Need your input : What is 1 thing you are afraid & one thing you love as a Student of martial arts?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Son, I'm not starting a fight with you. I'm pointing out the issues with the list you gave, as well as pointing out that you were inventing your own questions, then getting upset by them.
Chris, just calling someone "son" is starting a fight with them. You only do it when you're starting a fight, and you know it.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Afraid of not getting to the point where I would feel reasonably competent at my art (yeah I know....shut up and train......)

Love: challenging myself and the rare moment when I do feel that I have actually improved.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris, just calling someone "son" is starting a fight with them. You only do it when you're starting a fight, and you know it.

No, Steve, I have tried to explain this to you before, but, as with many other things, it simply didn't take… as you cannot see past your own preconceived notions, here or elsewhere. For the record, I use the term as what's referred to as a "stop phrase", or a pattern interrupt, in order to emphasise a point that hasn't made it through, and instead is being resisted with nothing but a stubborn denial… in other words, when someone's acting like a child refusing to listen. It also has the added emphasis of implying (outright stating, in most cases) that my experience and knowledge is somewhat further along than that of the person I'm dealing with.

Good Day Mr. Parker;
i have sent you a PM Sir.

I've received it, but I've been offline for the last few days. I'm going to respond to you there, but I will say publicly that I appreciate the way you have expressed yourself there. Thank you for that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, Steve, I have tried to explain this to you before, but, as with many other things, it simply didn't take… as you cannot see past your own preconceived notions, here or elsewhere. For the record, I use the term as what's referred to as a "stop phrase", or a pattern interrupt, in order to emphasise a point that hasn't made it through, and instead is being resisted with nothing but a stubborn denial… in other words, when someone's acting like a child refusing to listen. It also has the added emphasis of implying (outright stating, in most cases) that my experience and knowledge is somewhat further along than that of the person I'm dealing with.

I've received it, but I've been offline for the last few days. I'm going to respond to you there, but I will say publicly that I appreciate the way you have expressed yourself there. Thank you for that.
if you are using the word with one intent, but it consistently results in an unintended reaction, I'd say you are the one in stubborn denial. Regardless of your intent, it is commonly perceived as what is called a diminutive, it is insulting and usually fans the flames of whatever new poster you've targeted as a victim of your bullying, making things worse. I've shared that with you in the past, but as with many things, it just didn't take, as you cannot see past your preconceived notions. For the record.

When you use intentional diminutives, such as boy, son, or kiddo, it's unlikely that the target hears anything else. Call a women "chick" and see if she hears anything else.

Unless it is intended to be insulting, which, if that's the case, is a violation of the tos not to mention very rude.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't care if I'm called, boy, kiddo, old fart or anything else. But "son"....there have only been two people who have ever lived who have the right to call me son.

Although not directed at me in any way, shape or form, I agree with Steve. I think the term can only cause trouble, intentional or not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just done a bit of reading up on the use of 'boy', it seems it has a different connotations for Americans than it does to non Americans. For Americans it seems to have racist overtones which it doesn't elsewhere. We will quite often use the word boy as in 'you alright boy?' depends where you come from in the country, in the South West you are more likely to be called 'my lover' by everyone, male to male as well, or 'my ansome' I can imagine there are places in the US that a male wouldn't use those expressions to another male lol.

IceStorm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah south west here, so none of them are uncommon, i personally would take no offence to it and the better i know someone the more abuse we throw at each other
But i'm a gamer we are not known for our civil language in online gaming lol

so to the OP if he happens to return

Afraid: getting hurt
Love: health impact and shiney weapons :rolleyes:

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But i'm a gamer we are not known for our civil language in online gaming lol
what game are you currently into? and you're admitting :) your a troll? at least that's what we call "Gamers" like that.

IceStorm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wide range of games, used to be competitive like counter strike, now I play co-op slower games, currently killing floor 2 , Star Citizen, Ark and shortly moving to The Division
Troll is more doing it for the sake of annoying others for your own fun to cause arguments

However its normal to scream profanities when you die, especially in competitive or games where you lose everything when you die, not aimed at anyone just the usual frustration, troll in games is not really heard of anymore, it's more greifing, trolling is on forums
Most gamers will shout and curse while playing regardless if anyone can hear them, that's what I mean, we tend to be calmer IRL as you get your stress out while playing. Bad Language is then what use and hear all the time from others and yourself while gaming so verbal abuse means little IRL, threatening behaviour on the other hand we never see so that would get to me more than it does most on here
That's the life of spending all day everyday online shelters from outside world but you are used to it on a screen or hearing it means nothing

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wide range of games, used to be competitive like counter strike, now I play co-op slower games, currently killing floor 2 , Star Citizen, Ark and shortly moving to The Division
Troll is more doing it for the sake of annoying others for your own fun to cause arguments

