How great is gap of damage unarmed strikes (esp punch and kicks) vs weapons? And weapon vs weapons?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oyama sensei was against beef.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why could a pillow do far more serious damage from a nobody like me than a boxing punch from George Foreman which is measured as being strong enough to pierce car doors?
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physics Math:

Kinetic Energy = 0.5MVV (I can't find the "squared" key). Translated, "Speed Kills."

Just one of the nifty Newtonian things at play during ... well, just about anything.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physics Math:

Kinetic Energy = 0.5MVV (I can't find the "squared" key). Translated, "Speed Kills."

Just one of the nifty Newtonian things at play during ... well, just about anything.
Agreed - that gives us the amount of energy present at any point in the weapon's path. To translate that into the force at impact, we have to go to F=MA. The weapon at least slightly increases M (mass) and significantly increases A (acceleration). The acceleration depends upon two factors: speed (the extended range of the weapon normally translates into higher velocity at the point of impact) and the time it takes to completely decelerate (negative acceleration, in this case - the weapon deforms less than a hand, decreasing the time involved in decelerating the mass to zero velocity).

(Side note, in discussions "^2" is usually used to represent "raised to the second power" since superscripts are often difficult in online fora.)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
How great is the gap between unarmed strike and a weapon? Let me punch you then let me hit you with a baseball bat and we can find out. Lol!!!