Probability of a Knok Out?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...and I'm sure that this isn't what Headhunter means...but you should DEFINITELY care about concussions, we all should. But, you can't science/research your way to anything. It's just not how this works. You can get knocked out from the silliest, most mundane thing and conversely people take savage beatings over 12 rounds and never leave their feet.

Protect your head. Don't fool with your brain. Training is supposed to keep you safe. If you put in the time, you'll develop a sense of when you are safe and when you are not and it won't have anything do to with metrics or vectors or P.S.I..

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is nobody else getting twitchy about the thread title?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is nobody else getting twitchy about the thread title?
Could've been worse he could've missed the n instead of the c then it would've said probability of a Kock out. That would've been an entirely different thread lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and I'm sure that this isn't what Headhunter means...but you should DEFINITELY care about concussions, we all should. But, you can't science/research your way to anything. It's just not how this works. You can get knocked out from the silliest, most mundane thing and conversely people take savage beatings over 12 rounds and never leave their feet.

Protect your head. Don't fool with your brain. Training is supposed to keep you safe. If you put in the time, you'll develop a sense of when you are safe and when you are not and it won't have anything do to with metrics or vectors or P.S.I..
Of course you need to care about concussions, I know not to take stupid amounts of hits to the head in training and I know if I ever do start taking to many heavy shots I stop but I don't need to research how many people get concusion every year lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? wanting some empirical data if it exists?

Technically it could be from any combat sport or even sport as well, i was just in preference to the non sport fight and the fight based knockouts/concussions. I do know about the glaring issue with asking this question and thats many variables go into it. (but thats never stopped anyone from doing quite ambiguous/dubious studies in the past) Plus i also made the statement to that effect at the end in a semi rambly nature, that there are too many variable and all of them need to be taken into account and studied for a fully scientific test, same with the need for a control sample. It still hasn't stopped many studies being done, it just wont be as scientific as you can make it due to the nature of it, and that might be next to useless, but its still of interest and the subject of the thread is my interest in such a statistic.

@jks9199 i will look into what they have and if they have anything on knockouts/concussion stats,thanks for the source. And its more for interest sake to see if anything exists on the topic. Just do me a favour, what does OSHA stand for, just in case there are multiples or a link to their main website would suffice in lieu.
OSHA is the Occupational Safety & Health Administration -- which is why they might have some info on the forces that cause concussions...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A keyword search of "concussion" on osha.gov reports 3173 events. It looks like the majority are from slips and falls, which would fall under OSHA'a purview. There are concussions from strikes by objects, whether swung or walking/falling into them. OSHA makes a claim that some professional athletes are employees and thereby fall under their jurisdiction but I could not find an account of a professional athlete and OSHA.
Government claims to have a hand in everything.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course you need to care about concussions, I know not to take stupid amounts of hits to the head in training and I know if I ever do start taking to many heavy shots I stop but I don't need to research how many people get concusion every year lol

I'm sure you do. Just making sure our OP doesn't miss the salient point that anyone with enough training would know.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seeing as op is in the UK, it might be worth looking at HSE.

OSHA wouldn't understand how us over here are built y'see.

Latest Discussions