mma is a made up martial art.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't attack me I'd be more than happy to answer and question. You already got one refferal don't get another over something petty.

And something's that seem unreal is because I was born with a certain greatness and I achieve amazing tasks.

You think that was directed at me?

So tell us all about your amazing greatness.
Have to admit, I haven't really noticed any so far.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you didn't attack me I'd be more than happy to answer and question. You already got one refferal don't get another over something petty.

And something's that seem unreal is because I was born with a certain greatness and I achieve amazing tasks.

Well, I haven't attacked you, so can you tell me what training you have had? I'm kind of curious about the "amazing tasks" as well.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey man, take it down a notch. There many Sharks around here. A few Tigers I would think, just poised to take the Seal. You be careful now :D

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Although i will say my instructor is pretty awesome too, he also dosent explain himself to people, its kinda how he lives his life.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone who feels that they have been the victim of a personal attack in violation of the Martial Talk Rules should use the Report To Moderator feature. Each report is assessed and discussed in detail by the Moderation Team, and appropriate actions taken. We don't disclose what's done to someone -- but we do take all reports seriously.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nate, what's on your mind, buddy? Do you have something to add to this discussion regarding MMA?

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a very strange thread. So for example, when I go back to Wing Chun and probably in six months or so, if I added a knee practising Chi Sau, would that be in affect be making things up. Sorry I just fail to see that, surely the knee is a add on and has no tangible affect on Wing Chun? Surely if MMA was making things up as it goes along, where is the coherence in that. Someone tries a new move been made up, a kick to the neck for example would likely paralyse. Sorry, I just don't get it.

A Martial Art is based on coherence honed by generations, making something up on the fly is all well and good, but has to based on coherence of whatever art you do. The sandbox is simply not that vast. Is MMA not made up of Boxers, Wrestlers and Grappler's, what new move made up could possibly be safe on the fly. Rambling over, going to go and be confused.com elsewhere.

It is a little odd right? As far as I'm concerned, style just your strategy and a set of techniques that let you employ it. Tossing a right cross in the middle of a kung fu escapade surely doesn't mean that you're no longer practicing kung fu?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a little odd right? As far as I'm concerned, style just your strategy and a set of techniques that let you employ it. Tossing a right cross in the middle of a kung fu escapade surely doesn't mean that you're no longer practicing kung fu?

Well, if I through a right cross while in a Kung Fu escapade, it would likely be just a glancing push. But then I would understand the question from my perspective. So yeah, it would not be a Kung Fu move, just misdirection. Which would probably mean the practitioner is loosing and probably desperate.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gi and no gi, but mostly gi. I prefer the pace in gi. I'm old and slow, and grips help me to manage the pace of the match.
Agree! For older people (like myself), the Gi environment can slow down the pace quite a lot. IMO, both Gi and no Gi can test different kind of skills. In the

- Gi environment, the moment that you can grab on your opponent, he has to fight you and he can no longer hopping around and avoid fighting. The Gi can also give you a nice pulling to set up your throw. When you get a dead lock, you may have to spend some energy to break your opponent's grips apart.
- no Gi environment, since you can't use stiff arms to hold on your opponent, each round will move very fast. You will spend less energy in each round but when your opponent attacks, you have to respond fast.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone hear have tournament experience?
If you are still young, you should accumulate as much tournament experience as possible.

1984 was the last year that I competed myself. After that I became Shuai-Chiao (Chinese wrestling) and Sanda coach and no longer competed.

In

- 1984, I took my US Shuai-Chiao (Chinese wrestling) team to compete in Taiwan (Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tainan).
- 1985, I took my US Shuai-Chiao (Chinese wrestling) team to compete in China (Beijing, Hangzhou, Shanghai).
- 2004, I took my Shuai-Chiao (Chinese wrestling) team to compete in Rome, Italy.
- 2006, I took my Sanda team to compete in Taipei, Taiwan.

Here is a short clip for my US Shuai-Chiao (Chinese wrestling) team visited China back in 1984.

Last edited:

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I through a right cross while in a Kung Fu escapade, it would likely be just a glancing push. But then I would understand the question from my perspective. So yeah, it would not be a Kung Fu move, just misdirection. Which would probably mean the practitioner is loosing and probably desperate.

:banghead:
Not what I meant. Even if a move that slightly deviates from how it's taught in a style's method, it doesn't exactly mean you are no longer performing that art the moment you perform it.
If you super traditionalist, then sure, for that one moment, your doing boxing and then you switch back to kung fu the moment the punch is over. IMO, I can be doing any art, and as long as the move can fit within the style, you're still basically doing that art. Technically speaking, that move that isn't explicitly taught in your art could be labeled as a move from a different art, like the right cross. And technically speaking, it is. But let's say that in the exact scenario where you used it, it fit into the method or strategy of your style. It really only worked because your style and skill with it paved the way for that move to be executed. Does that mean you aren't doing your style? I don't think so.
Perhaps kung fu was a bad example. I don't know anything about kung fu. I really thought we were on the same page on that one though.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not what I meant. Even if a move that slightly deviates from how it's taught in a style's method, it doesn't exactly mean you are no longer performing that art the moment you perform it.
If you super traditionalist, then sure, for that one moment, your doing boxing and then you switch back to kung fu the moment the punch is over. IMO, I can be doing any art, and as long as the move can fit within the style, you're still basically doing that art. Technically speaking, that move that isn't explicitly taught in your art could be labeled as a move from a different art, like the right cross. And technically speaking, it is. But let's say that in the exact scenario where you used it, it fit into the method or strategy of your style. It really only worked because your style and skill with it paved the way for that move to be executed. Does that mean you aren't doing your style? I don't think so.
Perhaps kung fu was a bad example. I don't know anything about kung fu. I really thought we were on the same page on that one though.

I like that reply. Keep with it because I am confident that you will find you're path. Doing your style yes. But maybe like myself, you need to understand the martial arts better. You do not understand my method and I am not a martial artist. Sorry for the confusion.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like that reply. Keep with it because I am confident that you will find you're path. Doing your style yes. But maybe like myself, you need to understand the martial arts better. You do not understand my method and I am not a martial artist. Sorry for the confusion.
Well, I'm still a little confused. But ok. :)
Thanks too.... I think.o_O :)

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Except we train specifically in mma as a different system. The same as kung fu uses moves either from other systems or similar to other systems but is still kung fu.

Latest Discussions