Martial Talk's GMA Martial Arts Lineages

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. We wear a Gi. Many schools bow at the beginning or end of class.
If that's the extent of it, I'd consider it only marginally traditional. I think the gi has a practical use - it's something durable that can be used as part of the equipment (scarf holds, etc.), so the bow is the only part that's traditional, in my view. As you can see, it's a continuum for me, not a binary result.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure. We wear a Gi. Many schools bow at the beginning or end of class.

The etiquette (Bowing) has nothing to do with the arts. It's a modern form of Ogasawara reiho as taught to the emperor and then to the common people. Why do we bow in MA? It is what separates us from it being a gentlemanly pursuit rather than barbarism. Not my words. Common fact in a country that bows a lot.

A thick gi was originally taken from Japanese fireman's uniform as a robust/strong practice clothing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The etiquette (Bowing) has nothing to do with the arts. It's a modern form of Ogasawara reiho as taught to the emperor and then to the common people. Why do we bow in MA? It is what separates us from it being a gentlemanly pursuit rather than barbarism. Not my words. Common fact in a country that bows a lot.

A thick gi was originally taken from Japanese fireman's uniform as a robust/strong practice clothing.
The bow is, however, a cultural hold-over in arts that practice outside Japan. BJJ (as a separate system) has origins in South America, so the bow is a holdover from its Japanese roots. The same holds true for NGA, since we no longer have an active dojo in Japan. In both cases, we maintain a Japanese-style bow as a matter of tradition.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The bow is, however, a cultural hold-over in arts that practice outside Japan. BJJ (as a separate system) has origins in South America, so the bow is a holdover from its Japanese roots. The same holds true for NGA, since we no longer have an active dojo in Japan. In both cases, we maintain a Japanese-style bow as a matter of tradition.

Part of my job was teaching Japanese to bow and sit Teaching normal high school students M.A. as a once weekly subject it does not get much further than that.

Lol I still bow on the telephone to Japanese.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I understand the origins of both bowing and the Gi. I've heard explanations very much like yours above many times. And still... Why do people in an American BJJ school bow? Tradition. Because it's part of the gig. I don't have a lot of occasion to bow otherwise.

My point isn't to say BJJ is a traditional art. I don't think it is. My point is that legacy traditions don't make a style traditional.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the origins of both bowing and the Gi. I've heard explanations very much like yours above many times. And still... Why do people in an American BJJ school bow? Tradition. Because it's part of the gig. I don't have a lot of occasion to bow otherwise.

My point isn't to say BJJ is a traditional art. I don't think it is. My point is that legacy traditions don't make a style traditional.
Agreed. That's why I said it's marginally traditional. A school that does the same art but has abandoned the bow and practices no-gi would be less traditional by that same margin. NGA is more traditional (most schools maintain a shrine, use a formal bow, bow when entering, and use last names: "Mr. Seymour", and uses some more traditional training methods), and just does meet my notion of "traditional".

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IP Man - Bruce Lee - Dan Inosanto - My Guru (withheld for privacy).

On a side tangent Dan Inosanto - Ron Balicki - My Sifu (withheld for Privacy)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lol I still bow on the telephone to Japanese.

My wife & I do when passing each other in the hallway in our house!! Just the short 1/4 bow like on the phone. And **** you're right, I do bow on the phone with her. ****.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial Arts. Damn!

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study Isshinryu Karate, an Okinawan style. I am a third-generation student of the founder. Everyone who knows my sensei knows my lineage; no one else needs to know.

I was just at an Isshinryu tournament about a month ago in nj

golden rule tri state karate tournament

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about koryu, but I can respect that there are many reasons to learn an art. I have said in the past that I define traditional styles as those where the effectiveness of a technique is less important than how the technique is performed. nothing wrong with that at all. Doesn't mean a technique is ineffective. Rather, it means that efficacy isn't th number one concern.

I can easily imagine that a traditional art may value a faithful transmission of the entire system over all other concerns. There's no wrong or right in that. And in a style like this, lineage may matter a great deal, as it speaks to authenticity.

This is just one legit reason lineage matters.

I agree... You dont want to end up learning from a guy who "bought" his black belt... there are alot of them out there too

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing. Nothing wrong with posting who you got your credentials from.

Sure there is, everything I say online is a representation of me and my opinions at the time. I've got a lot of influences, and if I it is relevant to the discussion I will state who influenced a particular aspect.

If someone comes to my school and cares I'm happy to discuss it with them, but I'll be honest, someone that cares about lineage as much as you do is not likely to come into a MMA gym.

Latest Discussions