Live blogging from CA States Today

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I will post comments here throughout the day from CA States. If you are there as well, feel free to post your comments to this thread as well, throughout the day.

Since I am still at home for now, I will start with my expectations. There are WAY more competitors than they ever anticipated and it will be twice as large as some in previous years. Over 1100.

The gym (Cal State Dominguez Hills) is good sized but in order to have 8 or 10 rings, only about 1/2 of the available seating can be used. The place is going to be jam packed!

Weigh ins were originally scheduled for 1PM-5PM yesterday. Because of the number of competitors they changed the start time to 11AM. Well that still wasn't enough time. I understand weigh-ins finally finished sometime between 11PM-Midnight.

When asked directly "I heard there are over 1,000 competitors for the California State Qualifiers, CONGRATULATIONS CUTA! :) I'm assuming due to the size and day of the venue, there will be a change in match lengths etc. How many rounds and how long will each round be for the junior color belt and black belt divisions?" a couple days ago, the answer was "black belts 14yrs+ three 1 minute and a half (90sec) with 30 sec rest. color belts & black belts 13yrs and under two 1 min 30 sec rest."

If they stick to that, than this event will go well into the wee hours of the morning. I really don't see how they can pull that off. Unfortunately what this usually means is that those who fight first (usually young children color belts and those that were uncontested and given "exhibition matches") will probably get full length fights and as the day turns into night and we start getting into the the 14+ black belts organizers will start feeling the pressure to wrap things up leaving the 14+ black belts with 2 rounds of 45-60 seconds with 15 seconds rest.

Bottom line is I am really not expecting a very pleasant day. This way I won't be disappointed when I get a bad experience. By the same token, if they pull it off and make it a great experience than I will be happy with the nice surprise.

Oh, I don't know when or if brackets will be posted but according to thecuta twitter account, they will be posted on the website some time today.

Poomse is supposed to start at 9AM with sparring immediately to follow. I will leave my house somewhere between 9AM-10AM and stopping for lunch along the way I expect to arrive at the venue around noon-1PM. It would be my first nice surprise to see poomse finished by 1PM but I am just thinking 3PM is a more realistic end time for poomse.

Stay tuned to this thread for updates throughout the day from me and anyone else who is there and wants to contribute to this live thread.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So we just arrived and as expected the place is jammed from wall to wall. Still no brackets posted inside or on the website. Team X has taken up a nice position under a tree outside where we will hang out for a few hours.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They just pulled out another set of bleachers. Not sure what took so long but now every can sit inside and watch.

Poomse seems to be winding down and several of the 9 rings have little ones standing by waiting to begin sparring.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brackets have been posted and Sam has 7 in her division. 8 rings aresparring now and 1 is doing poomse so things seem to be moving right along.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just love hearing "all referees stop your matches until all the walkways are clear" and of course nobody moves because they don't think the comments are directed at them.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just stumbled into a side room off of the main gym floor. Here I found a 10th ring setup and poomse competition going on.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Less than 5 minutes ago all fights were stopped for the third time to clear the walkways. They were clear for about 5 minutes but are now more blocked than they have been all day. Waiting now for the fire marshall to kick everyone out. That oughta be a hoot.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any LaJust in play today, or is it all corner judges?

Sounds like a long evening in the making. Hope you've got good air flow there. Lots of bodies can make for a hot, stuffy time.

Carl

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No lajust crap here. They just called for 10-11 year holds to report to holding.

Ventilation is decent and it is a relatively cool day.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that color belts or Black Belts? Is this a USAT sanction event if so why are they not using Lajust, thought it had to be at all qualifiers?

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I was at subway they called 14-17 black belts matches 1-40. They also started sparring in the hidden room so all 10 rings are now sparring.

As for lajust. Well USAT did tell CUTA that they had to use it but CUTA somehow convinced them that they could not get enough so USAT allowed the event to proceed with ringmaster only.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I was at subway they called 14-17 black belts matches 1-40. They also started sparring in the hidden room so all 10 rings are now sparring.

As for lajust. Well USAT did tell CUTA that they had to use it but CUTA somehow convinced them that they could not get enough so USAT allowed the event to proceed with ringmaster only.

So you might beout by midnight and if this is also a qualifier which states are now, I do not understand how the rule was broken and people can still qualify? But than again USAT can do whatever because they have no one to answer to.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Team-X just had our first fight of the day. 25-0. Not a bad start.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well team x is 4 & 0 now. Funny thing is rings are emptying out and they still have not called beyond match 40

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok what time do you think they will be done?

Considering that they just called 40-80 I am pretty sure we have a few more hours. Oh and I just noticed the software is taking points away for kyongos instead of awarding points to the opponent.

Latest Discussions