mma is a made up martial art.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a different word than "made up" is in order. Mixed Martial Arts is becoming an assembled, eclectic martial art. It draws on ring experience and modern sport training methods to prepare participants for fighting in various sports environments and rule sets that allow a wide range of combative techniques to be used.
|
The reason I got so good at karate is I didn't dwell on the obvious.... I know you guys can hold a conversation but come on.
|
Right above in the quote is a great summation. The majority of what MMA draws upon is established martial fighting styles. The competitors, the fighters, draw upon same, evolve their own style & interpretation and with respect to the environment they are competing in.... the so-called Octagon. Trainers & coaches like Greg Jackson, et al, may design some new stylistic fighting tactics, etc.
|
I'm excited about the upcoming Machida / Rockhold bout. Where we have the traditional karate base + MMA arts vs. American kickboxing + MMA arts.... what's to argue?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except we train specifically in mma as a different system. The same as kung fu uses moves either from other systems or similar to other systems but is still kung fu.

Probably asked this before, but don't remember. When you started MMA, did you like forget what you trained previously and viewed MMA as complete new beginning?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably asked this before, but don't remember. When you started MMA, did you like forget what you trained previously and viewed MMA as complete new beginning?

Yeah pretty much. But I was doing some pretty craptastic stuff previously.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much. But I was doing some pretty craptastic stuff previously.

I am making a massive assumption here, yeah I know the sucker punch, but did you feel that a singular path with a TMA, perhaps could still feel a little disjointed. IE mixing it up not only makes sense, but feels more. Like a wrestler that leans to punch for example?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am making a massive assumption here, yeah I know the sucker punch, but did you feel that a singular path with a TMA, perhaps could still feel a little disjointed. IE mixing it up not only makes sense, but feels more. Like a wrestler that leans to punch for example?

Yeah I could wrestle/kickbox and get a result. But I would loose the finesse that comes with combining it correctly.

Even when we first started with our bjj coach. There was a bjj way to do things and a mma way. So when we were doing mma there was real differences.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cross training would be very effective in MMA. Mostly stand up and ground are focused on. And maybe the technique isn't a "superman punch" but called that simply because that's what it looks like.

MMA is not made up. You need to have at least 3 years of martial arts training to be effective. Or go to a gym that has a class to learn bjj Muay Thai, boxing, and whatever other martial art or conditioning program they teach. Doesn't necessarily mean you are going to fight. You could be in it for fitness only. Or strictly for self defense.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cross training would be very effective in MMA. Mostly stand up and ground are focused on. And maybe the technique isn't a "superman punch" but called that simply because that's what it looks like.

MMA is not made up. You need to have at least 3 years of martial arts training to be effective. Or go to a gym that has a class to learn bjj Muay Thai, boxing, and whatever other martial art or conditioning program they teach. Doesn't necessarily mean you are going to fight. You could be in it for fitness only. Or strictly for self defense.

Kane hober at six months of training MMA no previous martial arts experience. This is his second fight.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Every body learns at their own pace but thats just a general figure. Not every one who gets into competitive fighting is going to pick it up at 6 months.

Results may vary is a better term.

Last edited:

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA is becoming a combat sport in itself, like Boxing or Wrestling. The rules make the combat sport. You change the rules, the sport will change. You put rules in Martial Arts, it becomes a sport...

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This topic will never end and is almost completely pointless to talk about on a martial arts forum anymore these days. Something that never seems to get clarification during these conversations as to what exactly mma is or isn't is the fact that doing martial arts does not make you a good fighter, neither does lifting weights or running. A person could do tkd for twenty years and still not be able to fight his way out of a papper sack. The so called mma style is exactly the same thing, and honestly all of the noise I hear about it is just that IMO.
Mma is very very broad term, its also extremely generic and could truthfully be used to describe any of the hybrid arts out there. Guys who just practice the stuff they see in the cage is mma I suppose but frankly who's teaching them, where did they learn it from, it actually has a history and comes from somewhere.
Now that I said that let's remember that the mma rule set allows all arts and styles no question, if that's the case then how on earth can people say they only do mma answer is they do a hybrid martial art that should have a name and they fight in mma matches. There we go.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MMA Mixed Martial Adaptation?
Yea basically it really is. All the stuff about martial arts evolving under pressure testing is a joke only a noon would buy into. People have done things like boxing and jujitsu for ..... Oh idk since it first came out. Ever heard of bartitsu, what a joke these guys think they've created something that's been around for ever.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea basically it really is. All the stuff about martial arts evolving under pressure testing is a joke only a noon would buy into. People have done things like boxing and jujitsu for ..... Oh idk since it first came out. Ever heard of bartitsu, what a joke these guys think they've created something that's been around for ever.

It is like making a cake. People use different ingredients and come up with their own thing. But the ingredients are out there already.

Otherwise most martial arts are a hybrid of something if you go back far enough.

Now martial arts evolves differently under different pressure testing.

We have never had pressure testing of a hybrid on this scale before.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can't really believe that lols. The truth is far different than that. Martial artists evolve through pressure testing, judo, boxing, karate and all the other martial arts have already been pressure tested a hundred years ago. The mma guys can't stand to exhist in a community with neighbors like hybrid martial arts, they gotta throw rocks and claim its not pressure tested...what a joke on all of us.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is like making a cake. People use different ingredients and come up with their own thing. But the ingredients are out there already.

