mma is a made up martial art.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
:) Is this in e to my post? I don't understand what you're responding to, Hyoho. I didn't even use the term MA.

I will sa. that whatever root it has, words and languages are constantly evolving. It may have meant something once, but it mostly only matters what it means now. That's any term, whether MMA, MA or anything else.[/QUOTE other martial
:) Is this in response to my post? I don't understand what you're responding to, Hyoho. I didn't even use the term MA.

I will say that whatever root it has, words and languages are constantly evolving. It may have meant something once, but it mostly only matters what it means now. That's any term, whether MMA, MA or anything else.
MMA is actually a very specific term. It's not abstract at all. It refers to a sport that is governed by various sanctioning bodies and are grounded in the unified ruleset that has been adopted throughout the world. There are minor variations on the ruleset from place to place, but it's as easy to know you're talking about MMA as it is to know you're talking about western boxing, freestyle wrestling, or any other well defined, combat sport.

MMA does not refer to a hybrid art that doesn't relate to the sport of MMA. That is an intentional misuse of the term. Whether to capitalize on teh popularity of the sport or just through ignorance, the term very specifically refers to the sport that is governed by various sanctioning bodies grounded in the unified ruleset.

As I mentioned earlier, if you're mixing up styles of martial arts for some purpose other than relating to the sport of MMA, you're just cross training.
Ok, first of all i should point out i dont have a problem with mma style training just to put that into perspective i have some experience with it and i liked it, actually id do it again.
alright second of all if your so hip and mainstream with your vanacular then you should be mentally valid enough or well enough to handle a conversation about mma without feeling the need to rnc anyone elses vocabulary, i mean a car is a car but they can have names to right and they can perform defferently with different drivers right kinda like motorcyles really.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is intentional or unintentional but do you realize your posts here are making you out to be a bit of a troll
I get that, im not trolling, I'm as landing my ground. Honestly I think there's a mental health issue involved with this whole thread, I actually went for a walk at the pond to try and put this thread into perspective, and my conclusion is that we all have attachments to things that cause pain, we need to let those things go. I'm fine with people calling their style what ever they want to call it but I'm going to draw the line when they start telling people what they can and cannot say about something as mundane as krotty.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ok, first of all i should point out i dont have a problem with mma style training just to put that into perspective i have some experience with it and i liked it, actually id do it again.
alright second of all if your so hip and mainstream with your vanacular then you should be mentally valid enough or well enough to handle a conversation about mma without feeling the need to rnc anyone elses vocabulary, i mean a car is a car but they can have names to right and they can perform defferently with different drivers right kinda like motorcyles really.
A car is a car, but it isn't a tricycle. Is it? Dogs and cats are both common, household pets, but you wouldn't mix the two words up. Well, maybe you would, but most people wouldn't. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I get that, im not trolling, I'm as landing my ground. Honestly I think there's a mental health issue involved with this whole thread, I actually went for a walk at the pond to try and put this thread into perspective, and my conclusion is that we all have attachments to things that cause pain, we need to let those things go. I'm fine with people calling their style what ever they want to call it but I'm going to draw the line when they start telling people what they can and cannot say about something as mundane as krotty.
What's krotty?

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lols Steve, BTW I'd like permission to call you Mr.clean, I'm asking permission so it can be done respectfully. Anybody ever wonder why the bald guy with the ear ring was on a cleaning product....what a wonder.
To answers your question, krotty is the simple and innocent activity kids and adults do everyday and all the time and its just that simple. It krotty.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A car is a car, butdon't isn't a tricycle. Is it? Dogs and cats are both common, household pets, but you wouldn't mix the two words up. Well, maybe you would, but most people wouldn't. :)
m.a. is m.a. is m.a.- fighting is fighting is fighting. The two dont really have anything to do with one and other. You can go train at an mma gym it dosent make you a fighter, you can step into the ring and get a few wins still dosent make you a fighter, and your trike comment is kinda funny btw.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
m.a. is m.a. is m.a.- fighting is fighting is fighting. The two dont really have anything to do with one and other. You can go train at an mma gym it dosent make you a fighter, you can step into the ring and get a few wins still dosent make you a fighter, and your trike comment is kinda funny btw.

