Martial Arts for Practical Application

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello

I am following up on my question. I am not looking for street fight but I want to learn how to street fight. Just because I know how to street fight doesn't mean I will go do it. For example take this open mat that the Gracie's did long time ago
. This fight doesn't look anything like a mma, kick boxing, boxing, or any other kind of fight you see on TV. The people don't hop around on there feet or do any other unrealistic things. The video looks like street fight. Has any one noticed how fighters on TV can fight for 15 to 30 minutes and have unrealistic body shapes. In the video the challenger and opponent are gasping for air after 2 minutes.

Thank you
Kingofjong
It looks different because MMA has gotten better in the last 30 years.

They learned the Von flue choke for example

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello

I am following up on my question. I am not looking for street fight but I want to learn how to street fight. Just because I know how to street fight doesn't mean I will go do it. For example take this open mat that the Gracie's did long time ago
. This fight doesn't look anything like a mma, kick boxing, boxing, or any other kind of fight you see on TV. The people don't hop around on there feet or do any other unrealistic things. The video looks like street fight. Has any one noticed how fighters on TV can fight for 15 to 30 minutes and have unrealistic body shapes. In the video the challenger and opponent are gasping for air after 2 minutes.

Thank you
Kingofjong
So, after all your lists of requirements for a martial art that is effective in all ranges, you use Gracie Jiu-Jitsu as your ideal? And think that this dojo challenge is the equivalent of a street fight?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
‘…work in a street fight…’ is a phrase akin to ‘…chat up lines that work…’

This just might be the best analogy ever when it comes to this.

If you tell a man, "When you walk up to a woman at the bar, here's what you should say..."

Different factors come into play. For example,

1. Some may be receptive to that particular line; others won't. Will the specific woman he's eyeballing be receptive?

2. The pick up line in question has to align with the man's mannerisms. For example, there might be some pickup lines that could work for Screech or Steve Urkel; but they sure as hell aren't the same ones that work for the Rico Suave types.

That said, every untrained (and even trained) attacker is different, and what works on one won't necessarily work on another. Even when you're sparring in the dojo, you have to adjust your strategy when it's time to rotate to a new partner (analogous to point #1).

The OP should also take his body into consideration. Does he have a good reach advantage over the average person? He may want to consider boxing. Is he short and stocky with that low center of gravity? Those guys are a PITA to wrestle, and he should definitely look into that (analogous to point #2).

There's way too many factors to consider.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The talkers. They have questions. They do research. They watch videos. They have a very specific set of requirements.

What they don't have is the ability to get off their half-moons and go train. Any training is better than no training, but as long as they're doing research, it's a great excuse.

After awhile, I lose interest in trying to help. Find a nearby dojo. Sign up. Train.

But they talk instead. And talk. And talk.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just might be the best analogy ever when it comes to this.

If you tell a man, "When you walk up to a woman at the bar, here's what you should say..."

Different factors come into play. For example,

1. Some may be receptive to that particular line; others won't. Will the specific woman he's eyeballing be receptive?

2. The pick up line in question has to align with the man's mannerisms. For example, there might be some pickup lines that could work for Screech or Steve Urkel; but they sure as hell aren't the same ones that work for the Rico Suave types.

That said, every untrained (and even trained) attacker is different, and what works on one won't necessarily work on another. Even when you're sparring in the dojo, you have to adjust your strategy when it's time to rotate to a new partner (analogous to point #1).

The OP should also take his body into consideration. Does he have a good reach advantage over the average person? He may want to consider boxing. Is he short and stocky with that low center of gravity? Those guys are a PITA to wrestle, and he should definitely look into that (analogous to point #2).

There's way too many factors to consider.
Of course, there is one chat up line that always works in the USA. “Prince William? Yes, of course, he’s my 2nd cousin. I’m the Duke of Camelot” 😉🤴🏼

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Practical applications vary. More than a few black-belt level martial artists have been shocked to learn fighting outside of a dojo/ring is a completely different ball game. I remember one karateka losing teeth as a result of crossing the line with a biker at a rock venue. Competition fighting was his forte, yet he was laid out cold on the barroom floor as result of mistaking the value of his skills in a different environment. Most situations can be avoided if you stay switched on and aware of your surroundings. Next time you are at the club, run a poll to see how many members have actually used their skills in reality - if you find somebody there who has dealt with real violence on numerous occasions, ask them for some advice on practical applications and further training. If your club is like the majority then most adults there will not have been involved in real fights, but many will believe they could use their skills to effectively defend themselves.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Next time you are at the club, run a poll to see how many members have actually used their skills in reality...
Personally, I wouldn't bother. I don't believe the majority of the ones claiming they have.

I think of experience as fighting "back on the block" as a foundation that traditional martial arts can build on. But if you don't have that foundation, well... there's that scenario at the bar you're talking about. No matter how long he's trained, he's gonna need experience just like everybody else before he can beat that biker.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
The talkers. They have questions. They do research. They watch videos. They have a very specific set of requirements.

What they don't have is the ability to get off their half-moons and go train. Any training is better than no training, but as long as they're doing research, it's a great excuse.
This is a key response. Stop talking, start training :) Experience is the greatest teacher, but it cost the karateka a set of teeth, a lot of pain and a rather expensive dental bill. We still speak and he regrets his actions that day. Real fights are not like the movies. Nor are they like the Youtube videos would have you believe. Fighting without rules and referees is not something to be encouraged. Stay switched-on and alert, avoid trouble spots and learn when to walk away... it is the smarter move in the long run.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

I think I asked this question in one of my other threads but I am going to expand on it. Is there a martial arts that picks moves that work in a street fight (not sport) from all other martial arts through out human history and combines it into one martial arts. The reason I ask this is because I know there are lot of bs in some martial arts. There are people who make a living by debunking fake martial arts through out the world. I am looking for whole fighting system that includes any situation that can occur in fight. Everything from ground game, standing game, clinch game, controlling, striking and etc.

Thanks
Kingofjong
As near as I can tell most martial arts are influenced heavily by other martial arts. Hapkido for example was developed when Judo and Tae Kwon Do were rising in popularity so you see some crossover there. Jeet Kun Do seems to be an art that happily employs stuff from a host of other systems.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They have questions.
Dear Bill,

I am a male, 170 lbs, 5'10.5" tall, light brown hair, hazel eyes, and am a Leo. I'm looking for a MA ever since I saw Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee made such cool sounds, which I've already mastered). I have practiced the seven-second-death touch at home but can't find anyone who will let me touch them for seven seconds. Here is my problem. One leg is shorter than the other, I don't like to get hit or thrown, nor do I like to sweat. Actually, I hate to work out. There is just one MA school within a hundred miles, and I think it's a McDojo, as you karatee guys call it. What style should I take?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Bill,

I am a male, 170 lbs, 5'10.5" tall, light brown hair, hazel eyes, and am a Leo. I'm looking for a MA ever since I saw Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee made such cool sounds, which I've already mastered). I have practiced the seven-second-death touch at home but can't find anyone who will let me touch them for seven seconds. Here is my problem. One leg is shorter than the other, I don't like to get hit or thrown, nor do I like to sweat. Actually, I hate to work out. There is just one MA school within a hundred miles, and I think it's a McDojo, as you karatee guys call it. What style should I take?
I heard that "kicks get chicks." Does this mean that the guys at the local TKD dojang are hoarding them all, and if I want to stand any chance in hell, I need to sign up too?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Bill,

Dear Isshinryuronin,

Are you willing to practise in a loin cloth and tank top? Baby oil would be optional.

Latest Discussions