the 'real' stuff? Where are you going to go and learn that?

'separate boxing instructions'! my dear boy, you are going to be in for a shock one day.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many people complain that it's too easy to get a black belt in TKD, and hence it means nothing.

At the UFC gym I attend, everyone in BJJ is a white belt, even though some of the guys have solid wrestling and look pretty good. So it's the opposite problem there - white belt means nothing.
I prefer that problem.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to attend a passed for certain grading, feel free to do so. Maybe then you will realise that I am not BSing here, and that´s straight up in the ranks. One of the highest ranking dudes in ITF Taekwondo still living.
This is bad English. I can't make sense of it. As I said, I don't care what you do, it's between you and him. I just think it's a shame you can't see yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Think about this.... you have been taught the half assed version (according to you), gained your black belt in it and you think you can go off and teach the 'real' stuff? Where are you going to go and learn that?

'separate boxing instructions'! my dear boy, you are going to be in for a shock one day.

No, I said that they intermix the traditional training with half assed boxing that does not belong in TaeKwondo. And does no good because nobody in the school is qualified enough to teach it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My god,....I don't even know what to say to this thread anymore...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree that a formally incorrect technique might still break the board, it has not been established how a correct one wouldn't.
I actually covered that in my original comment on that question, as well as why that might not matter.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I said that they intermix the traditional training with half assed boxing that does not belong in TaeKwondo. And does no good because nobody in the school is qualified enough to teach it.

I suspect I have a better idea of what TKD trains than you do.

Anyway, it's getting dark and I shall get off the computer until it's dark tomorrow. I shan't hold my breath hoping you manage to open your mind before tomorrow. Not including myself there is a hell of a lot of collective martial arts wisdom on this thread and you aren't listening to any of them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know what's really sad here? The fact that you really do not seem to understand how great a fool you are making yourself look.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have spoken to BJJ black belts and it's BS that all BJJ schools have a higher level of rigor than Karate, TKD etc. Some (not all): award belts for sticking around long enough.
Based on reading what you've written in other threads, you do seem to post a lot based on hearsay from unnamed sources on topics you have no personal experience with. We have a few BJJ black belts on this forum. I don't know if you'll find any of us who will back you up on this.

How about this - instead of repeating rumors from anonymous sources, go find yourself a BJJ school and give a try for a bit. Let us know what you think about the promotion standards then. If you're ever near my area, I'll even give you a free class to try it out.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I already mentioned, the board wasn't wood, it was one of those you piece together after breaking it (another sign of a Mcdojo).

My dojo has a few of those rebreakable boards. The kids use them most often. Some beginner adults (or at least adults who haven't broken before) use them too.

Why do we have them? They're cheaper than wood in the long run, and they're more convenient.

We don't do a lot of breaking, so it's not like we've got stacks of boards just laying around waiting to get hit. Most of the time when we break (I've done it twice in the 2 and a half years I've been there), it's on a whim by the instructor. The kids hit them far more often, but it's still easily sporadic. It's a "anyone want to break tonight?" kind of thing with the adults, and a "here, punch through this" kind of thing when the teacher is trying to reinforce proper technique with the kids.

Boards are a pain in the butt. You've got to go out and buy them, cut them, bring them to the dojo, etc. Then they just sit there, taking up space. If it's part of the curriculum and you're planning ahead, or it's just a routine thing, it's not much of a hassle. When it's an afterthought, it's a hassle.

Buying boards isn't too expensive, but it adds up. Buying precut ones is far more expensive per break, and that adds up too, especially if it's not an important part of the program.

I've hit them a few times. Didn't feel McDojo to me. My dojo has them. My dojo doesn't feel McDojo to me.

We have 5 or 6 of them. Some are easier than a single board, some are a lot harder than a single board. And everything in between.

A time and place for everything. To be honest, I'd rather hit the rebreakable boards. Why? I feel guilty when I break $20 worth of boards in a single evening. I always feel like breaking boards is a waste of money after you've done it once or twice and proved to yourself that you can do it and it's no big deal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the viewpoint of a student, I feel that I've learned a lot more from smaller classes. I can't even imagine a class of 80, but I enjoy the smaller atmosphere, am more motivated, and get to see more of what the people with more experience/better technique than myself have.

My best experience was at a school that was small, but had a lot of visitors. So the class size would never be more than 10 (at the very most), but it was new people every month or so that were friends of the instructors visiting NYC from all kinds of backgrounds, and I got to experience people from all the different backgrounds. I have no idea how that worked financially, but as a student I loved it.
My favorite class size - both as a teacher and as a student is about 12. I like the variety inherent in having more than 10 people in the room, and the level of attention an instructor can give with just 6 pairs (we nearly always work in pairs or threes, even on solo exercises). The largest class (other than seminars) I've been in was when visiting an Aikido dojo in Lisbon, Portugal. I think there were 30+ people in the room. It was the biggest mat space I've ever been on (must have been over $10,000 worth of Swain mats). There were 3 or 4 instructors on the mats, and a few more brown and black belts training. Not much attention from The Instructor in that one, but easy access to an instructor, when needed. It was fun, but I still prefer 12.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
My dojo has a few of those rebreakable boards. The kids use them most often. Some beginner adults (or at least adults who haven't broken before) use them too.

Why do we have them? They're cheaper than wood in the long run, and they're more convenient.

We don't do a lot of breaking, so it's not like we've got stacks of boards just laying around waiting to get hit. Most of the time when we break (I've done it twice in the 2 and a half years I've been there), it's on a whim by the instructor. The kids hit them far more often, but it's still easily sporadic. It's a "anyone want to break tonight?" kind of thing with the adults, and a "here, punch through this" kind of thing when the teacher is trying to reinforce proper technique with the kids.

Boards are a pain in the butt. You've got to go out and buy them, cut them, bring them to the dojo, etc. Then they just sit there, taking up space. If it's part of the curriculum and you're planning ahead, or it's just a routine thing, it's not much of a hassle. When it's an afterthought, it's a hassle.

Buying boards isn't too expensive, but it adds up. Buying precut ones is far more expensive per break, and that adds up too, especially if it's not an important part of the program.

I've hit them a few times. Didn't feel McDojo to me. My dojo has them. My dojo doesn't feel McDojo to me.

We have 5 or 6 of them. Some are easier than a single board, some are a lot harder than a single board. And everything in between.

A time and place for everything. To be honest, I'd rather hit the rebreakable boards. Why? I feel guilty when I break $20 worth of boards in a single evening. I always feel like breaking boards is a waste of money after you've done it once or twice and proved to yourself that you can do it and it's no big deal.

Do you grade adults with them?

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what's really sad here? The fact that you really do not seem to understand how great a fool you are making yourself look.

I will tell you what's going on. TKD instructors reason: why not throw in boxing punching into the mix where we use our entire body into the mitts, and pretend to offer the entire package of striking. Buggs me to no end. If I do boxing I want proper instructions.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Axiom: Oh, so we're doing the turning punch now? Instructor: No, no, no, that's patterns. This is a boxing technique"

Sigh.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will tell you what's going on. TKD instructors reason: why not throw in boxing punching into the mix where we use our entire body into the mitts, and pretend to offer the entire package of striking. Buggs me to no end. If I do boxing I want proper instructions.
You have seriously contradicted yourself so many times on this forum and you've only been here a week

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You have seriously contradicted yourself so many times on this forum and you've only been here a week

I haven't contradicted myself at all. I said that the TKD boxing hook looks very similiar to boxers, I never said it was the same.

IM way ahead of you (not just in IQ).

Latest Discussions