Observation on sparring

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
its not a case of speeding it up to soon, if its failing its to fast, but it should be done at the fastest speed that allows it to be correctly exicuted.. In he real world great speed and less than perfect techneque has a habit of trumping great technique but ponderous speed.

in my fast,drilling, when it gets really fast i have,a bad habit of abandoning the selected technique and doing a more deeply conditioned movement, like I'm supposed to trap the arm and pull, but i hit them with an elbow instead, the end result is good but its not what I'm supposed to be doing, but that movement pattern is what,comes once I'm running on auto. This annoys the instructor but I'm happy as i have an effective move programmed in for any street attacks

The issue you have is you can over run yourself and develop flaws in the transition.

If you rush to the end point you may miss the elements that get you there.

If you take care of those elements the end point takes care of itself.

So as a practical application we do a drill Jab,cross,hook,double leg.

Now you can rush through those punches in the drill. And people do it all the time. But if they are not worried about the punches they are much better quipped to defend the double leg.

At which point the concept is brought up to enjoy each position.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know your trying to be funny but you just make yourself look dumb. That's what people say they say I'll spar with you. I thought I better tell you incase you're just that dumb
look if you want to spend your Saturdays wrestling with men in a Jacuzzi , that ok i don't judge, but please keep the trunks on

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait. What? That is what you do sparring anyway. So you can bash them more effectively.
It is a different kind of attention - more conscious and more focused on long-term decelopment than immediate openings is the only way I can think of to describe it. I'm better at sparring when I'm not in teacher mode.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait. What? That is what you do sparring anyway. So you can bash them more effectively.
It's almost like the same focus that someone may have when they are coaching from the side and yelling out corrections, except it's more personal and as an instructor I can pick up on things that I may miss if I coach from the side. I can see things like the student tensing up, holding his/her breath, wandering eyes, tunnel vision, and other stuff. When I'm teaching I'm trying to correct issues more so than exploit openings. I may attack an opening as a reminder to the student vs me attacking to an opening to punish the student. When I'm sparring I'm looking for things that the student should be working on next. There could be 10 things wrong, but I'll only pick 1 or 2 that are the most critical for that student's improvement and development. I can address the other 8 mistakes once the student corrects the priority mistakes.

When I'm sparring and not teaching then my sparring sometimes becomes all about me hitting the student or my opponent. I'd be lucky to even remember mistakes that they made, because I look at their mistakes as my opportunities. When I teach and spar, my sentences are all about the student and the things they need to work on. When I'm just sparring then my sentences become all about me and how I took advantage of openings and how I set things up. A good example was a recent video that a new member BigAL posted of him sparring against one of his students. In the video he talks about how he is taking advantage of the student. Had he been teaching he would have been correcting the students elbows out. Instead he's just "beating" is student and I can only assume he'll use the video to address the issues later on, instead of addressing them while sparring.

It is a different kind of attention - more conscious and more focused on long-term decelopment than immediate openings is the only way I can think of to describe it. I'm better at sparring when I'm not in teacher mode.
Yes it's difficult to explain in words. I have a video of me teaching this way and it would be much easier to show that than trying to explain it.

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
look if you want to spend your Saturdays wrestling with men in a Jacuzzi , that ok i don't judge, but please keep the trunks on
You seem to like thinking about guys in jacuzzis and talking about them taking their trunks off. Sounds like you're one of those creepy old men you even have a clown as your icon. I think someone needs to look into this guy and check what he's got on his search history I'm a bit worried.

Latest Discussions