Need some good, yet affordable shin guards.

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if they make anything exactly like what I'm looking for - I haven't been able to find them yet.

But I got a really nasty downward elbow block to the lower shin, last week, so I need something better than the thin pads I've been using.

IDEALLY, I'd like to find something thick that covers from the top of the foot, up over the knee, and is quick and easy to get on and off. For the feet themselves, I already have some nice thick kicks.

IF I cant find something that covers the knees too, then at least from the top of the foot up to the knee.

Looking for 16" from the top of the foot to the knee, or longer if they cover the knee too. Prefer slip on type, without velcro.

I need these in an extra large size. I wear men's size 12 shoes, for example.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if they make anything exactly like what I'm looking for - I haven't been able to find them yet.

But I got a really nasty downward elbow block to the lower shin, last week, so I need something better than the thin pads I've been using.

IDEALLY, I'd like to find something thick that covers from the top of the foot, up over the knee, and is quick and easy to get on and off. For the feet themselves, I already have some nice thick kicks.

IF I cant find something that covers the knees too, then at least from the top of the foot up to the knee.

Looking for 16" from the top of the foot to the knee, or longer if they cover the knee too. Prefer slip on type, without velcro.

I need these in an extra large size. I wear men's size 12 shoes, for example.

Thanks.
what you need is more pain to lower your sensitivity, are you really considering doing ma with a thigh length padded leg protector,?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
what you need is more pain to lower your sensitivity, are you really considering doing ma with a thigh length padded leg protector,?
Why shouldn't he? Some people don't want to come out of training barely able to walk or he may have a leg injury. I know in Muay Thai we have to wear shin guards for sparring and drills

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why shouldn't he? Some people don't want to come out of training barely able to walk or he may have a leg injury. I know in Muay Thai we have to wear shin guards for sparring and drills
what up over your knees?he need wicket keeper pads

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
though i really can't see the point of learning an art which is largely based on hitting people with you shins if your to soft to hit people with your shins with out having a big pad on them. Fine if the pads are there to protect your sparing partner, but you need to do some toughening up as well, if they are to protect you from bruises

OP
M

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm starting to see the same pattern here, as with previous forums. First, some of the guys from the brutal training line of thought start telling me that I just need to toughen my body up with abuse. ( possibly not even IN martial arts, but sitting behind a computer in their underwear in mommie's basement and pretending to be )

Then someone asks what style, and when I tell them, they start calling it a McDojo because it's not their brutal training style. It turns into a big flame fest. So I'm going to bow out of this, and look for a way to delete my threads and shut down my account here. This was a mistake.

By the way, on the brutal training line of thought - hundreds or thousands of years ago, in societies where life meant almost nothing, they used to train warriors for actual wars by the process of elimination by death. Mao, who was no angel and killed 70 million Chinese, banned martial arts in China because they were holding tournaments where they fought to the death. ( Though I suspect that, being he killed 70 million, he didn't care, and just didn't want trained resistance. )

So I've never thought that I should be trashing my body while learning to defend myself. I'm a modern American and love this stuff, but am not willing to damage my body for it, and don't expect to be fighting with ancient weapons in any wars. ( not expecting a zombie apocalypse ) I want it to remain a fun and interesting thing for me. The differences are kinda like in the original Karate Kid movie. I'm not from the brutal school. So y'all take care.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Before you go...I've used a lot of different types of shin guards and trained without. I asked what style, because I wanted to understand what you were doing so that I could answer you based on my experience. If that appeals to you but you're uncomfortable talking about it publicly, feel free to PM me.

I won't judge you and I frankly don't care what you do, but if I can help answer your questions, I would be happy to.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm starting to see the same pattern here, as with previous forums. First, some of the guys from the brutal training line of thought start telling me that I just need to toughen my body up with abuse. ( possibly not even IN martial arts, but sitting behind a computer in their underwear in mommie's basement and pretending to be )

Then someone asks what style, and when I tell them, they start calling it a McDojo because it's not their brutal training style. It turns into a big flame fest. So I'm going to bow out of this, and look for a way to delete my threads and shut down my account here. This was a mistake.

