Addressing an instructor

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it's a title thing. It helps other people and students identify who is who and their position within the school (based on time that they spent in the school or responsibility to the school). Jow Ga titles are all familial; Teacher/father, Teacher's wife, eldest brother, brothers/brother and younger brother/sister.

Hearing the title made it easy to know who we had to be more formal with in terms of Chinese culture. Certain people we are "allowed to talk to as friends" other people we have to talk to as "elders." Culturally this rubs against my grain because I'm naturally a friendly person which fits more into American Culture where I'm often friends or friendly with people who would be considered as my elder.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I (like most of the instructors at my gym) go by my first name. I've had students address me as coach, sir, or even sensei. I think that has more to do with their background and what they're comfortable with. I have been called professor (Portuguese for teacher), but that's usually someone from a different school (such as a Brazilian instructor).

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When i studied shotokan the head instructor is shihan the other are Sensie senpai

When i studied American Kenpo karate i call my instructor GM sifu and others are just sifu even younger than u and their instructor they are call sifu thats call respect

I think in taekwondo is sir maam or master

Latest Discussions