Otherwise most martial arts are a hybrid of something if you go back far enough.

Now martial arts evolves differently under different pressure testing.

We have never had pressure testing of a hybrid on this scale before.

You can't really believe that lols.

Assuming your post was a response to drop bear's immediately above it - yes, I'm quite certain he can believe it, since the historical record bears it out.

"Hybrid" martial arts are nothing new. A large percentage of extant martial arts started out as mixtures of previously existing arts.

"Pressure testing" is nothing new. Neither is pressure testing in the form of challenge matches against other stylists.

What's new about modern MMA is the scale of the thing. If you added together all the fights of Maeda's career to all the Gracie challenge matches in Brazil to the Lebell/Savage fight to Sam McVea's "all-in" fights to any fights to all the challenge matches taken part in by Bartitsu practitioners to all the challenge matches taken part in by JKD practitioners to all the other mixed art matches allowing both grappling and full contact striking prior to the 1980s they wouldn't approach the sheer numbers of modern MMA. Previously such matches were rare, isolated, special events. Now we have hundreds of professional MMA fights and thousands of amateur fights every year. Those fights bring fighters from all over the world and representatives of any martial art may choose to participate. Furthermore, high-quality video of these matches is readily available and fighters use such video to prepare for competition.

This combination of factors - a large number of fighters from a wide variety of backgrounds taking part in a large number of fights, studying the results of those fights, and adjusting their training as a result has caused the sport/art to evolve at a remarkable pace. If you were to travel back in time to the 90s, grab the winners of the first few UFCs in their prime and bring them back to the present day, they would get destroyed by today's top fighters.

I'm not going to argue that MMA is the "best" or "totally original" or anything like that. I am saying that drop bear's points about the scale of modern MMA and its resultant rapid evolution are totally accurate.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Assuming your post was a response to drop bear's immediately above it - yes, I'm quite certain he can believe it, since the historical record bears it out.

"Hybrid" martial arts are nothing new. A large percentage of extant martial arts started out as mixtures of previously existing arts.

"Pressure testing" is nothing new. Neither is pressure testing in the form of challenge matches against other stylists.

What's new about modern MMA is the scale of the thing. If you added together all the fights of Maeda's career to all the Gracie challenge matches in Brazil to the Lebell/Savage fight to Sam McVea's "all-in" fights to any fights to all the challenge matches taken part in by Bartitsu practitioners to all the challenge matches taken part in by JKD practitioners to all the other mixed art matches allowing both grappling and full contact striking prior to the 1980s they wouldn't approach the sheer numbers of modern MMA. Previously such matches were rare, isolated, special events. Now we have hundreds of professional MMA fights and thousands of amateur fights every year. Those fights bring fighters from all over the world and representatives of any martial art may choose to participate. Furthermore, high-quality video of these matches is readily available and fighters use such video to prepare for competition.

This combination of factors - a large number of fighters from a wide variety of backgrounds taking part in a large number of fights, studying the results of those fights, and adjusting their training as a result has caused the sport/art to evolve at a remarkable pace. If you were to travel back in time to the 90s, grab the winners of the first few UFCs in their prime and bring them back to the present day, they would get destroyed by today's top fighters.

I'm not going to argue that MMA is the "best" or "totally original" or anything like that. I am saying that drop bear's points about the scale of modern MMA and its resultant rapid evolution are totally accurate.

Please, don't anyone take this the wrong way but frankly I don't really care. Its a pointless topic filled to the ceiling with pride and hubris. Actually this whole topic of conversation makes me want to quit martial arts all together if you want to know the truth. Get over it, get over your self or selves mma isnt anything new, and its a boreing beat up worn out topic only argued by noons wanna bees. Its a stupid play on words game that does nothing other than play people against eachother mma is an acronym I wish never exhausted.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please, don't anyone take this the wrong way but frankly I don't really care. Its a pointless topic filled to the ceiling with pride and hubris. Actually this whole topic of conversation makes me want to quit martial arts all together if you want to know the truth. Get over it, get over your self or selves mma isnt anything new, and its a boreing beat up worn out topic only argued by noons wanna bees. Its a stupid play on words game that does nothing other than play people against eachother mma is an acronym I wish never exhausted.
If you don't care about MMA, then why are you bothering to comment on a thread about MMA? There are plenty of threads on other topics currently active. There's no rule saying you have to participate in a discussion that has no interest for you.

BTW - if you are opposed to hubris and people being played against each other, then it might be a good idea to avoid calling folks "no ones" and "wannabees." That's not the sort of verbiage normally associated with humble people who are trying to get along with others. Just saying ...

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't really believe that lols. The truth is far different than that. Martial artists evolve through pressure testing, judo, boxing, karate and all the other martial arts have already been pressure tested a hundred years ago. The mma guys can't stand to exhist in a community with neighbors like hybrid martial arts, they gotta throw rocks and claim its not pressure tested...what a joke on all of us.

No. I claim the martial arts that do not fight are not pressure tested.

Pressure tested judo,boxing and karate are neighbours of mma. We have judo,boxers and karate guys training or teaching in our mma club.

And those martial arts don't have to hide behind lineage. They work now. They will be pressure tested today.

Latest Discussions