My opinion on self defense. I want your opinions!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't get over that gold belt and camo gi combo. It's definitely the sparkliest gold belt I've ever seen. He must have done real good to win that one. :D
David C. K. Lin taught the Sionics, a prestigious Georgia-based Anti-terrorism school back in 1980. The camo SC jacket was used in Sionics Anti-terrorism school. Students in that school also trained gun shooting, wildness survival, ...

The gold color is considered as the highest rank in China. During the ancient China, only Chinese emperors were allowed to dress gold. In American Combat Shuai Chiao Association (ACSCA), it's used as the 6 degree black belt (David C. K. Lin is 9th degree black belt now).

Chinese_emperior_1.jpg

The blue white red belt is the highest rank (the 10th degree black belt) used in my system.

blue_white_red_belt.jpg

Chang_belt.gif

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I was looking around for the style I wanted to study, I visited a lot of martial arts schools...took a lot of free lessons. Sadly, MANY of them started me out with the "if someone grabs your wrist" shtick. The defensive moves you described are not useless, but the whole wrist-grabbing thing is unrealistic.
Actually, it's not. The weak link release is a very viable defense against a very common attack for kids.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple more observations on wrist grabs. Firstly it is easy, particularly if you are male, to dismiss the scenario where some comes up to you grabs your wrist and remains static. Yes as a man it is highly unlikely that another man will do that. I have however, on more than one occasion, witnessed a man and a woman arguing in (or outside) a pub on a Saturday night. Usually it’s boyfriend/girlfriend having an argument. The girlfriend wants to either keep her drunken/angry boyfriend away from her and so puts her hands up to keep him away, and he garbs her wrists so she can’t. Or, she turns to walk away and he grabs hold of her arm and won’t let her. Alternatively the drunken/angry girlfriend is slapping/pushing the boyfriend and so he grabs her arms to stop her.

Secondly wrists grabs do indeed have a have a very practical real world fight/self defence application. If you were to strike pre-emptively (for the purposes of self defence), a natural reaction of your target would be to draw their hands up to protect their head. These hands are then preventing you from continued striking and (at least to the head where the knock out blow is) however if you seize the arms and strip it out of the way, you can continue striking.

Taking this to the next logical step, if someone started throwing punches at you and you manged to get your hands up to protect your head, your attacker may do the same to you - grab your arm and strip it out of the way to facilitate further strikes, so then then there is a very real need to address to problem of your arms being grabbed.

This expalins it a lot better:-
Thanks for posting that video, Paul. I like that guy's explanations, and his demonstrations give a good entrance to some of our striking applications - something my students were asking me last week if we could spend some time on. So, I'll be watching a few more of his videos later today. You're just stealing my time, man.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They can still use the other hand to stop you though.

I have focused on Lead Limb Control for the last couple years of my training..... From my experience, once you grab someones wrist or hand they become fixated on it. Even trained more highly skilled MAs. I agree with Drop Bear.....If i have your wrist i will be able to punch you in the head before you can stop me.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have focused on Lead Limb Control for the last couple years of my training..... From my experience, once you grab someones wrist or hand they become fixated on it. Even trained more highly skilled MAs. I agree with Drop Bear.....If i have your wrist i will be able to punch you in the head before you can stop me.
When someone grabs my wrist and throws a punch at my face my natural reaction is to put my other hand up (if it's not already) and protect my head with a palm block.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When someone grabs my wrist and throws a punch at my face my natural reaction is to put my other hand up (if it's not already) and protect my head with a palm block.

Good. Just saying your natural reaction is not always what you think.

As you know all openings only last milliseconds.....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How exactly do you guys do takedowns? Obviously there realistic unlike ours. But does someone punch and leave it there fore you to perform a takedown or what?
-Julian

Yes, we have the person punch and freeze with the punch right there. That way, when you're feeling kind of frisky, you can bow out the class, close the dojo for the night and go home.
Usually, the guy will be sleep-standing when you open the next day. And, man, will his arm be tired.

Good times.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, we have the person punch and freeze with the punch right there. That way, when you're feeling kind of frisky, you can bow out the class, close the dojo for the night and go home.
Usually, the guy will be sleep-standing when you open the next day. And, man, will his arm be tired.

Good times.

Lol

-Julian

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They can still use the other hand to stop you though.

if you are standing directly in front of them then yes. mabye? if you clinch up and control a side. then that other arm wont be able to stop that punch.

if they do use that other hand they have to cross their own arms and that will not make their situation any better.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you are standing directly in front of them then yes. mabye? if you clinch up and control a side. then that other arm wont be able to stop that punch.

if they do use that other hand they have to cross their own arms and that will not make their situation any better.
It all depends on the relative positions of the two people when the wrist is grabbed as to whether a punch can be stopped easily.

If you are clinched up then how are you doing that and be grabbing a wrist and punching all at the same time?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It all depends on the relative positions of the two people when the wrist is grabbed as to whether a punch can be stopped easily.

If you are clinched up then how are you doing that and be grabbing a wrist and punching all at the same time?

One hand on their neck or under hook. The other on their wrist. Let go. Elbow or punch. And then even re grab the wrist if you can.

Gives you basically a free shot.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
One hand on their neck or under hook. The other on their wrist. Let go. Elbow or punch. And then even re grab the wrist if you can.

Gives you basically a free shot.
Let go of their neck or their wrist? If you have one hand on their neck and one on their wrist they still have one free hand whilst you don't.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let go of their neck or their wrist? If you have one hand on their neck and one on their wrist they still have one free hand whilst you don't.
With the underhook to help control the shoulder and the ability to pull on the opposite arm to shift their weight, you should be able to keep them from striking effectively with the other arm. Now, if you're clinching from the neck instead of the underhook, I'd think they could get in some good rib shots.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

i have the inside track to strike both sides of their body. they have the outside which is not as good. Any strike they do has to go past my arms. and I have control of their bodyweight. I can swing off them to charge up a strike they have to fight for control of their body weight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the inside track to strike both sides of their body. they have the outside which is not as good. Any strike they do has to go past my arms. and I have control of their bodyweight. I can swing off them to charge up a strike they have to fight for control of their body weight.
What about rib shots when you're controlling from the neck? Am I picturing the wrong clinch for what you're describing?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What about rib shots when you're controlling from the neck? Am I picturing the wrong clinch for what you're describing?
A neck control along with a leading arm control (lapel hold and sleeve hold) can turn into a head lock easily. When you have a successful clinch on your opponent (his spine is bending), he won't be able to strike you.

Chang_head_lock.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You at least have a bit of elbow there to deflect it.

The also can't body weight the shot well. Because there is this guy hanging off their neck.

If you are in a dominant position. They need to get out of that position. Not start a striking exchange. Unless they are awesome.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are in a dominant position. They need to get out of that position. Not start a striking exchange. Unless they are awesome.
Agree! All clinches have weakness. If you can deal with that clinch on time, get out of that bad position, you can then start your favor striking game after that.

This remind me a fight that I had in Shangyang northern train station in China. I got a clinch with my opponent. He used his free arm to attack my groin. I then had to take him down on the cold hard concrete ground with a perfect "side mount". If he used his free arm to deal with my clinch, he might have better chance to get away.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions