Need your input : What is 1 thing you are afraid & one thing you love as a Student of martial arts?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My fears stem around leading/teaching a form or technique to a new student(s); only a year "under my belt" so I still have a feeling of being "green" and don't want to misinform/improperly instruct another person when there are more advanced students about. At the same time, I understand that the advanced students are looking to progress further and learn new things and having to train new students can be difficult.
If you've only been training for a year, and there are more advanced students, you should not be teaching them new forms/techniques. If they're ready to learn, the sensei will teach them, and if s/he doesn't have time, s/he should be asking one of the more advanced students.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've only been training for a year, and there are more advanced students, you should not be teaching them new forms/techniques. If they're ready to learn, the sensei will teach them, and if s/he doesn't have time, s/he should be asking one of the more advanced students.

Not necessarily. We have students of all levels teaching things to those lower ranked. Doing so helps them improve their own understanding. Yes, there will be things that need corrected. So what? There always are.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. We have students of all levels teaching things to those lower ranked. Doing so helps them improve their own understanding. Yes, there will be things that need corrected. So what? There always are.
To me, this depends. It is fine to help the younger ranks when they are having issues or forget something, but I dislike the idea of them teaching new material to the lower ranks, before they have a firm grasp on it themselves. Learning it the first time the wrong way is just asking for them to develop bad habits IMO.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, this depends. It is fine to help the younger ranks when they are having issues or forget something, but I dislike the idea of them teaching new material to the lower ranks, before they have a firm grasp on it themselves. Learning it the first time the wrong way is just asking for them to develop bad habits IMO.

Please, show me one person who learned anything perfectly the first time through. I've never seen it done, or even heard a reliable story of anyone doing so.
If a 9th geup student doesn't have a firm enough grasp on the 10th geup material to teach it at a level suitable for a 10th geup students ability then they shouldn't have been promoted to 9th geup yet.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't care if I'm called, boy, kiddo, old fart or anything else. But "son"....there have only been two people who have ever lived who have the right to call me son.

Although not directed at me in any way, shape or form, I agree with Steve. I think the term can only cause trouble, intentional or not.
I love your posts Buka... And I agree.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What scares me.

Know a guy who got hit so hard he gets vertigo. Know another who broke his leg.

I really do not want to get crippled.

The broken leg i saw. And i can tell you there were some pretty soft leg kicks thtown for a few months after that.

What i love is seeing people face adversity and becoming better people for it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please, show me one person who learned anything perfectly the first time through. I've never seen it done, or even heard a reliable story of anyone doing so.
If a 9th geup student doesn't have a firm enough grasp on the 10th geup material to teach it at a level suitable for a 10th geup students ability then they shouldn't have been promoted to 9th geup yet.
If I am learning something new, I want someone who can teach it well, regardless of whether or not I am a beginner, and regardless of the fact that I won't learn it perfectly. I (and many others) will have questions about it, that someone one geup ahead of me likely won't be able to answer...not because they don't know it well enough to advance, but because they don't know it in full detail and what their concerns were may not be what my concerns were.
Also, presumably a more advanced student has had years of seeing people attempt to learn the different techniques, so they know what mistakes are likely to be made, and how to help the person overcome them. Someone who is fairly new themselves won't have that knowledge, unless they or someone who advanced with them had the same problem (and the same solution to overcome it works for both).

An example of this is with teaching a roundhouse kick. Imagine a 9th geup (I don't know when they teach roundhouse in your system) is teaching how to throw a roundhouse kick to a 10th geup. The 9th geup may not have had issues pivoting while they learned it. Now they are teaching it to a 10th geup, who is not pivoting correctly. The person continues doing it wrongly, believing they are doing it correctly. Alternatively, the 10th geup is being taught by a 4th or 3rd geup how to throw a roundhouse kick. This guy has seen others have the same or similar issues, so they tell the 10th geup how he is pivoting incorrectly. The 10th geup attempts to change it, and whether or not he succeeds, he knows that this is something he needs to focus on before it becomes muscle memory. Similar things with keeping hands up, not winding your fist, and knowing how to balance your body.

