My opinion on self defense. I want your opinions!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into how the techniques were executed the video seems to be either for an introduction for students learning the techniques for the first time or a reference for the techniques required for advancement. There are some techniques shown that I recognize from Hapkido. Number 17 looks like it was taken from Hwa rang hyung.
Even if just shown as step-by-step demonstrations, some of those actually lack elements necessary for them to be effective. Demonstrating the steps of a technique completely absent the principles needed for it to work doesn't help anyone learn it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was not one moment in that defence where the attacker could not have gotten him with the knife. The funny part is that the defender actually stabs himself with the attacker's knife.
Well, the attacker would have had to bring the knife lower than his own head to have a chance of stabbing him. In the defender's defense, his defense was perfect for the attack given. Well, right up until he provided the missing attack at the end.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I was looking around for the style I wanted to study, I visited a lot of martial arts schools...took a lot of free lessons. Sadly, MANY of them started me out with the "if someone grabs your wrist" shtick. The defensive moves you described are not useless, but the whole wrist-grabbing thing is unrealistic. I've witnessed a lot of street fights in my day. No one ever went for a wrist grab first. If I were you, I would check out some other schools. You want to find a style where, when you see it, you say, "Wow, I see how that could be applied!" You want something that speaks out to you, that strikes you as making sense the SECOND you see it.

At least, that is my opinion on it anyway...for what it's worth.

I have only gotten this far in a thread I seem to have missed. Fascinating how many people only have a hammer and only see nails.

First, to the OP: In my brief experience with TKD, when we did step sparing, which is what is sort of sounds like you are doing a variation on, we first blocked, then ended with a strike. Well, it was TKD after all.

But it sounds like you were being taught a grappling move, specific to a handshake where you are being attacked with the handshake, either to control you or to embarrass/hurt you. If you are going to be taught grappling, the most essential thing is you have strong wrists and hand/grab. If not, most of your grappling will be ineffective or dangerous. In the Hakido I studied, part of our warmup was exercising the grip.

I have no idea what you mean by sticky hands, since that can mean several things. But about the simplest move is to rotate your hand down, to the right and up (assuming a right hand shake), then grab the opponents thumb firmly and crank it back and his hand and arm down. In the event he really has a strong grip and you can't do that, rotate your hands so you are under his, placing your other hand on top of his to trap it. Then forcefully step in low, as you forcefully lift up on his hand breaking his wrist.

After either of those moves you can kick to your hearts content, but I would suggest you stay waist and below. If you take out the pelvis or a knee, he will not fight your or anyone else for a while.

Now to Wingchun100: What if someone grabs your wrist? Oh, it never happens? World over, yes? In Korea they still do sometimes, but granted, it is not usually something they intend to struggle over. Well, how about back in the day when you might be a swordsman, and an unarmed opponent grabbed your wrist so your couldn't draw your sword? Would you like a way to free that wrist and arm?

Now I suppose you are going to try to convince me nobody carries swords anymore so that doesn't count. I think you have me there. But I thought it was neat, especially how I could loosen an opponent's grip. But what I really learned was that everything I did from white belt up, was a building block to stronger and more neat things.

We went from wrist grabs to forearm grabs, to elbow grabs, to shoulder grabs, to chest, neck, and on and on, throwing in joint locks, punches, kicks, and throws. EDIT: Oh, we also learned to throw in a lot of that in defense of punches and kicks. Really neat and fun.

Sorry you missed out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are some self defence techniques that people should have put more though into:

lol.. That makes me squint, which is my natural expression of "Someone is going to get hurt"
That is sooooooooooooooo horrible. Out of all the bad decision in life, Don't smoke Crack, Don't try Meth, And NEVER, EVER address a knife attack like that. lol.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some self defence techniques that people should have put more though into:

(the dialogue before the demonstration...)

Now today students I am going to demonstrate how one can take their own life without it looking like suicide. First I am not going to actually address the hand wielding the knife. I am going to step inside so he can thrust into my chest. Second, if he missed the first opportunity, I will grab the opposite hand and move in such a way that he now can stab me in the back. Finally, if you are dealing with an opponent who is so unskilled that you are still alive, we will perform an attack which, if executed correctly, should see your self severing the tricep muscle of your striking arm, creating an opening for your opponent to finish you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is a hand shake. just flick him in the throat or nuts or something.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Next time when someone shakes your hand, you can try this. I taught this move on the street of Rio de Janeiro. All Brazil kids liked it. My friend told those kids that I was Bruce Lee's MA teacher and they all believed . :)

There's a Chin Na handshake technique that dislocates the person's thumb. I always wondered about the use of it. Then I just accepted the fact that not all of the people who knew martial arts were nice guys. I just assume that it was a dirty move technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So self defense in my Taekwondo school id where someone does and unrealistic grab on you and you go though a series of movements then execute a counter attack. My issue with this: if someone is going to handshake me and hold my hand there I'm going to side kick them, or kick them in the groin, or punch them in the face rather than taking two steps to the side, yanking their arm down, and kicking them in the face with a front kick. Do any of you agree or disagree? I feel like these moves won't help me in the street? Any suggestions? Is this all completely useless? Thanks guys
I just found an old video of me doing something similar to what you are describing. The only thing is that it's not a hand shake, it's a hand grab as in pulling down the guard. If this is the technique then this is a realistic technique.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have only gotten this far in a thread I seem to have missed. Fascinating how many people only have a hammer and only see nails.

First, to the OP: In my brief experience with TKD, when we did step sparing, which is what is sort of sounds like you are doing a variation on, we first blocked, then ended with a strike. Well, it was TKD after all.

But it sounds like you were being taught a grappling move, specific to a handshake where you are being attacked with the handshake, either to control you or to embarrass/hurt you. If you are going to be taught grappling, the most essential thing is you have strong wrists and hand/grab. If not, most of your grappling will be ineffective or dangerous. In the Hakido I studied, part of our warmup was exercising the grip.

I have no idea what you mean by sticky hands, since that can mean several things. But about the simplest move is to rotate your hand down, to the right and up (assuming a right hand shake), then grab the opponents thumb firmly and crank it back and his hand and arm down. In the event he really has a strong grip and you can't do that, rotate your hands so you are under his, placing your other hand on top of his to trap it. Then forcefully step in low, as you forcefully lift up on his hand breaking his wrist.

After either of those moves you can kick to your hearts content, but I would suggest you stay waist and below. If you take out the pelvis or a knee, he will not fight your or anyone else for a while.

Now to Wingchun100: What if someone grabs your wrist? Oh, it never happens? World over, yes? In Korea they still do sometimes, but granted, it is not usually something they intend to struggle over. Well, how about back in the day when you might be a swordsman, and an unarmed opponent grabbed your wrist so your couldn't draw your sword? Would you like a way to free that wrist and arm?

Now I suppose you are going to try to convince me nobody carries swords anymore so that doesn't count. I think you have me there. But I thought it was neat, especially how I could loosen an opponent's grip. But what I really learned was that everything I did from white belt up, was a building block to stronger and more neat things.

We went from wrist grabs to forearm grabs, to elbow grabs, to shoulder grabs, to chest, neck, and on and on, throwing in joint locks, punches, kicks, and throws. EDIT: Oh, we also learned to throw in a lot of that in defense of punches and kicks. Really neat and fun.

Sorry you missed out.

You're right. I was too busy learning the practical stuff right off the bat, rather than lead up to it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right. I was too busy learning the practical stuff right off the bat, rather than lead up to it.

Well I am sorry to make my comments above sound like an attack on you personally. I should have ensured it was understood it as a rant against all those who think wrist grab defense as a starting point, has no value. People like to jump on that bandwagon without thinking it through or asking anyone why it might be done. But again, I didn't mean it as an attack on you, and I am sorry I made is sound that way. You are just one more or long line of people who do so. It frustrates me and I think those who do are in error. Just my opinion of course. You need not change your martial arts' experience or method of learning MA.

