Observation on sparring

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the OP is referring to two students who seem not to respond to the directive of intensity. It's fine for students to go hard when it's appropriate. It's not fine for them to go hard when their partner has been told to expect moderation.
the fact that two students using,actual power is note worthy suggests that the spring done at his class is low speed gentle soft touch and that is mostly useless for the,development of the students, it sounds like the young girl and the old lady need a tougher group to work with

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with everything else in your post. This part, however, I do not - except that we may simply be using different definitions of "experienced". If I wildly outclass them in skill, my risk is pretty low (unless I'm talking - I get hit a lot when I try to explain while sparring). But a student with 3-4 years of experience can still be hit by someone with no experience if they come at them full-on either wildly (less control) or unexpectedly (expecting a moderate session and get the "hurticane").
well , they really shouldn't, not twice anyway, it can only be unexpected the first time and their conditioned response should kick in to block or move at an appropriate speed, however if they are only experienced at people throwing lazy low speed punches at them, then yes they may well be caught out, but that the hen is a fault of the training not teaching them to deal with power movements that they are not expecting. It's a ma class, you shouldn't really get sucker punched, when you are expecting a punch

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fact that two students using,actual power is note worthy suggests that the spring done at his class is low speed gentle soft touch and that is mostly useless for the,development of the students, it sounds like the young girl and the old lady need a tougher group to work with
It would be noteworthy at any time when the class has been instructed to moderate. If those two were going full-out, it should be notable almost anytime - most of us will rarely (if ever) go full-on in a class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well , they really shouldn't, not twice anyway, it can only be unexpected the first time and their conditioned response should kick in to block or move at an appropriate speed, however if they are only experienced at people throwing lazy low speed punches at them, then yes they may well be caught out, but that the hen is a fault of the training not teaching them to deal with power movements that they are not expecting. It's a ma class, you shouldn't really get sucker punched, when you are expecting a punch
Not my view, at all. I've been sucker punched by someone who said they wanted to do some light sparring, then flipped the switch to full speed between punches. When you're working to moderate your reactions, it takes real time for those instructions to change. I've not measured it, but I estimate it doubles the reaction time when changing gears like that. It's why a changeup pitch works in baseball.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow that's all I can say about you..you must live in a nice little fantasy world where you make things up with no evidence. Our gym is made up of competitive fighters and a number of British and Europeian champions in different categories

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not my view, at all. I've been sucker punched by someone who said they wanted to do some light sparring, then flipped the switch to full speed between punches. When you're working to moderate your reactions, it takes real time for those instructions to change. I've not measured it, but I estimate it doubles the reaction time when changing gears like that. It's why a changeup pitch works in baseball.
i don't under stand why your working to moderate( slow down) your reactions, this is straying off to the other discussion on working on your speed, the only reason for learning to work with slow punches is you are building the movement pattern, once you have established that then you need to de it at greater and greater speed to build up the speed of your movement. Other wise you development stops there and you will never build the reactions and muscle connection to deal with a faster movement.

a fundamental point in learning ma, is that you can deal with sudden and unexpected fast movement

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow that's all I can say about you..you must live in a nice little fantasy world where you make things up with no evidence. Our gym is made up of competitive fighters and a number of British and Europeian champions in different categories
and are the British champions,complaining about a dangerous,12yo girl or is that just you?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
and are the British champions,complaining about a dangerous,12yo girl or is that just you?
who the hell is complaining Im done replying to you have fun in your fantasy land

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't under stand why your working to moderate( slow down) your reactions, this is straying off to the other discussion on working on your speed, the only reason for learning to work with slow punches is you are building the movement pattern, once you have established that then you need to de it at greater and greater speed to build up the speed of your movement. Other wise you development stops there and you will never build the reactions and muscle connection to deal with a faster movement.

a fundamental point in learning ma, is that you can deal with sudden and unexpected fast movement
There are two reasons I commonly moderate my speed. You mentioned the first: to work on movement patterns. The other is to work with people who are working on their movement patterns (or just someone who is far less skilled).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

building on that, I've been drilling with the young guy who is very fast, we start of nice and slow to get the movement pattern establish then its full speed full power, if i don't move fast enough i get punched, that has sped up my movements no end. Continuing slow the slow movement for an extended period is of no use at all. That's where Tma falls down, to much pratise nor enough realism

the instructor is getting all concerned, that a,serious injury is just around the corner and telling us to knock it down a notch

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are two reasons I commonly moderate my speed. You mentioned the first: to work on movement patterns. The other is to work with people who are working on their movement patterns (or just someone who is far less skilled).
yes i can see that teaching is different to learning, but to much of that abd not enough speed development work will have you slowed down to the level you spend most time operating at

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
building on that, I've been drilling with the young guy who is very fast, we start of nice and slow to get the movement pattern establish then its full speed full power, if i don't move fast enough i get punched, that has sped up my movements no end. Continuing slow the slow movement for an extended period is of no use at all. That's where Tma falls down, to much pratise nor enough realism

the instructor is getting all concerned, that a,serious injury is just around the corner and telling us to knock it down a notch
That depends what you're training. Wrestling does a lot of slow work, as does BJJ. Why? Because that's how you best learn complex technical movement. With strikes, there's less need, as the movement is less complex. Most striking systems (including boxing, karate, etc.) slow things down to work on specific concepts, then speed them up gradually but quickly. We do the same when working with strikes, or with a grappling technique that is already known. With a new grappling technique, trying to speed it up too soon can result in a much longer learning curve.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i can see that teaching is different to learning, but to much of that abd not enough speed development work will have you slowed down to the level you spend most time operating at
It will, but it's less a matter of muscle speed (that I keep developed with my bag work, etc.) and more a matter of pattern recognition. I don't face fast, intense strikes nearly as much as I did 15 years ago, so my ability to recognize them has dropped off a bit. Others don't seem to notice it, but I do.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That depends what you're training. Wrestling does a lot of slow work, as does BJJ. Why? Because that's how you best learn complex technical movement. With strikes, there's less need, as the movement is less complex. Most striking systems (including boxing, karate, etc.) slow things down to work on specific concepts, then speed them up gradually but quickly. We do the same when working with strikes, or with a grappling technique that is already known. With a new grappling technique, trying to speed it up too soon can result in a much longer learning curve.
its not a case of speeding it up to soon, if its failing its to fast, but it should be done at the fastest speed that allows it to be correctly exicuted.. In he real world great speed and less than perfect techneque has a habit of trumping great technique but ponderous speed.

in my fast,drilling, when it gets really fast i have,a bad habit of abandoning the selected technique and doing a more deeply conditioned movement, like I'm supposed to trap the arm and pull, but i hit them with an elbow instead, the end result is good but its not what I'm supposed to be doing, but that movement pattern is what,comes once I'm running on auto. This annoys the instructor but I'm happy as i have an effective move programmed in for any street attacks

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not a case of speeding it up to soon, if its failing its to fast, but it should be done at the fastest speed that allows it to be correctly exicuted.. In he real world great speed and less than perfect techneque has a habit of trumping great technique but ponderous speed.

in my fast,drilling, when it gets really fast i have,a bad habit of abandoning the selected technique and doing a more deeply conditioned movement, like I'm supposed to trap the arm and pull, but i hit them with an elbow instead, the end result is good but its not what I'm supposed to be doing, but that movement pattern is what,comes once I'm running on auto. This annoys the instructor but I'm happy as i have an effective move programmed in for any street attacks
Nothing I especially disagree with, when we are talking about actual application. For learning, though, going faster and doing something (other than the technique/application intended) isn't effective, even if it "works". You won't have developed that tool. In free sparring, your concept is applicable. When developing a tool, it does not.

The reason it annoys the instructor is that you're not bothering to learn. If you think that movement you already have is sufficient, stop going to class. If you want to learn new tools, stop doing things that aren't the drill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attempting to discuss much less argue with those who already have all the answers is a waste of time and energy.
I can't disagree, Danny, but I do find it gives me a chance to challenge my own thought processes. Besides, I gotta.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but an experience MA shouldnt really be in any danger of being hit, let alone hurt
This doesn't hold true if you are teaching and coaching your student as you spar, which is something I always do as an instructor. It may be different if someone doesn't have to split their attention between landing good shots, avoiding shots, and watching the student so that I can be aware of their weaknesses and if they put themselves at great risk.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the OP is referring to two students who seem not to respond to the directive of intensity. It's fine for students to go hard when it's appropriate. It's not fine for them to go hard when their partner has been told to expect moderation.
oh I read it as one student was more advanced than the older or bigger and stronger than the other and that it was the least experienced or the weaker of the 2 that were going at it hard.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh I read it as one student was more advanced than the older or bigger and stronger than the other and that it was the least experienced or the weaker of the 2 that were going at it hard.
I think that's also true - that these folks were probably outclassed - and as others mentioned it probably contributed. But anytime someone is expecting moderation, because that was the direction, and gets something different, that's a setup for a problem.

Latest Discussions