Need your input : What is 1 thing you are afraid & one thing you love as a Student of martial arts?

Ogata

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
Doing research about martial arts. Any past ,present , or future student of any martial arts system can participate.

Thank You

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Do you want to introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm afraid there may come a time I will not be able to do the arts I love because of illness or disability. I love the friends I have made in he arts and I love the fact that there is always something more to learn as I evolve as a person and a martial artiest

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting hurt! Dont want to get hurt
What do I like? Easier question would be, whats not to like... for me I like the various forms, techniques, styles, weapons, history, especially when that weapon is SHINY! Well they dont need to be shiny, thats irrelevant but in my opinion... shiny looks more prefferable :)

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think my biggest fear - although it's happened several times, as expected - is getting hurt.. never fun..
also, being hurt means you can't train and if I can't be in the dojang - I am nothing but mad..

One thing - of many - that I love about TKD is always learning new things - it never ends!!! :)

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm afraid of wasting my teacher's and classmates' time when I don't get what they are teaching or practicing with me. I'm not that afraid of getting hurt, not because I have not gotten hurt before (I have, on a few occasions) but because my getting hurt stemmed almost entirely from my own stupidity.

The thing I love most is the feeling of doing my forms, my chosen MA is infamously done slowly and gently but that results in a kind of flow and sensation of body awareness that is wonderful to experience.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hard to say one thing in each category, but will try as an older newbie in Martial Arts.

Fears? Failing at - I guess in the fundamental skills and abilities of self defense.

Love ? That it may help slow aging declines in mental and physical abilities . Basically will help keep my mind, body, and sprit as sharp as possible.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't been afraid of anything since elementary school.
I love training with, hanging around with, folks who have the same odd interests as me.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't been afraid of anything since elementary school.
I love training with, hanging around with, folks who have the same odd interests as me.
I would hope you would, at least, show some serious respect for train crossings and traffic lights. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is 1 thing you are afraid?

Situation 1: Your MA training doesn't work.

- Someone attacks you on the street.
- You throw the most powerful punch from your training.
- After you fist have met with his face, he is still standing, smiles at you, pulls out a knife, and stabs into your chest.

Situation 2: Your MA training works too well.

- Someone attacks you on the street.
- You don't remember what you have done, he drops dead right in front of you.
- You spend the rest of your life in prison.

in_prison.jpg

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fears are not related to martial arts. They are stupid things such as fear of getting food poisoning from unfamiliar restaurants and food in general. I hate traveling to unfamiliar places and fear choking and allergic reactions to unfamiliar foods.

I avoid all seafood and nuts and tropical fruit because I don't want to "chance it".

I love martial arts because I enjoy challenging myself to become stronger. I in general have a lot of fun with it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only one post from the OP and nothing in the months since, a thank you would have been nice to those who have spent time answering for the OP's research. Such interesting answers deserved a thank you at least

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well, i personally cant say im afraid of anything in the Martial Arts, with the exception of pooping myself during a class. yes this is a serious answer, i have a medical condition.
the "What i hate about the Martial Arts" is a long and unfortunate list.

1.) The Politics of the History of the Martial Arts.
2.) The Red Tape involved when you get caught in the middle of it.
3.) When your Instructor has some thing against you or does not want to teach you.
4.) When your accused of trying to intentionally hurt your fellow students.
5.) When your told you're no longer welcome and your fellow student agree.
6.) When you know more (about the system your training in) than your Instructor does.
7.) When your highest ranking student stabs you in the back and thinks your trying to get some thing from him.
8.) well im sick of typing this crap out and the memories are putting me in a bad mood.

I'm not sure why you would want to know this kind of information and i hope its not for you to justify in your mind something that has happened to you that you feel you were wronged. if that makes sense.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, i personally cant say im afraid of anything in the Martial Arts, with the exception of pooping myself during a class. yes this is a serious answer, i have a medical condition.

3.) When your Instructor has some thing against you or does not want to teach you.
6.) When you know more (about the system your training in) than your Instructor does.
7.) When your highest ranking student stabs you in the back and thinks your trying to get some thing from him.
8.) well im sick of typing this crap out and the memories are putting me in a bad mood.

I'm not sure why you would want to know this kind of information and i hope its not for you to justify in your mind something that has happened to you that you feel you were wronged. if that makes sense.

Er… what?

Seriously, what are you going on about here? There was no question asking what you hate (you asked that yourself), so querying anothers motive in asking something they didn't ask is a bit… uh… off. Secondly, from your list, it frankly sounds like the major issue has been you… whether simply in your head, or a more realistic set of reactions to your behaviours, you have in your list instructors who don't want to teach you, schools and students who want you to leave, concerns about your control, and the belief that you know more about your art than your teachers… yeah… if this is even half right, I'd probably ask you to leave as well… and bluntly, I can pretty much guarantee that you don't know half as much as you think you do about your system.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wtf?

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Er… what?

Seriously, what are you going on about here? There was no question asking what you hate (you asked that yourself), so querying anothers motive in asking something they didn't ask is a bit… uh… off. Secondly, from your list, it frankly sounds like the major issue has been you… whether simply in your head, or a more realistic set of reactions to your behaviours, you have in your list instructors who don't want to teach you, schools and students who want you to leave, concerns about your control, and the belief that you know more about your art than your teachers… yeah… if this is even half right, I'd probably ask you to leave as well… and bluntly, I can pretty much guarantee that you don't know half as much as you think you do about your system.

the initial post:
Hello everybody!
Doing research about martial arts. Any past ,present , or future student of any martial arts system can participate.

Thank You
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if i read that correctly, my response is valid and also "MY" opinion on "MY" history in "MY" experience of the MAs to Ogatas post.

With all due respect sir, and i do value and respect your opinion if i ask for it, you do not know me and more importantly you do not know my history, the fact that other instructor in that particular system know more than i, is moot since that is not what i stated. your assumptions in your post are just that and makes no difference to me either way. If Ogata does not know what i meant in my post he is certainly welcome to ask me, and not to start a flame war here but if you have anything to ask me, why not ask privately and not publicly air your opinion of me when you have no idea who i am or what i have been through. i read into some thing Ogata said, replied to Ogata, and if Ogata wishes to question me then he is more than welcome to.
again if you wish to know more, i will be more that happy to explain to you as well.

Latest Discussions