New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The quote Earl Weiss cherry picked has the headline: Mass (zilyang). General Choi did lots of writings on physics by simply quoting or paraphrasing someone else, including Newton.

The reference I gave were parameters for the actual punching entitled "common principles".
Sir, if you think there is a difference between the "Twist" and "Jerk' so be it Please explain what you think he meant by "Jerk" .

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

The fact that he could remember events and dates long ago is not in anyway incompatible with being senile, as Weiss suggested.
Sir, I never said any such thing bout his recall of events and dates long ago. It was his detailed recollection of items in the text.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The quote Earl Weiss cherry picked has the headline: Mass (zilyang). General Choi did lots of writings on physics by simply quoting or paraphrasing someone else, including Newton.

Sir, I see you... pull snippets from internet posts and have semantic issues with "Jerk' and "Twist" but when I pull something from the text to refute a claim that hip twist was eliminated when SW was introduced coupled with over 150 classroom hours with the author I am cherry picking. OK - got it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would prefer the term straight-shooter. To single out rank in all of this is morally abhorrent. .
Sir, was it morally abhorrent when you claimed to quote some authority that should prevail over what I said because he outranked me?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, I see you... pull snippets from internet posts and have semantic issues with "Jerk' and "Twist" but when I pull something from the text to refute a claim that hip twist was eliminated when SW was introduced coupled with over 150 classroom hours with the author I am cherry picking. OK - got it.

Mr Weiss, sir, your quote was not pertaining to the context discussed. You know full well what the principles of punching read prior to the inclusion of knee spring, and that they were the same as for Shotokan Karate.

I don't think it's hard to speculate what he meant by jerking the hip and abdomen for any experienced martial artist. A sudden tensing/crunching of the stomach prior to delivering a strike is a well known resource used to generate kinetic energy, regardless of whether the hip twists or not.

The definition for the verb jerk is: "a quick, sharp, sudden movement".

As you know, there are at least two ways we punch in TaeKwonDo classes, and we are debating the way done in the tuls, as referenced in the encyclopedias section Principles Of Punching. It is very evident that it does not reference the way we punch on mitts, since there is no mention of guard, set-ups, sparring tactics, etc.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, was it morally abhorrent when you claimed to quote some authority that should prevail over what I said because he outranked me?

Not at all, but to take exception with the way I'm addressing you simply because you are a GM is morally abhorrent, and backfires on the person preaching morality.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
coupled with over 150 classroom hours with the author I am cherry picking. OK - got it.

General Choi emphasizing hip twist is in and of itself uncontroversial. If he emphasized it as it relates to Sine Wave and punching, it is however a problem. A problem for the students trying to make sense of his mechanics, where he clearly does not want his students to twist their body when punching, and does not twist himself in his own exhibits

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For those who believe Mr Weiss over me

Here's is a pattern delivery approved by General Choi himself.

Zero hip twist punching...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General Choi emphasizing hip twist is in and of itself uncontroversial. If he emphasized it as it relates to Sine Wave and punching, it is however a problem. A problem for the students trying to make sense of his mechanics, where he clearly does not want his students to twist their body when punching, and does not twist himself in his own exhibits
Even in his quick, casual demonstration in the video you posted, there is hip twist.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not zero, to my eyes.

Not only is it void of hip twist, it lacks any power output whatsoever. General Choi naturally eats it up since the Karate fundamentals have been eradicated. His mission has been accomplished.

My next book should be titled: Sine Wave; the killing of the hip twist. A tale of Karate extinction.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not zero, to my eyes.

Close to zero. He had a slip up once, in the third sequence, and almost threw a reasonable punch. And another slip up close to the end.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even in his quick, casual demonstration in the video you posted, there is hip twist.

Low high low. that's it.

I guess the originator forgot the part where you twist the hips.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not only is it void of hip twist, it lacks any power output whatsoever. General Choi naturally eats it up since the Karate fundamentals have been eradicated. His mission has been accomplished.

My next book should be titled: Sine Wave; the killing of the hip twist. A tale of Karate extinction.

So what was the title of your last book? ;-)

And what's your age and for how long have you been learning Taekwon-Do?

With your inability to discuss topics properly, listen to and understand what others are saying, failure to properly analyze movements in videos - sorry for being rude, but those are things you need to work on - you at least got one Choi Hong Hi's intentions right. His mission was to make Taekwon-Do a purely Korean art and eradicate traces of Karate. And he wanted his Taekwondo-Do to be different from the KTA's (and then later Kukkiwon) Taekwondo. So that everyone could easily distinguish 'both' versions of Taekwondo and point out which one is real and which ones are the 'imitators'.

Eradicating traces of Karate influence has been the same for other branches of Taekwondo though.

And for Choi the sine-wave movements was the last big step after creating an own set of forms, creating and improving an own uniform design, as well as changing the Terminology from Sino-Korean to pure Korean. One step to distinguish Choi's Taekwon-Do from Karate was reducing the hip twist. Excessive hip twist is Karate. According to Choi, Taekwon-Do needs only a minimal hip twist, as he would call it 'jerk'.

Is the hip twist absent in the video of Choi Hong Hi explaining the correct sinewave motion?
Yes!

Is this a perfect demonstration of how to perform techniques or how to move when performing a Teul?
No!

His intention in that short clip is pointing out the basic principles of the sinewave motion, nothing more. What else do you wanna see in this clip? That his punches aren't powerful? That there's no proper focus in his techniques?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not consistently it isn't.
I think I recall that you have 4 years of instruction in TKD. Assuming your schedule was like most (2-5 hours/week) during that time, it's unsurprising you don't see the hip twist. It's not much, but it's there. Subtleties are hard to learn to see.

Latest Discussions