DVDs (UK)

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good place to buy martial arts DVDs, for inspiration and learning. I'm in the UK, I realise that I can buy DVDs online form all over the world, but I didn't want to get stung by buying a DVD that won't work on my machine.
Yes, I have searched but all i seem to get is either incredibly expensive DVDs, or fight DVDs. Any ideas?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for in particular? Amazon has a pretty wide selection.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wouldn't the answer depend on the art you study?

In general you want PAL format dvds, not NTSC. That usually means buying from European and Asian sources. Another option is to buy from sites that offer a download option if you enjoy watching video from a computer or portable device like a smartphone.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good place to buy martial arts DVDs, for inspiration and learning. I'm in the UK, I realise that I can buy DVDs online form all over the world, but I didn't want to get stung by buying a DVD that won't work on my machine.
Yes, I have searched but all i seem to get is either incredibly expensive DVDs, or fight DVDs. Any ideas?
Are there not any good teachers in your area?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of websites are switching to video downloads rather than actual DVDs, which helps with the whole not being able to play a disc in your home country. Of course, if you told us the sorts of things you are looking for, we could probably help you more.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, video downloads are actually the way to go! On my site, that is what sells very fast. Video downloads work across all borders and are easier. They are easier for the user and frankly easier for me. Heck some places, like what I use keep the video file for you on their site so you do not even have to put it on your computer. DVD's continue to sell just okay now a days as more an more people just want the video download.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No its not..... not if you compare it to Texas.....its smaller.....well.... ok it's still big... but...never mind.... :D

Please, do not ever compare us to Texas! :rolleyes:

OP
M

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, there are good teachers in my area. I'm interested in Kobudo - particularly Sai, Bo, Tonfa, Nunchaku, and Kama. Also Wado Ryu DVDs. I'm of a fairly open mind when it come to training, so I would also be interested in JuJutsu.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are good teachers in my area. I'm interested in Kobudo - particularly Sai, Bo, Tonfa, Nunchaku, and Kama. Also Wado Ryu DVDs. I'm of a fairly open mind when it come to training, so I would also be interested in JuJutsu.

You will find the katas of Wado Ryu on YouTube being done by the founder of the style, Ohtsuka Sensei.
is there a particular reason you want the videos? Are you planning on teaching yourself or just watching them out of interest?

OP
M

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reason for wanting weapons videos: - nobody seems to teach weapons in my area. At least not dedicated weekly sessions.
Reasons for wanting Wado vids: - this is what i love, while I'm learning wade from my sensei, and have seen stuff on youtube, I would like them for my own interest.
Other styles, like Jujutsu (or whatever you want to call it!), and ninjutsu I would be very interested in owning videos of for interest.
I'm talking about training videos, and historical videos too. Documentaries on the arts as well as training.
I would love to download videos to my computer, but I haven't come across any places that do this. If someone could direct me to a site, or tell me what to search in google, that would be great.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reason for wanting weapons videos: - nobody seems to teach weapons in my area. At least not dedicated weekly sessions.
Reasons for wanting Wado vids: - this is what i love, while I'm learning wade from my sensei, and have seen stuff on youtube, I would like them for my own interest.
Other styles, like Jujutsu (or whatever you want to call it!), and ninjutsu I would be very interested in owning videos of for interest.
I'm talking about training videos, and historical videos too. Documentaries on the arts as well as training.
I would love to download videos to my computer, but I haven't come across any places that do this. If someone could direct me to a site, or tell me what to search in google, that would be great.

From what I've seen (having done my own searching for staff training videos), there are quite a few places where you will find tutorials on individual weapons forms, just do a google search for them. The main problem is that for the most part, these videos assume you have a good understanding of the weapon before you watch the video. If you lack that basic knowledge and understanding then you will gain very little from the forms tutorials. Yes you will be able to copy the movements but you will only be able to learn the form at a very basic level, and wouldn't be able to apply any of it in combat.

There are very few places where you will find basic weapons video instruction to learn the weapons from scratch.

Latest Discussions