My opinion on self defense. I want your opinions!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A neck control along with a leading arm control (lapel hold and sleeve hold) can turn into a head lock easily. When you have a successful clinch on your opponent (his spine is bending), he won't be able to strike you.

Chang_head_lock.jpg

The position in question wasn't a headlock, of course. And what I'm picturing from his description wouldn't be a clinch that bends his spine, since only one hand is at the neck. Again, I may simply be picturing the wrong position.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You at least have a bit of elbow there to deflect it.

The also can't body weight the shot well. Because there is this guy hanging off their neck.

If you are in a dominant position. They need to get out of that position. Not start a striking exchange. Unless they are awesome.
Well, what about those of us who are awesome? Are we expected to simply stay there and let you dominate us?:D

Good point on both the elbow deflections and reduced power. I guess I'm more thinking of someone giving me a bunch of moderate taps in the same spot, but you wouldn't stay in that position long enough for that to matter. Unless they're awesome.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, what about those of us who are awesome? Are we expected to simply stay there and let you dominate us?:D

Good point on both the elbow deflections and reduced power. I guess I'm more thinking of someone giving me a bunch of moderate taps in the same spot, but you wouldn't stay in that position long enough for that to matter. Unless they're awesome.

if you are awesome you can break any rule you want. we call that the Anderson Silva factor. i am not and so play the percentages.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are awesome you can break any rule you want. we call that the Anderson Silva factor. i am not and so play the percentages.
Well, I'm clearly more awesome than Anderson Silva, as evidenced by the fact that I've never lost a UFC fight. Heck, I've never even been hit in a UFC fight! :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A strike would be used to soften your opponent and/or create an opening to do an escape, not to start an extended exchange.

Yes you could strike and escape. But the point is you should be trying to escape from that position and not assume you are safe.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never actually had anyone grab me by the wrist(s) outside of the dojo. Drilled it enough, though. Not sure why, all part of the process, I reckon.
As for headlocks, I go to sleep dreaming that someone will get me in a headlock. If I was to choose any grab/clinch/thing, it would be that puppy right there. I should be so lucky.

Latest Discussions