anyone use MA moves in everyday life?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny that this thread came up. I get to work this morning and a girl I train 1on1 kickboxing comes up to me and tells me that her husband tried beating on her the day before. She said he was at home drinking all day and they started to have a little argument that lead to him taking some swings. She slipped them and hit him in the nose with a right cross. Broke his nose and got blood all over the kitchen. She told me that she did not even have to think, she just reacted.

Iwould say she used it in her everyday life. Needless to say his nose is broke andhas a nice little crook in it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny that this thread came up. I get to work this morning and a girl I train 1on1 kickboxing comes up to me and tells me that her husband tried beating on her the day before. She said he was at home drinking all day and they started to have a little argument that lead to him taking some swings. She slipped them and hit him in the nose with a right cross. Broke his nose and got blood all over the kitchen. She told me that she did not even have to think, she just reacted.

Iwould say she used it in her everyday life. Needless to say his nose is broke andhas a nice little crook in it.

The real question of course is why she stays with a man who beats her (or tries to).

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess that does constitute a faliure in her self defense skills.
sean

I have asked women that are or were in that position, that same question more times than I can remember.

I have seen it the other way as well(yes, the guy was being beaten by the woman).

Sometimes I think that some of these individuals are coming to me to train them so they stand a chance when they stand up to their abuser. I am not sure if that is correct, but I suspect that it may have some truth.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't use it every day, but since I took a job in a kitchen, I've run into a lot of "minding the blade" scenarios, and used a sombrada-like motion to get my prep knife away from a skittish server running through my kitchen.

Also, a dishwasher was mopping behind me and when I stepped back, I fell, knife in hand. I attached my puno to my thigh, blade out and away from me, and did a perfect breakfall, ending with a loud hand-SMACK on the tiled floor. I got back up, washed my hands, made sure the dishwasher cleaned my knife (and not to mop when we're still in operation) and went back to chopping.

Latest Discussions