By the way, on the brutal training line of thought - hundreds or thousands of years ago, in societies where life meant almost nothing, they used to train warriors for actual wars by the process of elimination by death. Mao, who was no angel and killed 70 million Chinese, banned martial arts in China because they were holding tournaments where they fought to the death. ( Though I suspect that, being he killed 70 million, he didn't care, and just didn't want trained resistance. )

So I've never thought that I should be trashing my body while learning to defend myself. I'm a modern American and love this stuff, but am not willing to damage my body for it, and don't expect to be fighting with ancient weapons in any wars. ( not expecting a zombie apocalypse ) I want it to remain a fun and interesting thing for me. The differences are kinda like in the original Karate Kid movie. I'm not from the brutal school. So y'all take care.
think you are over stating you case, i didn't,suggest picking up hot pans with your fore arms ley alone fighting to the death. But is is a ma and that requires you to develop your body conditioning and part of that is raising your tolerances of pain. But as a modern American you perhaps don't want to experience discomfort and that's fine, but advice to work on your conditioning is quite reasonable, as clearly if your normal shin guards are not thick enough then you have a very low pain thresh hold, and you have a low pain threshold because you don't experience enough pain to increase your threshold

perhaps something like this would,suit you?

Attachments

• Cricket_wicket_keeper.jpg
    Cricket_wicket_keeper.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
think you are over stating you case, i didn't,suggest picking up hot pans with your fore arms ley alone fighting to the death. But is is a ma and that requires you to develop your body conditioning and part of that is raising your tolerances of pain. But as a modern American you perhaps don't want to experience discomfort and that's fine, but advice to work on your conditioning is quite reasonable, as clearly if your normal shin guards are not thick enough then you have a very low pain thresh hold, and you have a low pain threshold because you don't experience enough pain to increase your threshold

Neither you nor I have any idea what type of training he is doing and why. The difference is that you've made a value judgement about him and I have not. There are things that I use shin guards for and things that I don't. I promise you that you are not tough enough to go without for the training that I advocate using them for. Without knowing what he is doing, I can't offer him good advice, but that didn't stop you.

You have also decided somehow that he is an American, though I'm not sure how because I don't see an indication one way or another.

What's the old saying, "seek first to understand and then to be understood."?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

perhaps something like this would,suit you?

Either that or the people he is sparring with are hitting way too hard for training, at which point getting thicker shin pads aren't going solve the issue.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I completely agree with you. Frankly in my eyes what's the point in destroying yourself especially if you're not going to compete. If you're going to compete you do need to be able to take a shot and deal with pain but if you're doing it just as a hobby then there's no need at all to wreck yourself and cause serious damage to yourself

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Neither you nor I have any idea what type of training he is doing and why. The difference is that you've made a value judgement about him and I have not. There are things that I use shin guards for and things that I don't. I promise you that you are not tough enough to go without for the training that I advocate using them for. Without knowing what he is doing, I can't offer him good advice, but that didn't stop you.

You have also decided somehow that he is an American, though I'm not sure how because I don't see an indication one way or another.

What's the old saying, "seek first to understand and then to be understood."?

Maybe because he says that he's American?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I completely agree with you. Frankly in my eyes what's the point in destroying yourself especially if you're not going to compete. If you're going to compete you do need to be able to take a shot and deal with pain but if you're doing it just as a hobby then there's no need at all to wreck yourself and cause serious damage to yourself
what Serious damage is he going to sustain from an elbow to the shin , he is hardly having a metal studied football boots raked down his shin and they get by with quote thin shin guards. To be honest it was his desire to have,shin guards that go over his knees and up to his thigh that made me spit my coffee. Why not go the whole hog and wear a fat suit?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe because he says that he's American?
a modern American as opposed to an old fashion American, maybe the American contingent could tell us what the,difference is? I'm imagine from context it mean not having to put up with slight bruising

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I missed his inline comment that he was an American. I don't know what a modern one is vs a "classic" one (I guess) is. But his profile says he is 60 years old.

Training is not one size fits all.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I missed his inline comment that he was an American. I don't know what a modern one is vs a "classic" one (I guess) is. But his profile says he is 60 years old.

Training is not one size fits all.
may be classic Americans are a hardy people that tamed the wild west and ran rail roads through mountains and modern Americans drive air,conditioned cars and avoid any slight brusing

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
may be classic Americans are a hardy people that tamed the wild west and ran rail roads through mountains and modern Americans drive air,conditioned cars and avoid any slight brusing

Yeah, you're probably right. You certainly seem to have all 325 million of us figured out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. You certainly seem to have all 325 million of us figured out.
I'm sure there are a few,classic American left, but don't take it hard, the British have gone,sort as well, they make us wear crash helmets and,seat belts now and shin pads to play soccer, wimps

Latest Discussions