Ninjutsu vs Bjj (NAGA rules)

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by Hanzou, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hanzou

Hanzou Senior Master

I didn't say that, you did. You're the one who said them fighting like a kickboxer is the abandoning of technique.

None of that looks any different than western wrestling or boxing except that last foot stomp to the head.

Muay Thai incorporates western boxing. One of the top MT fighters in history was also an Olympic boxer.

But anyway we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, feel free to have the last word on this.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Citation needed. With the exception of Catch (which had mostly died out in the West and had moved to Japan), all of those were doing very well worldwide.

3. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Judo certainly still seemed strong. If nothing else, Olympic competition puts it back in folks' minds every so often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hanzou

Hanzou Senior Master

Worldwide sure, but in the states not so much.

5. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Not necessarily from a spectator point of view.

6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

my new phrase

7. FriedRice

FriedRice Master Black Belt

Nope, it's not a better uppercut....it's just another technique to uppercut.

This is just "dirty Boxing". It's not that Boxers don't know how to do this, it's just illegal in Boxing. But this is perfectly legal in Muay Thai and MMA, and is also used but why not ALL the time if you think it's so superior over a Boxing uppercut? Once again, potentially millions of $$$$$$$ can be on the line in a UFC fight so they'd use it all the time if it was that awesome.

There are risks & rewards to everything in fighting. This uppercut you're showing, based on this video, is:

1. Risking your main point of defense, which is the other hand guarding the head, to sloppily clinch the head for more power into the uppercut.

2. The other point of defense is to keep the chin tucked, and he ain't even doing that.

3. The counter to this would be.....and this happens a lot in Muay Thai but with better techniques...it's called the "crash clinch" where you protect your own head w/1 guard and quickly slide/hop in for a 1/2 clinch, then you can elbow, uppercut, but better to knee and/or elbow......If my head gets pulled down & held down like this, then I really suck as a MT fighter....but I would immediately protect my face with my left hand as I'm expecting a knee to my face, which is much worse than this loopy uppercut.....and immediately throw an overhand right that's looping in like a haymaker to his temple as his left hand is down. I could get hurt or he could get hurt = risks & rewards. He's in better control/position, but this head grabbing/clinching move rarely works on 2 fresh fighters starting out in round 1....you don't just let someone half clinch you like this.

4. This is a low level, smoker fight and they're both tired....so it's understandable that this 1/2 clinch can be easily pulled off. But it doesn't prove at all that this is a better uppercut. It's almost like saying a Superman-punch is the best straight cross variation. Or the overhand right is better than both. They're all situational, but Superman-punches and throwing an uppercut this way, should be used sparingly as surprise moves and not replacing the fundamentals of a well executed, Western Boxing uppercut that's preferred by MMA fighters of the highest levels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I'm pretty ignorant of the finer points of boxing rules. What's illegal about it?

9. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Can't hold the head and hit.

10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Thanks. I thought that might be it, but really didn't know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TMA17

TMA17 Black Belt

From what I am told, Judo is still very popular worldwide as is wrestling. BJJ is probably the fastest growing in the U.S.

• Like Like x 1