No women allowed In this guys BJJ class

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why waste time on a bandaid fix when you can jump right to the root of the problem?

1. Mandatory annual awareness training for doctors. If your training lapses, your privileges are revoked by your clinic, or your license revoked by your state (if private practice). Training to identify common racial biases and how to avoid them. This sets the tone that its important, and gives tools for doctors and staff to recognize these biases and act on them. Or if you see someone else acting this way, to have a mechanism to call them out.
  2. Monitoring and reporting services. Track patient outcomes by race, and address any doctors, staff, or organizations that show a disparity between races. Have reporting procedures in place for staff or patients to report anything they think is a bias based on any protected status (race, gender, etc). This will make patients feel safer, and give recourse if they don't have the safe experience they expect.
  3. If it is found that doctors are overtly acting in a racist fashion, fire them immediately and revoke their medical license. If they are simply acting on subconscious bias, give them stronger training on correcting that bias, and put them on probation. If they don't show an uptick in success rate unbiased of race, then fire them.
A bandaid will only obfuscate the issue and make it take longer for these measures to take effect. It will only reinforce the idea that white doctors aren't safe. Awareness training is something that could be implemented relatively quickly. And its something that wouldn't doom the career of every politician that signed it, nor would it put us on the potential path for further segregation.

Black guys keep robbing my shop. Let's ban black people untill we can put on extra security.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This week’s sign of the apocalypse:

@jobo posts that are logical and make perfect sense. And many of them in the same thread.
First, it amuses me that this is pretty much like talking about someone who is in the room. I think @jobo's head is too big, and he eats so much garlic, he sweats it.

All that said, @jobo makes a lot of sense to me. I don't agree with him all the time, but I think he generally has a consistent logic, and his posting style is predictable. And when he doesn't... @drop bear, what was it you said once? That this forum is like verbal sparring or something like that. I think he'd argue with anyone about anything. And even that's not unique. I mean, several people who are (I think) considered constructive posters are afflicted with the same curse of quite literally not being able to "drop it".. looking at you @dvcochran, @gpseymour, @drop bear to name a few.

There's a lot of pigeon holing that goes on around here, and it's bad for business, IMO. Sometimes, I think it would be better if we were all assigned a random username every time we log on, so that the posts were liberated from the reputations of the posters.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First, it amuses me that this is pretty much like talking about someone who is in the room. I think @jobo's head is too big, and he eats so much garlic, he sweats it.

All that said, @jobo makes a lot of sense to me. I don't agree with him all the time, but I think he generally has a consistent logic, and his posting style is predictable. And when he doesn't... @drop bear, what was it you said once? That this forum is like verbal sparring or something like that. I think he'd argue with anyone about anything. And even that's not unique. I mean, several people who are (I think) considered constructive posters are afflicted with the same curse of quite literally not being able to "drop it".. looking at you @dvcochran, @gpseymour, @drop bear to name a few.

There's a lot of pigeon holing that goes on around here, and it's bad for business, IMO. Sometimes, I think it would be better if we were all assigned a random username every time we log on, so that the posts were liberated from the reputations of the posters.

Pressure testing ideas?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pressure testing ideas?
I like that one. But is it really that accurate? Pressure testing something and finding it doesn’t hold up after enough attempts usually leads to changing the setup, technique itself, or scrapping it altogether. There’s not very much of that in many of the ideas from some people. I myself can be guilty of it occasionally, so no sitting on a high horse from me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah. I just remember @Tez3 giving you such a hard time for a while for some comment about verbal sparring. Can't remember the full context, though.

It was back in the day when lecturing was the sign of a competent martial artist. And quite simply people were saying any old thing and acting like they were saying the wisdom.

And so I started a thread that was basically. Conversation is sparring not Kata.

In that it is two way and competitive.

And people unsurprisingly lost their minds.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like that one. But is it really that accurate? Pressure testing something and finding it doesn’t hold up after enough attempts usually leads to changing the setup, technique itself, or scrapping it altogether. There’s not very much of that in many of the ideas from some people. I myself can be guilty of it occasionally, so no sitting on a high horse from me.

Each argument has a pattern. I have refined some ideas I have had to at least make them make more sense.

And worked out a few cool fallacies people will tend to use.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, this may be a controversial opinion, especially in light of the current state of society, but I need to get it off my chest...

The BJJ gym owner should have every right to exclude anyone he wants for any reason he wants. Why do I feel that way? He’s putting up his own money to run the place. He’s paying taxes. He’s putting his reputation and credibility on the line. As far as I know, he’s not receiving tax money, tax breaks, nor grants.

Let him run things as he sees fit. It’s his risk and no one else’s. He doesn’t owe anyone anything other than his debts. If people don’t like his policies, find another place to train. So long as people aren’t forced to do anything against their free will, live and let live. And live and let die. If his business model is successful, more power to him. If it’s not, it’s his loss and no one else’s. Except maybe the people who bankrolled him if applicable.

Sexist, racist, and any other looked down upon ist, let them run their self funded businesses as they see fit. The public has a choice to support it and to reject it as they see fit.

My father is a small business owner. Since it’s 100% his money and livelihood, the risk and reward is his and his alone. Let the customers decide if they want to support or reject any shenanigans. If he wants to be an auto repair shop that only fixes cars owned and driven by Armenians, then that’s his prerogative. He’ll drive himself out of business or support himself. It’s his money he’s playing with and no one else’s.

For the record, my father doesn’t refuse service to anyone for any stupid reasons. He wouldn’t be running a successful business for 40 years if he wasn’t doing the right thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It was back in the day when lecturing was the sign of a competent martial artist. And quite simply people were saying any old thing and acting like they were saying the wisdom.

And so I started a thread that was basically. Conversation is sparring not Kata.

In that it is two way and competitive.

And people unsurprisingly lost their minds.
That's it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, this may be a controversial opinion, especially in light of the current state of society, but I need to get it off my chest...

The BJJ gym owner should have every right to exclude anyone he wants for any reason he wants. Why do I feel that way? He’s putting up his own money to run the place. He’s paying taxes. He’s putting his reputation and credibility on the line. As far as I know, he’s not receiving tax money, tax breaks, nor grants.

Let him run things as he sees fit. It’s his risk and no one else’s. He doesn’t owe anyone anything other than his debts. If people don’t like his policies, find another place to train. So long as people aren’t forced to do anything against their free will, live and let live. And live and let die. If his business model is successful, more power to him. If it’s not, it’s his loss and no one else’s. Except maybe the people who bankrolled him if applicable.

Sexist, racist, and any other looked down upon ist, let them run their self funded businesses as they see fit. The public has a choice to support it and to reject it as they see fit.

My father is a small business owner. Since it’s 100% his money and livelihood, the risk and reward is his and his alone. Let the customers decide if they want to support or reject any shenanigans. If he wants to be an auto repair shop that only fixes cars owned and driven by Armenians, then that’s his prerogative. He’ll drive himself out of business or support himself. It’s his money he’s playing with and no one else’s.

For the record, my father doesn’t refuse service to anyone for any stupid reasons. He wouldn’t be running a successful business for 40 years if he wasn’t doing the right thing.
That is a dammed refreshing perspective. Thank you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Let me guess. So you never wax kneejerk or argue your point? Pot calling the kettle black. Why you felt this necessary I have no idea but rather unbecoming of you.

That said I would not be opposed to anonymity sometimes. Of course you could always make up a fake screen name like others have done.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Let me guess. So you never wax kneejerk or argue your point? Pot calling the kettle black. Why you felt this necessary I have no idea but rather unbecoming of you.

That said I would not be opposed to anonymity sometimes. Of course you could always make up a fake screen name like others have done.
Sorry, cupcake. I thought it was self apparent I was including myself. Serious question. Are you unable to laugh at yourself? I mean, you’re wound so tight, you’re going to pop.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, cupcake. I thought it was self apparent I was including myself. Serious question. Are you unable to laugh at yourself? I mean, you’re wound so tight, you’re going to pop.
You were the only one that would be apparent to.
Sure I laugh at myself, I am hilarious. I just don't smile very much. I just don't have time to do it all the time. If I think something is funny I laugh. If I don't I will most often say so, like I did.
You have zero clue whether I am 'wound tight' or not, cupcake. I suspect we are used to very different stress levels and workloads.

Between my wife, son and I we have 5 businesses. Things stay pretty hectic.
I am a bit of a half bubble perfectionist though.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You were the only one that would be apparent to.
Sure I laugh at myself, I am hilarious. I just don't smile very much. I just don't have time to do it all the time. If I think something is funny I laugh. If I don't I will most often say so, like I did.
You have zero clue whether I am 'wound tight' or not, cupcake. I suspect we are used to very different stress levels and workloads.

Between my wife, son and I we have 5 businesses. Things stay pretty hectic.
I am a bit of a half bubble perfectionist though.
sorry. I remain unconvinced. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gentle reminder, this is a friendly forum, as a result try to argue the topic, rather than the poster. This topic is already semi-political but martial enough that I've ignored, I'd really rather not have to lock the post or give people points.

Duss D Gnutz

White Belt
Reaction score
So seen this on Facebook. Apparently this instructor is refusing to teach women students for some reason. I don’t know the guy and don’t know his reasons but thought I’d post it on here and see if anyone knew. Here’s the post I saw.

Kat Hill

I just heard about this yesterday. Looks like he's adopting a modified version of the "Mike Pence Rule" (formerly known as the "Billy Graham Rule").

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just heard about this yesterday. Looks like he's adopting a modified version of the "Mike Pence Rule" (formerly known as the "Billy Graham Rule").
I do not read it to say they are excluding women. I read it to say they are segregating class by sex. But I could be wrong.
I could see where current events and possibly previous complaints received within the specific community may have motivated this action.
Not teaching women and teaching them in male/female groups are two very different things.

Latest Discussions