Promotion stanrdards (Split from Is it disrespectful to ask [...])

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect I have a better idea of what TKD trains than you do.

Anyway, it's getting dark and I shall get off the computer until it's dark tomorrow. I shan't hold my breath hoping you manage to open your mind before tomorrow. Not including myself there is a hell of a lot of collective martial arts wisdom on this thread and you aren't listening to any of them.
Shabbat shalom, Tez.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have the energy to correct more inaccurate observations. Thank you and godnight!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, they don't test them at all. Stick around and the belt is yours, although this time no test. I don't see how that's any better.

BJJ also has a different method of testing. And that is other BJJ schools.

If your black belts are getting flogged by everyone else's white belts then your school will look like a bunch of idiots.

Otherwise you would be right.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
They should put me on a time machine to the 60s in South Korea when people lived TKD, there was no sport, no silly half assed boxing thrown in, and I would dedicate my life to it.

There was no sport Taekwondo in South Korea in the 1960's?

I'd recommend going to visit the museum at Kukkiwon in Seoul where there are quite a few photos from tournaments in the 60's, and one of the early hogu (body protector) with bamboo inside.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
A quotation from the translation of the book Modern History of Taekwondo, by Kang, Won-sik:

CHOI Hong Hi complained because the name of the art had been changed from Taekwondo to Taesoodo. This meant that the name of the art would become a big issue again between CHOI Hong Hi and the three leaders. CHOI Hong Hi put much effort in the sports (Che Yuk) community and also Taekwondo so he could become the 3rd President of the Korea Taesoodo Association in January 1965.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Many people complain that it's too easy to get a black belt in TKD, and hence it means nothing.

At the UFC gym I attend, everyone in BJJ is a white belt, even though some of the guys have solid wrestling and look pretty good. So it's the opposite problem there - white belt means nothing.
That's called sandbagging, and it's considered very bad form to hold back people who merit promotion to the next belt level.

Wrestlers do tend to improve quickly, but strong wrestling doesn't mean they've learned to keep their hips down when they pass guard, or not to give up their backs. Takes some time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have spoken to BJJ black belts and it's BS that all BJJ schools have a higher level of rigor than Karate, TKD etc. Some (not all): award belts for sticking around long enough.
Those schools will not perform well in competition. It's a pretty good system. Competitors at schools that promote too quickly will flounder and perform poorly. Competitors at schools that sandbag will crush the competition and lead to a poor reputation for that school. But it all evens out at black belt.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have spoken to BJJ black belts and it's BS that all BJJ schools have a higher level of rigor than Karate, TKD etc. Some (not all): award belts for sticking around long enough.
Which particular BJJ black belts have you spoken to, who have shared with you that they award belts for tenure in the school?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BJJ also has a different method of testing. And that is other BJJ schools.

If your black belts are getting flogged by everyone else's white belts then your school will look like a bunch of idiots.

Otherwise you would be right.
Hey! He was beaten by a yellow belt, not a white belt! Way different

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
My heart cries for TaeKwonDo on the inside given the instructors credentials. What has become of this great art. On the outside I'm fine with it.

They should put me on a time machine to the 60s in South Korea when people lived TKD, there was no sport, no silly half assed boxing thrown in, and I would dedicate my life to it.

Hope I didn't make anyone cry from that account. I know it's touching.
No you wouldn't because you'd get nervous apparently according to you.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't contradicted myself at all. I said that the TKD boxing hook looks very similiar to boxers, I never said it was the same.

IM way ahead of you (not just in IQ).
Didn't even know there was an ego quotient. Seriously, Axiom, take a break, grab a snack, drink, whatever, and just switch off transmit. You might learn something.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you grade adults with them?
We don't grade anyone with any boards, real or fake. Concrete slabs, bricks, roofing tiles, ice blocks, nor any other badass looking stuff either. We grade by breaking bones and teeth.

Ok, the last line is a stretch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you grade adults with them?

Rebreakables are cheaper (in the long term), more environmentally supportable, and more consistent break to break than wood. If breaking is a part of a test, there's no reason not to use them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rebreakables are cheaper (in the long term), more environmentally supportable, and more consistent break to break than wood. If breaking is a part of a test, there's no reason not to use them.
Stupid curiosity question...

Can you stack rebreakables like you can with wood, concrete, etc.? If yes, I'm pretty sure you have to have the line match up on every board.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid curiosity question...

Can you stack rebreakables like you can with wood, concrete, etc.? If yes, I'm pretty sure you have to have the line match up on every board.

Sure. The ones we have come in different colors to indicate difficulty. The easiest one (white) is equal to something like a 3" strip of pine and is suitable for tiny kids. Green is equal to a standard 1" pine board. Black is equal to 2.25" of pine. Stacking them is no more difficult than stacking pine.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just remembered a funny story related to your post...

My former sensei opened a new dojo (relocated, not another one), and we had a Grand Opening day. We were breaking boards left and right, beating up a guy dressed up as a dojo clown, etc. I know it sounds McDojo-esque, but we were just having fun and not taking ourselves too seriously.

The head of our organization came to show his support. One of the guys was trying everything he could to break this single line board. He punched the thing about 8 times, and he was putting everything he had into it. I couldn't tell what was going wrong from my angle. He broke a ton of boards earlier, so it wasn't like he couldn't break a board. He brings the board over to the head of our organization and asks "what am I doing wrong?" The head guy laughs and says "See all those knots? You probably couldn't break that thing with a sledgehammer!"

There were about 8 knots right in the middle of it, and about 10 knuckle indentations in it. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

One more that I was told about in my current dojo...

There was a black belt who'd won the breaking championship a few years in a row in our annual organization tournament. One year, he failed at a single concrete block (he'd broken several at a time every other year). After his DQ, he set it up off to the side and was determined to break it. He hit the thing several times. Another guy comes up with a sledgehammer and says "here, at least hit it with this." A chunck flew off and revealed there were iron rods in it (rebar?). He bought it himself, so it wasn't an intentional setup. The store he bought it at mislabeled it.

Everyone who knows him now buys an extra one to break with a sledgehammer before attempting to actually hit one for quality control purposes.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure. The ones we have come in different colors to indicate difficulty. The easiest one (white) is equal to something like a 3" strip of pine and is suitable for tiny kids. Green is equal to a standard 1" pine board. Black is equal to 2.25" of pine. Stacking them is no more difficult than stacking pine.
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. We have a few of the colors you listed. I usually hit the black one. I'll try 2 next time. Maybe I'll ask my teacher tomorrow. I haven't broke anything in a few months. It's fun to change it up every now and then. Especially when it doesn't cost anything.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was no sport Taekwondo in South Korea in the 1960's?

The first ITF World Championship was held in 1974. There were National Championships prior to that under different names. The real polution started with the WC and the new, silly, semi contact rules with gloves and feet protectors.

Latest Discussions