Observation on sparring

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well either she has hit you or your scared she might hit you in the future or you wouldn't have bothered posting about your hitting to hard concerns
It's an OBSERVATION genius I said it happens I didn't say anything else apart from it happened you seemed to be lost in a fantasy world making things up

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He was noting it. It seems apparent he thinks it's a potential problem, but that's about as far as we can go with what he said.
I'm not even saying it's a problem people hit hard in sparring it happens. I was simply noting that I thought people will hit harder when they know they won't be hit back that's literally all I said

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's an OBSERVATION genius I said it happens I didn't say anything else apart from it happened you seemed to be lost in a fantasy world making things up
well you clearly think it a serious issue or you wouldn't have taken the time to launch a whole thread on the dangers of over exuberant very young and very old ladies

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes If you say so, not complaint about the likely hood of being kicked by a granny and a young girl at all
At no point did he complain that he might get hit.

Let's take a more logical look at it, if that's okay with you. What if these two spar each other, given their tendencies? It's much more likely that either of them could hurt the other. And that could be a problem. The same goes for them sparring with someone with no skill (can't block) who is of similar size to them.

So, yeah, it's a potential problem, even if it's not a risk to the OP. You decided it could only be a problem if he feels threatened - look back, and you'll find he doesn't make that connection, at all.

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well you clearly think it a serious issue or you wouldn't have taken the time to launch a whole thread on the dangers of over exuberant very young and very old ladies
You don't half post some dumb **** you know that. Keyboard tough guy right here

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah all that time of 1 minute to write the thread yeah it was such a chore....this is a martial art forum I noticed something from training I posted it. When the hell did I say anything about any dangers I literally said I reckon they hit harder because they know they can't get hit as hard back...where on earth did I say anything that makes out that I'm scared or think it's dangerous

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At no point did he complain that he might get hit.

Let's take a more logical look at it, if that's okay with you. What if these two spar each other, given their tendencies? It's much more likely that either of them could hurt the other. And that could be a problem. The same goes for them sparring with someone with no skill (can't block) who is of similar size to them.

So, yeah, it's a potential problem, even if it's not a risk to the OP. You decided it could only be a problem if he feels threatened - look back, and you'll find he doesn't make that connection, at all.
Literally no idea why this guy thinks I'm scared...ive been sparring since I was 10 years old and have fought in multiple ring fights why the heck would I be scared of sparring a 12 year old...this guy doesn't seem to be using much logic. Honestly your points are valid but I didn't even think of it like that either. I was not complaining about anything just noting something I saw

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Literally no idea why this guy thinks I'm scared...ive been sparring since I was 10 years old and have fought in multiple ring fights why the heck would I be scared of sparring a 12 year old...this guy doesn't seem to be using much logic. Honestly your points are valid but I didn't even think of it like that either. I was not complaining about anything just noting something I saw
Wait... you mean you haven't figured out that he (allegedly) reads an entire post, takes a line or two out of context, puts his own asinine spin on it, and then won't shut up about it?

I thought you were a little sharper than that :)
In case you haven't noticed, just about every one of his posts follows that m.o. There's some sort of disconnect between his reading and comprehension.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you guys still respond to him? Even with him on ignore, he still manages to derail every conversation/thread from the original topic to a bickering contest. At this point, once I see what I think is a reply to him, I just stop reading the thread.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait... you mean you haven't figured out that he (allegedly) reads an entire post, takes a line or two out of context, puts his own asinine spin on it, and then won't shut up about it?

I thought you were a little sharper than that :)
In case you haven't noticed, just about every one of his posts follows that m.o. There's some sort of disconnect between his reading and comprehension.
Honestly not someone I pay much attention to since he's never posted anything worth remembering from what I've seen. Only just started seeing his nonsense saying how his nephews a ninja who can block every punch anyone ever throws after a week of training lol

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your the one that given himself a street fighting persona, that what call an internet " tough guy"
For once, I actually agree.

Edit: I've agreed with you a few times beforehand, now that I think about it. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Not sure which one of us is the broken clock though :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys still respond to him? Even with him on ignore, he still manages to derail every conversation/thread from the original topic to a bickering contest. At this point, once I see what I think is a reply to him, I just stop reading the thread.
How do you think I keep my post count up, KD?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For once, I actually agree.

Edit: I've agreed with you a few times beforehand, now that I think about it. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Not sure which one of us is the broken clock though :)
Agreed. That's what I find most frustrating. He makes some quite good points sometimes, and then...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So this is something I've noticed tonight when I was sparring. Note this isn't a general statement about everyone just something I noticed tonight ad may not apply to anywhere else.

But I was sitting out one round because of uneven numbers and what I noticed was the ones that were going hardest and throwing out of control shots were the ones who you couldn't hit back.

They were a 12 year old girl and a 69 year old woman. Both are ones that for obvious reasons you can't hit hard at all and need to use more control on. But they were throwing full power punches and kicks at everyone and they knew they could do that and get nothing in return. I doubt they'd have done that if they thought the opponent could turn it up on them.

Just something I noticed don't know if happens anywhere else but that's what I noticed
I don't mind because stuff like that is conditioning for me and good for them. I wouldn't want them to do the same to someone of the same skill level. I tell them to hit me hard because I know my conditioning and skill level can handle it. However with new students, I tell them not to hit me hard because they will actually hurt themselves by doing so. Seems normal to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a 10 year old student who I wouldn't allow to hit me hard. I did this for her safety. Wild and uncontrolled puches and power put her at risk of punching my elbow. Punches should be well placed and targeted. It also makes it dangerous for me. If I'm going easy on her then I'm taking a risk. If she's trying to kick my stomach then I shouldn't expect groin pain. If she's trying to punch me in my chest then my eye shouldn't feel the contact. Now that she has more control at the age of 13, I can allow her to hit me harder and we can go at it. She's always been really strong and has more than enough power to knock an adult out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mind because stuff like that is conditioning for me and good for them. I wouldn't want them to do the same to someone of the same skill level. I tell them to hit me hard because I know my conditioning and skill level can handle it. However with new students, I tell them not to hit me hard because they will actually hurt themselves by doing so. Seems normal to me.

this really, there are different levels of sparing, some are just gentle tag played with feet and hands and whilst that has a place in development , at some point you actually have to spar with the other person actually trying to hit you with more than just tip tap force other wise there is no stress on your cns to speed up you movement. Pain is an exceptionally good driver of development.

having someone throw full force kicks and punched at you is to your benefit, that they are old or very young just makes that training less valuable as you should easily be able to move or block their efforts, if you cant then you really really need to have a look at yourself and perhaps go up against someone who actually moves with the,speed of a fit developed adult , that might be the shock to the,system they need

i accept the point that new comers knocking holes in each other isn't the best, but an experience MA shouldnt really be in any danger of being hit, let alone hurt

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the OP is referring to two students who seem not to respond to the directive of intensity. It's fine for students to go hard when it's appropriate. It's not fine for them to go hard when their partner has been told to expect moderation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an experience MA shouldnt really be in any danger of being hit
I agree with everything else in your post. This part, however, I do not - except that we may simply be using different definitions of "experienced". If I wildly outclass them in skill, my risk is pretty low (unless I'm talking - I get hit a lot when I try to explain while sparring). But a student with 3-4 years of experience can still be hit by someone with no experience if they come at them full-on either wildly (less control) or unexpectedly (expecting a moderate session and get the "hurticane").

Latest Discussions