TheThirdAncestor

White Belt
Reaction score
I apologize, I didn't mean to start a debate. Dirty Dog and kempodisciple: I believe you both make great points and are both correct but I suppose it comes down to each particular situation.

To give some clarity; after being asked to lead the class in five basic bridges of Wing Chun I said to one of the senior members that I felt like I shouldn't have been put in front of the class. He asked why and I said because I feel like I'm still too new to do so. He waved it off and said that I should be more confident and that everything looked good (he is very observant and watches everyone to make sure they are practicing drills/forms/etc. correctly and has given a great deal of insight in body movement as well as applications of form). He has also placed me with new members before and afterwards talked to me about how teaching is also a learning experience for oneself as you have to break down movement, body/limb placement, stances, etc. especially for those who lack any coordination.

I have been thinking about all of this lately and it's likely this fear stems from insecurities I have, which is something I have to work on. But I believe that being placed with new students is meant to enhance my own learning experience and that my Sifu wouldn't do so if he didn't think I was up to the task or that it would hinder the growth of others.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize, I didn't mean to start a debate. Dirty Dog and kempodisciple: I believe you both make great points and are both correct but I suppose it comes down to each particular situation.

To give some clarity; after being asked to lead the class in five basic bridges of Wing Chun I said to one of the senior members that I felt like I shouldn't have been put in front of the class. He asked why and I said because I feel like I'm still too new to do so. He waved it off and said that I should be more confident and that everything looked good (he is very observant and watches everyone to make sure they are practicing drills/forms/etc. correctly and has given a great deal of insight in body movement as well as applications of form). He has also placed me with new members before and afterwards talked to me about how teaching is also a learning experience for oneself as you have to break down movement, body/limb placement, stances, etc. especially for those who lack any coordination.

I have been thinking about all of this lately and it's likely this fear stems from insecurities I have, which is something I have to work on. But I believe that being placed with new students is meant to enhance my own learning experience and that my Sifu wouldn't do so if he didn't think I was up to the task or that it would hinder the growth of others.
That is a lot better than what I was picturing. There are many places where the senior members do not care about the others, so they do not pay any attention to the junior members, causing them to teach without fully understanding. If it is a learning experience, with supervision, I have no issues with it.

TheThirdAncestor

White Belt
Reaction score
That is a lot better than what I was picturing. There are many places where the senior members do not care about the others, so they do not pay any attention to the junior members, causing them to teach without fully understanding. If it is a learning experience, with supervision, I have no issues with it.

I appreciate your understanding. Currently we have a Wing Chun student visiting from Florida who stated that classes are free form to the extent that most students just have to try and figure out what they are doing. It was surprising to hear but I suppose this is a larger problem in the martial arts world than I thought.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And now i am scared of being lobotomised by a knee.

Slapshot

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, it is kata. Bunkai is so much BS nowadays. So many "Great-Grandmasters" have created kata - or worst, modified them - without having a damn clue of real bunkai !
Like, for example, a teacher says " Turn around because another oponent is coming with a low kick...". No, no and no !!
It's a throw, not a block !!! The great fighters of the past would not have survived with such methods. Therefore it's not that they are not working in the modern world ( well, some really are obsolete...) it's that we dont have the real bunkai. Thank God (or whomever you like) we now have more and more realistic interpretation of kata. I dont know if I can name people in this forum, but I will say that fantastic work is being done the past few years by an european gentleman. After years of research, I know now that karate (REAL karate) is the most effective art on the planet.
So, a very long way of saying I'm afraid of being taught BS.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm afraid of looking like a fool when you forget a form at a tournament and love the sparring of martial arts.

But the number 1 thing I love about martial arts is the fact that it gives me what I call the little kid high.

My definition of the little kid high is the fix that little kids get when you blow their mind by showing them something new which is what martial arts does for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions