Live blogging from CA States Today

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No PA announcement was made but it looks like 14+ black belt matches have officially been reduced to 2 rounds of 1 minute where a few minutes ago there were 3 of 90 seconds.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering that they just called 40-80 I am pretty sure we have a few more hours. Oh and I just noticed the software is taking points away for kyongos instead of awarding points to the opponent.

WOW a Sunday and the tournament is going to end atmidnight it sounds like.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Allen who?

I just discovered that at least 1 ring is still doing 3x90 while at least 2 others are doing 2x60. Seems everyone is just doing their own thing.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of him. Sorry.

My battery is going to die soon so this is my last post for the night. I believe there are still a few hours left in this one. We still have 1 Jr that has not had her first fight and no seniors have even been called to holding yet.

1010 PM local time.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so 2:10AM and I just got home. We actually left the venue at 11:45 but we had to drop Sam off at her place and then her boyfriend off at his place, otherwise the wife and I would have been home about an hour earlier.

So at 10:45 2 announcement were made:

1) All remaining fights would be reduced to 2 rounds, 90 seconds. Not sure if the 2 rings that were already doing 2 rounds of 60 seconds increased their round length to 90 at this point. I doubt it.

2) Free pizza for anyone still in the building, and there were lots of people still in the building.

OK so now onto the bizarre ending and I am not sure how this is going to reflect on divisions at nationals.

Sam finally fought her first fight at 11:30. There were 7 girls that were in the bracket and to my knowledge all were still present and suited up to fight. I saw 4 of them for sure and I am pretty sure the other 3 were there close by. So Sam fought and lost, 3-1 to Madison Motoyasu while 2 others in the same division were fighting in a different ring. At the end of Sam's fight, the referee declared the division complete and gave Madi gold for winning in what was the quarter finals and Sam silver for losing in the quarter finals. As for the other 5 girls in the division, I have no idea.

When we left there was still 1 Team-Xer waiting for at least 2 more fights and possibly 3. The rest of Team-X all won gold with the exception of 1 other silver besides Sam. So it was a pretty good day for the team overall.

Hopefully Sam gets a decent night's rest for the remainder of the night as she is taking the ASVAB test tomorrow.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so 2:10AM and I just got home. We actually left the venue at 11:45 but we had to drop Sam off at her place and then her boyfriend off at his place, otherwise the wife and I would have been home about an hour earlier.

So at 10:45 2 announcement were made:

1) All remaining fights would be reduced to 2 rounds, 90 seconds. Not sure if the 2 rings that were already doing 2 rounds of 60 seconds increased their round length to 90 at this point. I doubt it.

2) Free pizza for anyone still in the building, and there were lots of people still in the building.

OK so now onto the bizarre ending and I am not sure how this is going to reflect on divisions at nationals.

Sam finally fought her first fight at 11:30. There were 7 girls that were in the bracket and to my knowledge all were still present and suited up to fight. I saw 4 of them for sure and I am pretty sure the other 3 were there close by. So Sam fought and lost, 3-1 to Madison Motoyasu while 2 others in the same division were fighting in a different ring. At the end of Sam's fight, the referee declared the division complete and gave Madi gold for winning in what was the quarter finals and Sam silver for losing in the quarter finals. As for the other 5 girls in the division, I have no idea.

When we left there was still 1 Team-Xer waiting for at least 2 more fights and possibly 3. The rest of Team-X all won gold with the exception of 1 other silver besides Sam. So it was a pretty good day for the team overall.

Hopefully Sam gets a decent night's rest for the remainder of the night as she is taking the ASVAB test tomorrow.

That has got to be the dumbest **** I have heard giving out medals before the brackets are done...

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That has got to be the dumbest **** I have heard giving out medals before the brackets are done...

More than just that Terry, who won the division? They took the F < 57kg division and split it into at least 2 and maybe more divisions completely.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More than just that Terry, who won the division? They took the F < 57kg division and split it into at least 2 and maybe more divisions completely.

Well they cannot send to 1st place from the same division toNational because it will just mess up the whole ranking system used for matches. How can anybody running a qualifier not know this or did they just not care?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
first off, thank you for the updates. interesting to follow.

Second, Congrats on the teams success.

