Observation on sparring

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this is something I've noticed tonight when I was sparring. Note this isn't a general statement about everyone just something I noticed tonight ad may not apply to anywhere else.

But I was sitting out one round because of uneven numbers and what I noticed was the ones that were going hardest and throwing out of control shots were the ones who you couldn't hit back.

They were a 12 year old girl and a 69 year old woman. Both are ones that for obvious reasons you can't hit hard at all and need to use more control on. But they were throwing full power punches and kicks at everyone and they knew they could do that and get nothing in return. I doubt they'd have done that if they thought the opponent could turn it up on them.

Just something I noticed don't know if happens anywhere else but that's what I noticed

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So this is something I've noticed tonight when I was sparring. Note this isn't a general statement about everyone just something I noticed tonight ad may not apply to anywhere else.

But I was sitting out one round because of uneven numbers and what I noticed was the ones that were going hardest and throwing out of control shots were the ones who you couldn't hit back.

They were a 12 year old girl and a 69 year old woman. Both are ones that for obvious reasons you can't hit hard at all and need to use more control on. But they were throwing full power punches and kicks at everyone and they knew they could do that and get nothing in return. I doubt they'd have done that if they thought the opponent could turn it up on them.

Just something I noticed don't know if happens anywhere else but that's what I noticed
My assumptions:
They don't get the same punishment someone else might get for not having control.

They also may not relate to the ways that it sucks having someone not use control in friendly sparring, since it's not something they've had to experience.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will give the benefit of doubt here. I had a student who was like that. As a white belt, always going way harder then he should when sparring the upper ranks. I found out much later that he thought he sucked so he was trying to step it up , thinking the upper ranks would appreciate it ,so that they didn't feel it was a waste of their time.
I would guess in your example they think they are to soft and suck, so therfore they can go as hard as they can because it will still be too week compared to everyone else.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will give the benefit of doubt here. I had a student who was like that. As a white belt, always going way harder then he should when sparring the upper ranks. I found out much later that he thought he sucked so he was trying to step it up , thinking the upper ranks would appreciate it ,so that they didn't feel it was a waste of their time.
I would guess in your example they think they are to soft and suck, so therfore they can go as hard as they can because it will still be too week compared to everyone else.
I was thinking this and that maybe they feel they need to go harder to hang with the rest. If I'm sparring with someone better than me, I'm trying a lot harder. That doesn't mean I'm hitting harder nor using less control, but I'm trying to hit every opening I can. I also have a good sense of who wants to hit hard and who doesn't.

I'm just saying this as a 3rd kyu who spars with a few 3rd and 4th dans regularly. My school is very black belt heavy, and I don't have any adults who are my rank; they're all either just started a few months ago or have been there for over 10 years.

My advice is give them the benefit of the doubt and work with them. They genuinely might not think they're hitting as hard as they are. Let them know in a polite way. If I was hitting too hard and people felt they couldn't hit me hard, I'd definitely want to know. No reasonable person wants to be "that guy."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happens a lot. Just like you see people fighting a whole lot harder in non-contact tournaments and sparring than in something like kickboxing or hard sparring...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

but as girls at 12 and 69 they really shouldn't be able to a) hit you and b) hurt you unless they are very special or you are very slow and sensitive
if its drilling where you are deliberately leaving yourself open to a hit, then a quiet ", not so hard is required"

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
but as girls at 12 and 69 they really shouldn't be able to a) hit you and b) hurt you unless they are very special or you are very slow and sensitive
if its drilling where you are deliberately leaving yourself open to a hit, then a quiet ", not so hard is required"
Oh yeah well no one can hit you can they because you're a super tough bad *** aren't you who thinks we should all get smashed to pieces in training or we're wimps as you like to tell everyone

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah well no one can hit you can they because you're a super tough bad *** aren't you who thinks we should all get smashed to pieces in training or we're wimps as you like to tell everyone
not quite my point, but if your complaining about being out spared by elderly woman then your a long way down the bad stakes,

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
not quite my point, but if your complaining about being out spared by elderly woman then your a long way down the bad stakes,
Grow up and learn to read where was I complaining about it. Maybe if you'd read the thread properly instead of thinking about how to tell us how tough you are you'd realise that I said I noticed it from /WATCHING/

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Grow up and learn to read where was I complaining about it. Maybe if you'd read the thread properly instead of thinking about how to tell us how tough you are you'd realise that I said I noticed it from /WATCHING/
yea and then came on here complaining about it.

the point remains at very nearly 70 she shouldn't be able to even hit you

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
yea and then came on here complaining about it.

the point remains at very nearly 70 she shouldn't be able to even hit you
Anyone can hit anyone you need to learn that fast again where did I say she hit me. Again grow up and learn to read

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone can hit anyone you need to learn that fast again where did I say she hit me. Again grow up and learn to read
well either she has hit you or your scared she might hit you in the future or you wouldn't have bothered posting about your hitting to hard concerns

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know a few 70 year old men that would take us all out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i know a few 70 year old men that would take us all out.
quite possibly, I'm hoping to be one of them myself, but he is crying about a 70 WOMAN and a 12 yo girl they can't both have super human strength and speed

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps it's not even a conscious thing. Most of us learn that if we go really hard, we get hit really hard, because our partners match our intensity. It goes for grappling, too. So, we dial it back most of the time to avoid the bruising and nagging injuries. If nobody is giving them back at their own intensity, there's simply no feedback to cause them to dial it back.

I have noticed that sometimes people much junior to me, who can't match me in sparring, start sparring harder. They usually back down when I start blocking harder (I use very light sparring gear because I'm not going to hit with any force in that situation, so my blocks are strong open-hand strikes).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well either she has hit you or your scared she might hit you in the future or you wouldn't have bothered posting about your hitting to hard concerns
What he posted was an observation, not a complaint. There's a rather dramatic difference between those two concepts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was complaining about what he observed , it was hardly a neutral post was it
He was noting it. It seems apparent he thinks it's a potential problem, but that's about as far as we can go with what he said.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was noting it. It seems apparent he thinks it's a potential problem, but that's about as far as we can go with what he said.
yes If you say so, not complaint about the likely hood of being kicked by a granny and a young girl at all

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
quite possibly, I'm hoping to be one of them myself, but he is crying about a 70 WOMAN and a 12 yo girl they can't both have super human strength and speed
Who the hells crying....I simply said it happened

Latest Discussions