• CKF

• Indepenent

• NOT LISTED

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by GouRonin

Why is it the AKKI, and the IKKA and a few other organizations have it in their mandate to NOT allow their members to be members of OTHER kenpo organizations?
:confused:

Very good question! Why is that??:confused:

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gou,
I'm having a difficult time finding that mandate in the AKKI handbook of do's and don'ts. What page did you find it on?

As for myself not WANTING to join another association, well, I guess I'm just loyal to the AKKI. These guys hit and move the way I want to and I have no reason to go anywhere else. If there's someone I want to take a seminar with, that option is available unless there is another mandate that I'm unaware of.

Mace

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Why is it the AKKI, and the IKKA and a few other organizations have it in their mandate to NOT allow their members to be members of OTHER kenpo organizations?

Gou,

I've been a member of the AKKi since it's inception, and no-one has ever told me that I can't be a member of anything else.

The thing is, if an Association is giving you what you want, why would you want to be in another?

When I can, I attend seminars put on by other associations, and no-one says I shouldn't go to them. If fact, if I mention to Mr Paul Mills that I'm going to a seminar with such and such an instructor, he sometimes has an interesting story to tell about that person, and ALWAYS asks me to pass on his best regards.

Les

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Les

[B

If fact, if I mention to Mr Paul Mills that I'm going to a seminar with such and such an instructor, he sometimes has an interesting story to tell about that person, and ALWAYS asks me to pass on his best regards.

Les [/B]

Thats the way it should be! Its shouldnt be a "that guy sucks" thing...Everyone has their strengths and its nice to be exposed to as many aspects of the art as possible...I think we all have something to learn from each other..I think its getting to be that way now and I like that.

OP
G

GouRonin

Next time you speak with Mr. Mills make sure you tell him that you are joining another association as well as the AKKI.
:rolleyes:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

Any example of one that isn't that way is the OAKKA, under Dave Hebler...

4. Exclusive Membership: OAKKA does not require that its members belong exclusively to OAKKA. We encourage the support of all worthy Kenpo organizations.

http://www.oakka.com/mission4.html

OP
M

meni

organizations are afraid that you will see :

1. How bad they are
2.what are missing?
3.that the fees are too high
4.that you perhaps have some questions
5. That your instructors aren’t always accurate
And so on and so forth!

M

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by jbkenpo
Any example of one that isn't that way is the OAKKA, under Dave Hebler...

Dave Hebler RAwKs!

I LoooOOOoooove that guy!

:boing1: :boing2: :boing1:

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by meni

1. How bad they are
2.what are missing?
And so on and so forth!

M

I have to totally agree with that. I believe the same thing.

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by jeffkyle

I have to totally agree with that. I believe the same thing.

And the funny thing that most people (except Gou) don’t even complain about it, it became part of the cost of learning any art
Come in and pay more!

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1. How bad they are
2.what are missing?
And so on and so forth!

M

Or perhaps more likely that

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other."
Matthew 6:24

I mean, if you are a member of an organization that supports you with training and so on, and you support them with your membership and feedback, then how can you serve two organizations equally?

Can you be a member of two churches? Does your teacher let you study another art (particularly before Black Belt when you might have more time on your hands to experiment with other material)? Do you work 2 jobs? Do you have 2 girlfriends?

Think about it. It is not impossible to do these things, but it is more likely that you will be successful when you are focused on what you are doing.

Now, if you are just bleeding your organization and not giving anything back to them, then sure, why not bleed more than one. If you are in a healthy relationship then you should not need to be in two organizations.

I admit I am spoiled. While I can not join another Kenpo organization I can go to pretty much any tournament, seminar, school, function or whatever I want to so long as I continue training regularly at my school.

I am also allowed and encouraged to speak up and provide feedback to my Association on my thoughts and ideas, but it is only feedback, I don't run the place.

If you are in a good situation then you should be happy where you are, if investigation reveals that you are being denied something you want or need then you might have a good reason to leave. But otherwise I think the concept of supporting an organization is in oppposition to you belonging to more than one.

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by cdhall

Can you be a member of two churches? Does your teacher let you study another art (particularly before Black Belt when you might have more time on your hands to experiment with other material)? Do you work 2 jobs? Do you have 2 girlfriends?

i I beg the differ
There is a big different, what happened if one of the Churches\in my case synagogues or jobs can offer you more then only one perspective
(I’m not going to bring up 2 girlfriends)
What happens if once a year a great pastor/rabbi/leader/speaker comes to town and five a great sermon maybe about only one specific issue are you a traitor by leasing to him/her?
Or maybe you try to explore and expand your mind
I don’t see the problem with exposure to other are

In kenpo it's the same specifically with the firs generation of student of Mr. parker each one have is own personal perspective about the man the art the way the techniques list and so on
Don’t see what so wrong and especially when the organizations have a camp the usually do bring deferent people from the deferent organization to speak!

