Kotegaeshi with a difference

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your opponent punches you, he has to put weight on his leading leg. You can either kick that knee, or sweep that leg. The opportunity will always be there.

If you are good at foot sweep, you can handle almost 80% of your problem. Some techniques are more useful than the other.

80% isn't everything. And I doubt a single technique (other than a straight punch) really fills that much. That sweep won't cover a tackle, shoot, kick from range, or someone whose footwork puts them in range before you can set the sweep. I like a foot sweep, but it's not that universal. If it were, we'd see competitions where the first move was a successful foot sweep over and over.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I don't know if everything works but most traditional Martial arts have the potential to work if the person practicing them has the skills needed... Aikido, Tai Chi, Wing Chun, Aiki-jutsu, you name it.
This is a dangerous argument, Ryback. How do you define "enough skill"? Someone with enough skill can successfully defend themselves with a saucepan of water. They'll need skill that's entirely unrelated to the saucepan of water, though.

And of course sparring or combative sports is not the way of the warrior so we don't measure Aikido in such a context...
I've never liked this argument. It's philosophical at best, and specious. What is "the way of the warrior", and who gets to define it? Some martial sports have a background in competition among soldiers during peacetime, and others have a background in people learning to defend themselves and testing their techniques against each other. Sparring is a training tool, and excluding it on philosophical basis is like deciding to leave out an ingredient from a cake because of the color of the box.

As for sparring or testing or experimenting with an aikidoka... Well, in another thread I saw a YouTube link of someone supposedly using Aikido to fight an MMA guy and completely failing.... So everyone's thoughts are probably "well, Aikido is useless against the MMA guy", but....the fact of the matter is that the aikidoka is lousy in his Aikido. In the whole video his posture is bad, his movements very far away from the Aikido way of moving and, to make matters worse, he is not trying a single Aikido technique, anything!! He looks like he is going for his legs or doing other lousy, monkey mumbo jumbo and he is claiming to be doing aikido.
If you're talking about the one I'm thinking of, you've missed everything important in it - including what the Aikidoka said. It's never going to be useful to try classical Aikido movement against a boxer, and rarely so against a Muay Thai fighter (those being the most common stand-up fighting bases in MMA).
And by the way, I think we should stop trying to decipher what o'sensei wanted, what o'sensei said because o'sensei was saying a lot of things, mostly in Japanese, a long time ago and maybe he was changing his mind every other day. So to claim that o'sensei wanted Aikido to be a supplement of other martial arts skills is at least naive...
This conclusion was drawn by some folks with a lot more insight and experience into the art than either of us. Aikido's culture is to try to follow Ueshiba's teaching. That includes trying to figure out why he made some decisions. Without that, it's just a religion.

And remember as you read this, I actually kinda like Aikido. But you're breaking out the weakest arguments. Understand the limitations of the art, and it can serve you much better. Defend it blindly with rationalization, and you won't be aware of its or your limitations.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think people have a real grasp on how fast a real punch comes at you. Whether it is sloppy and telegraphed or not.
I am going to have to explain this hard truth. If you get your friend, put a set of 16s on him and get him to hit you. He is easier to deal with than a guy trying to kill you.

So if your technique doesnt work against your friend throwing casual punches. Do not assume it will work when they start thowing 100%

Forwards momentum at speed is not working to your advantage. If you can't handle that dynamic at half speed.

So people get punched by sloppy punches because even though they are terrible and telegraphed. They are still coming too fast to deal with properly.

Aikido doesnt work at half speed because they are trying to squeeze too much crap in to to short a time frame.
I mostly agree. The only part I disagree with is, "They are still coming too fast to deal with properly." People deal with punches all the time, sometimes quite properly. As ND has often said, it won't be classical Aikido (what I call "dojo Aikido", which focuses on flow and feel), but Aikido can deal with these. The skill needed includes - which I think you're getting at - the ability to recognize and move with a punch. If someone can do a slip on a punch, they're halfway to accessing Aikido techniques (the other half is knowing the techniques).

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way of the warrior is I agree a very very dangerous ground to even step on far less to try and define or put in a place,

I would suggest that at best most of us are striving on our own paths but as warriors well that I would never say

And yes Ueshiba's later teachings are not the easiest to get a grip on but maybe that is what he intended to make people strive and study and evaluate their entire time and life in search of what he meant.

A bit like the search for the holy grail lol

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok this is not kotegaeshi but it is against an clinch ...it is not classical Aikido but it still uses the principles of Aikido

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is still choreography.

The fact is, without pressure testing, the best you can do is HOPE this works.

I’m not expert in this but have a feeling this would plant the clinchers face into the floor if they didn’t roll with it. Is it dependent on grabbing sleeves? I think slipping off the arm is the biggest risk.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is still choreography.

The fact is, without pressure testing, the best you can do is HOPE this works.