Third.... HAHAHA what a riot. I cannot believe what a disaster it sounds like. The only positive thing about this is, it sounds like there are still plenty of TKD-ers left. Sometimes when I go to a tournament and see maybe a 100 or so competitors, its disheartning. But to have that many competitors and only have a 1 day SUNDAY event.... disasterous. But I'm sure today someone is sitting around patting each other on the back about what a successful tournament they ran!!!!!

Again, thanks for the info anf congrats..

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well they cannot send to 1st place from the same division toNational because it will just mess up the whole ranking system used for matches. How can anybody running a qualifier not know this or did they just not care?

I think a certain level of panic set in when they realized how late it really was getting and people just were not thinking. What I think happened was the following:

Rings 6-10 all (6M X 6M) all day were used for groups other than 14+ Black Belts. ie groups where everyone automatically qualified. So it really didn't matter if they broke divisions up, while rings 2-5 (8M X 8M) all day were used by the 14+ Black Belts when they started fighting around 6:30 or 7PM.

Around 11 or so, rings 6-10 were finished so they started having some of the 14+ Black Belts fight in those rings. And those refs had been playing by a different set of qualification rules all day and it didn't occur to them that when the 14+ Black Belts moved over, there was more at stake.

So I have no idea what they are going to do with multiple 1st place finishers in Sam's division or any other divisions that were conducted in the same way. I also have no idea if Sam's loss in a quarterfinal match (round of 8) will actually qualify her for World Class at Nationals since she has a silver medal and a certificate saying she finished 2nd.

We will see how USAT chooses to deal with it.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We will see how USAT chooses to deal with it.

Its a win win for them... having more people qualify just means more people MAY attend nationals...

simple math... you just doubled your odds of more competitors attending.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

sure you can.... they do it for each state. just because you are 1st from Cali and 1st from Texas doesnt matter, so why should 1st from cali and 1st from Cali, when "ANYSTATE" USA never shows up? Ina perfect world you would have 50 1st Place winners for each division there, but only 20 or so show up..... so what you have a few double states.... just means more $$$$$$.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing they were doing at this year’s states was to let each person know that qualified at regional’s is that if they already had a spot that they would forfeit that spot if they fought at states in the same weight division. You had to move up or down but could not fight in the same weight. They stated a couple time to a fighter and his coach in one of the divisions I was coaching in. Saw a few people decide not to fight after hearing that.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Cory was called @1120. His 1st bowed out. His semifinal opp walked up and said see ya cause he qualified by making it to semis.he then bowed out to his friend because he had already qualified in san diego as a featherweight and this was lightweight.
So that means he registered, paid his entry fee, made weight and had to change to higher class , stay in hotel, spent all day there and never got to fight.
Now is qualified as feather and light.....
Allen won all 3 matches and is new 1q yr old state champ!

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Cory was called @1120. His 1st bowed out. His semifinal opp walked up and said see ya cause he qualified by making it to semis.he then bowed out to his friend because he had already qualified in san diego as a featherweight and this was lightweight.
So that means he registered, paid his entry fee, made weight and had to change to higher class , stay in hotel, spent all day there and never got to fight.
Now is qualified as feather and light.....
Allen won all 3 matches and is new 1q yr old state champ!

Help me out guys, I am kind of confused on why you would want to qualify for two different divisions. Isn't this some what unfair to the other competitors. Can you even fight at both divisions at nationals?

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Help me out guys, I am kind of confused on why you would want to qualify for two different divisions. Isn't this some what unfair to the other competitors. Can you even fight at both divisions at nationals?

Qualifying in multiple divisions gives you flexibility when Nationals does come around. You cannot fight in multiple divisions but before the registration deadline you can choose which of the divisions that you want to fight in in which you qualified. Naturally you would pick the division that you feel you would have the best chance of winning in based on who and or how many are in each of the divisions that you did qualify for.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Qualifying in multiple divisions gives you flexibility when Nationals does come around. You cannot fight in multiple divisions but before the registration deadline you can choose which of the divisions that you want to fight in in which you qualified. Naturally you would pick the division that you feel you would have the best chance of winning in based on who and or how many are in each of the divisions that you did qualify for.

Okay, I understand picking the division that you feel you have the best chance of winning. But do you actually know who and how many are in a division before registering. Is it that competivtive that DOJO's hire scouts to check up on the competition.

Latest Discussions