I have always believed that while humans have the fighting instinct across the board, the majority do not in this context. Wonder if a gene is responsible where despite it is stupid, unintelligent and so forth, a person just wants to rip into someone just because they are wired that way.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Honestly transk idk, nobody really does but if you look at a lot of really great fighters, say young mike Tyson , one thing a lot of them have is nothing to lose, its like end game for them at the age of twenty, do or dieif you will, that dodoesn't mean that's what makes them good fighters it just a similar trait they share.
All the talk on these forms about mma and tma and who's legit and who's a fraud, is all rubbish, its all for the sake of saying I'm better than you I'm valid and your invalid and not just me and you but people like me and people like you. And all I have to say about it is just let it all go, don't worry about putting a label on everything you see, quit worrying about what people call their martial art, just let go of it.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey I'm not picking on tkd. I know a few tkd guys you wouldn't try to mess with. Sorry if I single out a specific martial art I didn't mean to.
My point comes from the heart when I say that martial arts really doesn't have a whole whole lot to do with fighting. Literally I've seen guys train m.a. of all kinds for ten plus years and pretty much any highschool tough guy could take them. Its not enough to have martial skill, its not enough to lift weights and its not enough to simple be put in the ring its not even enough to do all three of those things. There has to be some fight in YOU, and you can't drive that into a person with a sledge hammer if their not willing to put up a fight then the dog won't hunt...period, bottom line.
As for the comment about judo, boxing and wrestling I think its safe to say that its self explained, those arts are tried and try it doesn't need us to put them to the test, mma style didn't need to be pressure tested the people using it in an mma match needed to be pressure tested.
If a person would just slow down long enough to really do their homework it wouldn't take very long to figure out that there has always been a mixed martial arts environment somewhere at sometime, if you don't the idea my friends look at the pancration movement or the vale tudo movement, still not convinced then wrap your head around wrestling and traveling carnivals of the twenties and thirties. The only difference is the coverage that mma gets and the pop trends that follow along with it, that's really it.

We do a 12 week program where we take a guy off the streets train them up and put them in the ring.

So far everybody has fought. Whether they had fight in them at the start or not.

Now they may not be brilliant technical guys or kill monsters. But everybody has fight in them if they really want to.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly transk idk, nobody really does but if you look at a lot of really great fighters, say young mike Tyson , one thing a lot of them have is nothing to lose, its like end game for them at the age of twenty, do or dieif you will, that dodoesn't mean that's what makes them good fighters it just a similar trait they share.
All the talk on these forms about mma and tma and who's legit and who's a fraud, is all rubbish, its all for the sake of saying I'm better than you I'm valid and your invalid and not just me and you but people like me and people like you. And all I have to say about it is just let it all go, don't worry about putting a label on everything you see, quit worrying about what people call their martial art, just let go of it.

I am better than you.

Not just because mma.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
:) Is this in response to my post? I don't understand what you're responding to, Hyoho. I didn't even use the term MA.

I will say that whatever root it has, words and languages are constantly evolving. It may have meant something once, but it mostly only matters what it means now. That's any term, whether MMA, MA or anything else.
What I meant was the term MMA is an abbreviation derived from MA. Another bad translation. And there you have it. Evolving, adaptation etc. I really think its time we dropped the word 'art' from any of this. MME?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What I meant was the term MMA is an abbreviation derived from MA. Another bad translation. And there you have it. Evolving, adaptation etc. I really think its time we dropped the word 'art' from any of this. MME?
Why do that? What do you think 'art' means? I think you might have the wrong definition in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, this is really something. Lols where do you guys come up with this stuff, I mean you sound like your a scientist inttoduceing some kind of wonder food or drug. Mma as you know it came from Brazil to be exact where it had already been perfected in vale tudo fights and the gracies new that fact they just didn't want to validate it before you. They sold you a sense of personal discovery about fighting and the martial arts that's as false as it can be, tons of hybrid systems in the states were using boxing, jujitsu and karate for years and years and years, not idiots either, educated, athletic, men in law enforcement, the military and the library were aware of the effectiveness of mixing martial arts, the only thing your version of mma does kid is give you a good place to watch fights, I don't need a pressure test lols, you go fight in an mma match if your so concerned about pressure.

I did hybrid systems. there was Zen do Kai in Australia. And it was ok.

But better martial artists are doing mma. You never got the top guys in their respective disciplines collaborating like they do now.

It is a much better refined idea. Than you tended to get previously.

By the way mma is making other arts better because of that collaboration new ideas are being integrated into traditional styles while traditional styles are being integrated into mma.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Where do you think the mental health issue lies?

How are you qualified to make a judgment?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did hybrid systems. there was Zen do Kai in Australia. And it was ok.

But better martial artists are doing mma. You never got the top guys in their respective disciplines collaborating like they do now.

It is a much better refined idea. Than you tended to get previously.

By the way mma is making other arts better because of that collaboration new ideas are being integrated into traditional styles while traditional styles are being integrated into mma.
It's not at all true that there was never the level of cross polination you see today. Stories abound of Bruce Lee, Ed Parker Sr, Chuck Norris, Gene LeBell, and many others training together and sharing information in the 60s and 70s. One difference from that training and mma is that they learned from, but didn't simply absorb, if that makes sense. Someone might learn a techniques or sequence, but they would still look like their core system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not at all true that there was never the level of cross polination you see today. Stories abound of Bruce Lee, Ed Parker Sr, Chuck Norris, Gene LeBell, and many others training together and sharing information in the 60s and 70s. One difference from that training and mma is that they learned from, but didn't simply absorb, if that makes sense. Someone might learn a techniques or sequence, but they would still look like their core system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What geographical area would that have consisted of?

Latest Discussions