Is this a real move? Can you ID it?

james924

White Belt
Reaction score
In the 4th video on this page at about 1 minute 46 seconds there is a stomp/kick to the leg that sends the opponent buckling/flying away. Is this fantasy or is this a real martial arts move? If so, does it have a name or belong to a specific school/style?

Video is viewable here:
Assassin s Creed Unity on Steam

Click on the 4th video.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd call it a low side kick, but I can't imagine it actually causing someone to do a flip. You might knock them down by buckling their leg backward, but it wouldn't look like that.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fourth video? I can see only one, and in that one there is wallclimbing at 1.46...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I couldn't find it, either.

But, welcome aboard, James924. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the 4th video on this page at about 1 minute 46 seconds there is a stomp/kick to the leg that sends the opponent buckling/flying away. Is this fantasy or is this a real martial arts move? If so, does it have a name or belong to a specific school/style?

Video is viewable here:

Click on the 4th video.

I only saw one video on the page, but…

It's a video game. It's all fantasy.

As far as a low kick being a specific ("real") martial arts move… uh… that's not really the way things work… some systems might have it, or something similar, but… not really, no.

Thing is, techniques are the least important aspect of a martial art… so you're kinda grabbing the wrong end of this from the beginning.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally speaking, when you attack the front of the legs, the opponent will tend to fall forward; if you attack the back of the leg at the knee, they will tend to collapse in place, and if you sweep the leg from the rear, they will fall backwards.
But again, generally speaking, there are always variables.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Video is viewable here:

Click on the 4th video.

Welcome along. Could view the vid either. Logged into Steam to view as well. Anyway, it is probably just a scripted move to cause critical damage on the modifier. Played the original game, but one the game engine was massively improved. Probably the kick is probably just something from that process.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can see the additional videos by clicking on the little mini-screens with the "play" (|> ) icon directly beneath the main video that auto-plays when you load the page. The one that James is asking about is the 4th one over out of 5.

The move in question is just a low side kick to the knee, doubtless motion captured from a stuntperson's performance. As Blindside mentioned, the victim's reaction is all wrong. The person being kicked would not flip over like that.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see the additional videos by clicking on the little mini-screens with the "play" (|> ) icon directly beneath the main video that auto-plays when you load the page. The one that James is asking about is the 4th one over out of 5.

The move in question is just a low side kick to the knee, doubtless motion captured from a stuntperson's performance. As Blindside mentioned, the victim's reaction is all wrong. The person being kicked would not flip over like that.

Yeah, only one was showing for me. Only got a image. Could be a regional thing, but on Steam though. Anyway ragdoll physics are often slightly over the top. The Force Unleashed would be a good example.

Latest Discussions