I can appreciate that a person might want to jump to "the practical stuff." But my point was that students are better off with the underpinnings of "the practical stuff," and in fact are unlikely to be as good at it without those underpinnings. But perhaps you are so good as to be able to immediately understand and apply the fine nuances of anything you try just a few times. If so, I envy you. Most people cannot.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple more observations on wrist grabs. Firstly it is easy, particularly if you are male, to dismiss the scenario where some comes up to you grabs your wrist and remains static. Yes as a man it is highly unlikely that another man will do that. I have however, on more than one occasion, witnessed a man and a woman arguing in (or outside) a pub on a Saturday night. Usually it’s boyfriend/girlfriend having an argument. The girlfriend wants to either keep her drunken/angry boyfriend away from her and so puts her hands up to keep him away, and he garbs her wrists so she can’t. Or, she turns to walk away and he grabs hold of her arm and won’t let her. Alternatively the drunken/angry girlfriend is slapping/pushing the boyfriend and so he grabs her arms to stop her.

Secondly wrists grabs do indeed have a have a very practical real world fight/self defence application. If you were to strike pre-emptively (for the purposes of self defence), a natural reaction of your target would be to draw their hands up to protect their head. These hands are then preventing you from continued striking and (at least to the head where the knock out blow is) however if you seize the arms and strip it out of the way, you can continue striking.

Taking this to the next logical step, if someone started throwing punches at you and you manged to get your hands up to protect your head, your attacker may do the same to you - grab your arm and strip it out of the way to facilitate further strikes, so then then there is a very real need to address to problem of your arms being grabbed.

This expalins it a lot better:-

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you like to clinch,strike and throw. then you will need to know something about arm grabs.

if I have your wrist then I can punch you in the head before you can stop me.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Secondly wrists grabs do indeed have a have a very practical real world fight/self defence application. If you were to strike pre-emptively (for the purposes of self defence), a natural reaction of your target would be to draw their hands up to protect their head. These hands are then preventing you from continued striking and (at least to the head where the knock out blow is) however if you seize the arms and strip it out of the way, you can continue striking.

aka trapping hands.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Next time when someone shakes your hand, you can try this. I taught this move on the street of Rio de Janeiro. All Brazil kids liked it. My friend told those kids that I was Bruce Lee's MA teacher and they all believed . :)

I can't get over that gold belt and camo gi combo. It's definitely the sparkliest gold belt I've ever seen. He must have done real good to win that one. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A couple more observations on wrist grabs. Firstly it is easy, particularly if you are male, to dismiss the scenario where some comes up to you grabs your wrist and remains static. Yes as a man it is highly unlikely that another man will do that. I have however, on more than one occasion, witnessed a man and a woman arguing in (or outside) a pub on a Saturday night. Usually it’s boyfriend/girlfriend having an argument. The girlfriend wants to either keep her drunken/angry boyfriend away from her and so puts her hands up to keep him away, and he garbs her wrists so she can’t. Or, she turns to walk away and he grabs hold of her arm and won’t let her. Alternatively the drunken/angry girlfriend is slapping/pushing the boyfriend and so he grabs her arms to stop her.

Taking this to the next logical step, if someone started throwing punches at you and you manged to get your hands up to protect your head, your attacker may do the same to you - grab your arm and strip it out of the way to facilitate further strikes, so then then there is a very real need to address to problem of your arms being grabbed.

This expalins it a lot better:-
Jow Ga has a similar punch but it's actually a double punch. You can see me do the punch here during free sparring. I'm the guy in the back with long pants (2:45). You'll hear my Sifu say "Don't make us call you old.." you can hear them laugh after I do the punch because it's old skool Jow Ga that many of the older Sifus know but really didn't pass down to many students. The punch doesn't seem like it would be powerful, but if a person can learn to generate the power then at least one punch will land. Both if the person is fast enough with the technique.

Watching the video that you posted makes me want to take a deeper look into in to the kung fu version that I know of. When I see that video it makes me think that the ribs would be a better place to aim for a technique like that since it looks like the elbow from the attacker is getting in the way.