Observation on sparring

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but I do find it gives me a chance to challenge my own thought processes.
Can be done with those who are truly interested in discussing and open to other perspectives.
Besides, I gotta.
LOL..well you do have a sense of humor. Some should follow your lead in that or at least attempt to recognize satire.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that's also true - that these folks were probably outclassed - and as others mentioned it probably contributed. But anytime someone is expecting moderation, because that was the direction, and gets something different, that's a setup for a problem.
I agree. If the rule is for moderation then it's not far to the person getting blasted. That means that that person can't try some of the techniques that he or she may not be good at because they are too busy defending and playing it safe, due to the power of the strikes that come in. I used to spar with someone who had a "Macho" complex where he felt tough because he was hitting hard and taking hard hits. His ability to spar using Kung Fu wasn't good, and his learning of applications took longer. He doesn't do that anymore and as a result he quickly became better with using Kung Fu techniques. Now he understands that he only needs to hit as hard as needed to learn. He's more dangerous now than he was when he ignored the value of moderation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh I read it as one student was more advanced than the older or bigger and stronger than the other and that it was the least experienced or the weaker of the 2 that were going at it hard.
he was refering to an old lady and a young girl who he considered were a danger to other MAers

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you'd care to point out where he said "danger" or anything remotely close to it.
Don't be silly that'd require actually reading the thread properly (and then maybe realising he's made so much rubbish up)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
he was refering to an old lady and a young girl who he considered were a danger to other MAers
I didn't read it like that. The tone of the statements was one of an observation that he only experienced because he had to sit out a round of sparring because of uneven numbers. For most I would think dangerous people aren't observed, they distract and they fill the room with their intensity. Like the one guy that some schools had makes an instructor worry that he may hurt someone because he can't control his intensity. Or the guy that's so good, fast, sneaky, or just skilled, that everyone says it and knows it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't read it like that. The tone of the statements was one of an observation that he only experienced because he had to sit out a round of sparring because of uneven numbers. For most I would think dangerous people aren't observed, they distract and they fill the room with their intensity. Like the one guy that some schools had makes an instructor worry that he may hurt someone because he can't control his intensity. Or the guy that's so good, fast, sneaky, or just skilled, that everyone says it and knows it.
Of course not If I'd sparred with both of them I'd have gotten on with it but since I saw them both sparring at the same time it was something I noted but somehow this guys got it in his head I'm intimidated by them...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course not If I'd sparred with both of them I'd have gotten on with it but since I saw them both sparring at the same time it was something I noted but somehow this guys got it in his head I'm intimidated by them...
there no need to he ashamed about it, some of those little girls can be pretty scary

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing I especially disagree with, when we are talking about actual application. For learning, though, going faster and doing something (other than the technique/application intended) isn't effective, even if it "works". You won't have developed that tool. In free sparring, your concept is applicable. When developing a tool, it does not.

The reason it annoys the instructor is that you're not bothering to learn. If you think that movement you already have is sufficient, stop going to class. If you want to learn new tools, stop doing things that aren't the drill.
that wasn't really my point, I'm there to learn, the elbow techneque is one of learn at class.

the point I'm making, is that once its,full speed and real punches i have no choice in what i do, I'm working purely on instinctive reaction and that is my reaction, don't fanny about with low% arm trap moves,they are wide open, hit them very very hard.

or another way, a techneque can be said to be learnt when and only when you instinctively do it under pressure , and that where a lot of tma cones unstuck, countless reps and then when someone actually attacks you , you cover up and let them hit you or what ever. Because its never been done at the point where it hurts a great deal if make a mess of it. Which takes us back to the OAP and the young girl, they shouldn't be able to hit you as you have trained an instinctive reaction to block or move at sudden fast movement. If they can catch you unaware in a drill, then your not going to fare very well when a drunk suddenly throws a punch at you with out warning

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that wasn't really my point, I'm there to learn, the elbow techneque is one of learn at class.

the point I'm making, is that once its,full speed and real punches i have no choice in what i do, I'm working purely on instinctive reaction and that is my reaction, don't fanny about with low% arm trap moves,they are wide open, hit them very very hard.

or another way, a techneque can be said to be learnt when and only when you instinctively do it under pressure , and that where a lot of tma cones unstuck, countless reps and then when someone actually attacks you , you cover up and let them hit you or what ever. Because its never been done at the point where it hurts a great deal if make a mess of it. Which takes us back to the OAP and the young girl, they shouldn't be able to hit you as you have trained an instinctive reaction to block or move at sudden fast movement. If they can catch you unaware in a drill, then your not going to fare very well when a drunk suddenly throws a punch at you with out warning
Nothing there I disagree with.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the fact that two students using,actual power is note worthy suggests that the spring done at his class is low speed gentle soft touch and that is mostly useless for the,development of the students, it sounds like the young girl and the old lady need a tougher group to work with

We have a couple of girls with only one speed. And we sort of go flat knacker at times.

Now saying that if I am sparring a 50kg girl. When I am 90kg guy I generally don't go flat knacker because that would kind of be a bit mean.

And I think that may be the issue. If everybody outweighs you you may instinctively stepp up the juice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a couple of girls with only one speed. And we sort of go flat knacker at times.

Now saying that if I am sparring a 50kg girl. When I am 90kg guy I generally don't go flat knacker because that would kind of be a bit mean.

And I think that may be the issue. If everybody outweighs you you may instinctively stepp up the juice.
It seems pretty likely. I mean, most of us will instinctively step it down if we're facing someone much smaller or much less skilled, and I know I sharpen up when the guy in front of me has a shoulder where his eyes should be.

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well your a bit out of you depth discussing sparing then?
Firstly I do spar. I spar with my friends every weekend in their garage second I didn't say anything about sparring I just said you talk a lot of dumb ****

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Firstly I do spar. I spar with my friends every weekend in their garage second I didn't say anything about sparring I just said you talk a lot of dumb ****
what they have a spar in the garage! That's,a bit posh, hope you keep your trunks on

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what they have a spar in the garage! That's,a bit posh, hope you keep your trunks on
I know your trying to be funny but you just make yourself look dumb. That's what people say they say I'll spar with you. I thought I better tell you incase you're just that dumb

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This doesn't hold true if you are teaching and coaching your student as you spar, which is something I always do as an instructor. It may be different if someone doesn't have to split their attention between landing good shots, avoiding shots, and watching the student so that I can be aware of their weaknesses and if they put themselves at great risk.

Wait. What? That is what you do sparring anyway. So you can bash them more effectively.

Latest Discussions