I really do not know why you even bother to post lol as every vid or post gets the same response and then mostly you go on to and have done to slang of recognised shihan etc ...even the vid you did post you obviously had no idea at all that what you were posting was Tomiki Aikido or if you want it precise Shodokan Aikido so why bother why bother at all why not just put anything Aikido related on ignore lol

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m not expert in this but have a feeling this would plant the clinchers face into the floor if they didn’t roll with it. Is it dependent on grabbing sleeves? I think slipping off the arm is the biggest risk.

yup the uke knows how to take the breakfall and knows ukemi ...hence it look a bit diff if same move was used on someone who doesn't know

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yup the uke knows how to take the breakfall and knows ukemi ...hence it look a bit diff if same move was used on someone who doesn't know

I feel like it would look like someone clapping with the back of their head and spine as their face gets driven to the ground. I feel like I’ve seen this kind of movement in a UFC fight and it was awful.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok this is not kotegaeshi but it is against an clinch ...it is not classical Aikido but it still uses the principles of Aikido

i am going to go back to my analogy of flying with dino feathers. this technique looks like it will work. it actually looks really good and maybe it will work with an unskilled person. but again there are missing factors when we imagine how this will work in our minds. the missing factor i see is that the uke is doing a horrible clinch. he is not controlling the head or body. i went and looked at some Muay Thai videos for comparison and after analyzing the clinch a little more i think the uke is giving too much freedom for Nage to move around. it makes me wonder if the clinch was tighter could Nage actually do the throw. pressure testing is so important but it has to have the correct parameters.
so perhaps the technique will work but the details need to be worked out other wise the nage will never fully understand if what he is doing works.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel like it would look like someone clapping with the back of their head and spine as their face gets driven to the ground. I feel like I’ve seen this kind of movement in a UFC fight and it was awful.

not exactly but close

it looks way more flowery as the uke knows one what coming and two can take a break fall and knows ukemi

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try this out, but I think you're spot on with both points. Techniques like that do have that risk of face-planting. Heck, look for videos of drop seoi nage in Judo competition - even those folks sometimes get an ugly landing out of it. It's a strength and weakness for sutemi waza - there's very little control once you get going, because you commit your whole weight into it. As for the grip, it probably can be done on skin, but sweaty skin would be a problem. I'm sure I can do it without the sleeve grab, so long as the fabric is there to provide grip. Offhand, I'm not sure about doing it without the fabric. It might be possible to get enough purchase in the crook of the elbow to at least get them into a full stumble (sufficient for the purpose, and should provide other opportunities, if only to get up), but I'd need to try it out.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to try this out, but I think you're spot on with both points. Techniques like that do have that risk of face-planting. Heck, look for videos of drop seoi nage in Judo competition - even those folks sometimes get an ugly landing out of it. It's a strength and weakness for sutemi waza - there's very little control once you get going, because you commit your whole weight into it. As for the grip, it probably can be done on skin, but sweaty skin would be a problem. I'm sure I can do it without the sleeve grab, so long as the fabric is there to provide grip. Offhand, I'm not sure about doing it without the fabric. It might be possible to get enough purchase in the crook of the elbow to at least get them into a full stumble (sufficient for the purpose, and should provide other opportunities, if only to get up), but I'd need to try it out.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i am going to go back to my analogy of flying with dino feathers. this technique looks like it will work. it actually looks really good and maybe it will work with an unskilled person. but again there are missing factors when we imagine how this will work in our minds. the missing factor i see is that the uke is doing a horrible clinch. he is not controlling the head or body. i went and looked at some Muay Thai videos for comparison and after analyzing the clinch a little more i think the uke is giving too much freedom for Nage to move around. it makes me wonder if the clinch was tighter could Nage actually do the throw. pressure testing is so important but it has to have the correct parameters.
so perhaps the technique will work but the details need to be worked out other wise the nage will never fully understand if what he is doing works.

I get your point however to actually get a Thai fighter to actually perform as nage well i am not sure on as if it was performed and the uke doesn't or can't take the breakfall or knows how to take ukemi then well it might kinda hurt a person

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Make sure your uke knows how to breakfall and take ukemi and ummm his insurance up to date just in case lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do not know why you even bother to post lol as every vid or post gets the same response and then mostly you go on to and have done to slang of recognised shihan etc ...even the vid you did post you obviously had no idea at all that what you were posting was Tomiki Aikido or if you want it precise Shodokan Aikido so why bother why bother at all why not just put anything Aikido related on ignore lol
ND, he's actually making a valid point. Without pressure testing, there's a lot that seems feasible that has big problems. I find that classical training sometimes (perhaps most often) ignores what I call the "failure mode" of a technique: what happens when it fails, and how likely is it to fail. That sutemi waza response from the clinch is a good answer, if the failure mode isn't too dangerous. So, what happens if you fail at that? There are two likely "failure" outcomes: they only stumble badly (not a bad failure mode, probably), or you slip off and end up at their feet (very bad failure mode). How likely are those? It takes some testing, including someone trying to do stuff from clinch and nage trying to pull this off (among other possible responses). Sometimes, uke knowing what's coming makes things harder to do (uke consciously or unconsciously counters the exact move they know is coming), and sometimes it makes them easier to do (uke sometimes unconsciously just starts too early into the fall). This is why, when demonstrating in class, I often only instruct the attack, and don't tell them what response I'm bringing the first time. Not a full solution, but part of one.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess the point I am trying to make is that with tweaking and nudging and perseverance Aikido does work and can work (Classical Aikido doesn't for the most part )

If lateral thinking is applied then tweaked well the results may surprise.

You will never get a Aikidoka into a MMA ring of cage fight as one they are not trained for it and two for the most part they ain't nuts to think they are lol

Latest Discussions