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

Or perhaps more likely that

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other."
Matthew 6:24

I mean, if you are a member of an organization that supports you with training and so on, and you support them with your membership and feedback, then how can you serve two organizations equally?

Think about it. It is not impossible to do these things, but it is more likely that you will be successful when you are focused on what you are doing.

Now, if you are just bleeding your organization and not giving anything back to them, then sure, why not bleed more than one. If you are in a healthy relationship then you should not need to be in two organizations.

I admit I am spoiled. While I can not join another Kenpo organization I can go to pretty much any tournament, seminar, school, function or whatever I want to so long as I continue training regularly at my school.

I am also allowed and encouraged to speak up and provide feedback to my Association on my thoughts and ideas, but it is only feedback, I don't run the place.

If you are in a good situation then you should be happy where you are, if investigation reveals that you are being denied something you want or need then you might have a good reason to leave. But otherwise I think the concept of supporting an organization is in oppposition to you belonging to more than one.

I guess my only comments would be the religious references are unnecessary and somewhat disturbing. Why misuse the good book simply to make a point on the martial arts, of all things? The one true master of this system passed in December 1990, God rest his soul.

Some people do have 2 jobs (particularly in today's economy) and I can't speak to the girlfriend thing (5 yrs happily married). The question is why are WE so quick to shoot something down and dismiss it as wrong because it's not the way YOU do it.

If someone said, "well, why are you (the generic you) a member of the AKSC and your organization" the answer (or excuse) would be, "well, that's different". And it always is when judgemental people are questioned about THEIR choices. I'm not speaking directly of you Doug, I consider you a friend, hell, I invited you to stay with me when your down here in December. But someone has to speak to the dangerous trend of Kenpo people assuming that their Kenpo Journey is the only way, otherwise it must be wrong.

Respectfully, jb:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I can't speak to the girlfriend thing (5 yrs happily married).

Respectfully, jb

I can also boast 5 yrs of happy marriage.

We were married for 13 years, but we had 5 happy ones.

Les

OP
G

GouRonin

And the funny thing that most people (except Gou) don’t even complain about it, it became part of the cost of learning any art
Come in and pay more!

You know, in the old days philosophers would go to their places of work and stand and discuss their thoughts with students. The students would come to listen. The teachers would then take the results of the day and meet with the other teachers and discuss the outcome.

The teachers often would use outright bribery to get students to listen to them and go to their classes so competition was tight for students. Yet at the end of the day the teachers would all meet and work together, hoping their combined knowledge would keep them ahead of their students.

In secret, the students were also meeting, although they were not supposed to. Soon, the students were not only on the same level as the teachers but were surpassing them in ways the teachers never imagined.

The teachers at first thought to keep them down but it was soon apparent that this was a futile idea. So they banded together to offer themselves to the student bodies as a whole. Offering classes that students could pick and choose from at will. They could get a solid foundation and then branch off in any direction of study they wanted but would always have access to the different departments of thought.

These places were often said to contain all the known thoughts and ideas of the then known universe and there were a few of these places around the world. So they called these places "universities."

...and now you know...the rest of the story.

OP
B

brianhunter

WOW Gou...brilliant concept when you think about it.... maybe money has ruined another great thing for the world.

OP
M

meni

These places were often said to contain all the known thoughts and ideas of the then known universe and there were a few of these places around the world. So they called these places "universities."

So now we can call Gou "professor" :)

OP
J

jeffkyle

You know, in the old days philosophers would go to their places of work and stand and discuss their thoughts with students. The students would come to listen. The teachers would then take the results of the day and meet with the other teachers and discuss the outcome.

The teachers often would use outright bribery to get students to listen to them and go to their classes so competition was tight for students. Yet at the end of the day the teachers would all meet and work together, hoping their combined knowledge would keep them ahead of their students.

In secret, the students were also meeting, although they were not supposed to. Soon, the students were not only on the same level as the teachers but were surpassing them in ways the teachers never imagined.

The teachers at first thought to keep them down but it was soon apparent that this was a futile idea. So they banded together to offer themselves to the student bodies as a whole. Offering classes that students could pick and choose from at will. They could get a solid foundation and then branch off in any direction of study they wanted but would always have access to the different departments of thought.

Where did you get this story from??? Show me the "money"! :D

OP
J

jeffkyle

Some people do have 2 jobs (particularly in today's economy) and I can't speak to the girlfriend thing (5 yrs happily married). The question is why are WE so quick to shoot something down and dismiss it as wrong because it's not the way YOU do it.

Respectfully, jb:asian: [/B]

Good question. I thought Kenpo was all about accepting differences in the Martial Arts, as long as the concept behind whatever it is works. :)

Latest Discussions