However its normal to scream profanities when you die, especially in competitive or games where you lose everything when you die, not aimed at anyone just the usual frustration, troll in games is not really heard of anymore, it's more greifing, trolling is on forums
Most gamers will shout and curse while playing regardless if anyone can hear them, that's what I mean, we tend to be calmer IRL as you get your stress out while playing. Bad Language is then what use and hear all the time from others and yourself while gaming so verbal abuse means little IRL, threatening behaviour on the other hand we never see so that would get to me more than it does most on here
That's the life of spending all day everyday online shelters from outside world but you are used to it on a screen or hearing it means nothing

you haven't played CSGO or L4D2 lately then, i think there are more trolls playing L4D2 than any other i have seen or heard of and the game is OLD and still there are new players every day trolling and there are just as many "griefers" (grievers). i am also a gamer but have as of late just been playing CSGO and L4D2, i just couldn't see spending money on any more online games that are so easily hacked so i started playing around in Hammer Editor to make a few levels of my own, 2 of which are in the Steam workshop, seems all i can do after a days work is sit and bush buttons.;) i am also part of an online community that specifically endorses a sanctuary for fair play and no foul/racist language but i am a trooper when i play off server and in L4D2. :cool:
its always nice to meet a fellow gamer, and in the most inconspicuous places. who would have thought :joyful:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My working life was full of abuse lol, swearing was the usual way of talking though I didn't and still don't, physical threats were fairly common too. I tend to forget when I'm somewhere with Guide leaders for example how shocked people get when someone either gets abusive or starts ranting, it's like water off a ducks back to me, though I still tell people to stop swearing if children are around. We sometimes get quite aggressive parents and the poor Guide and Brownie leaders are totally upset for quite a while at having been sworn at and having people in your face, I'm 'yeah, try even think about it sunshine you'll be on your backside quicker than you can blink'. I do forget that it is traumatic to be verbally abused and physically intimidated, which I shouldn't really. :(

IceStorm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I never played csgo, I did play source for about a week, but really I quit when 1.6 came out, l4d2 I did love it only played it within my group, I imagine random games could have been a nightmare, its not the most forgiving co-op game, every death is someone else's fault lol

You should look into killingfloor first one is still cheap plays perfect like cs did pre version 1, has silly amount of content from workshop, kf2 is still too early and just not as clean-cut, community is generally very good

I can't recommend anyother game as you say none have been great for many reasons

Tez basically the same for me, apart from the physical side and face to face, iv spent so much time talking to abusive people and calming them down, verbal or written means nothing to me, most of these people would never act like that face to face but put them behind a phone or keyboard and off they go...

Face to face I never see it so I'm sure if someone I did not know was physically abusive\intimidating I would be "shocked"
Can only think of a few times since I left school and generally I recognise it coming and talk them down or get myself and others out the way
Iv been good the last year as I'm living with kids now so never sware they pick everything up, I'm not going to be the one teaching them, just last night the 4yo learnt a new word so now she can't stop saying "****"

the games I generally play most parents would not let their kids play, tho there is no warning on The Division and its pretty bad from what played in the beta, the forums are 70% trolls bored people waiting on the games release, community could be iffy

Star Citizen is a game designed to have trolls, greifers and spammers, at least I assume it will, but iv never been one for playing that side, but without the greifers those games get stale, EvE with no pirates or corp thieving would be boring, says the carebear lol

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What I would be most afraid of is to have an accident or other issue that would nullify all my years of hard work, and fitness training, I am to afraid of pain as with a v high genetic pain threshold this I can manage.
The famous words of Adriano Directo Emperado were " make pain your friend".
What I endorse most is a training in humility, body fitness and respect for life and in the last possible scenario to know I may have an ability to fend off a dangerous situation , life can be dangerous in certain places.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
correction above should read "I am not afraid of pain" not " to afraid of pain" Thanks

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is 1 thing you are afraid?

Situation 1: Your MA training doesn't work.

- Someone attacks you on the street.
- You throw the most powerful punch from your training.
- After you fist have met with his face, he is still standing, smiles at you, pulls out a knife, and stabs into your chest.

Situation 2: Your MA training works too well.

- Someone attacks you on the street.
- You don't remember what you have done, he drops dead right in front of you.
- You spend the rest of your life in prison.

in_prison.jpg
i agree position no2 that is a reality and scary.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Number 1 fear: Unrecoverable injury. Becoming crippled.

Number 1 love: Self awareness.

Emilee <3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
Doing research about martial arts. Any past ,present , or future student of any martial arts system can participate.

Thank You

I'm definitely afraid of injuries resulting from taekwondo or other injuries that prevent me from training, and one thing I love is the endless well of knowledge that I could eventually attain / my master and instructors and the family like atmosphere they create in the dojang (okay that's two things, but. . .)

TheThirdAncestor

White Belt
Reaction score
My fears stem around leading/teaching a form or technique to a new student(s); only a year "under my belt" so I still have a feeling of being "green" and don't want to misinform/improperly instruct another person when there are more advanced students about. At the same time, I understand that the advanced students are looking to progress further and learn new things and having to train new students can be difficult.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've just done a bit of reading up on the use of 'boy', it seems it has a different connotations for Americans than it does to non Americans. For Americans it seems to have racist overtones which it doesn't elsewhere. We will quite often use the word boy as in 'you alright boy?' depends where you come from in the country, in the South West you are more likely to be called 'my lover' by everyone, male to male as well, or 'my ansome' I can imagine there are places in the US that a male wouldn't use those expressions to another male lol.

Famously done by bert newton to absolutely the wrong guy.

Latest Discussions