• AKKS

• CKF

• Indepenent

• NOT LISTED

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look, I go visit my folks for the weekend and come back and I find my "Friends" saying this about me...
quote: Originally posted by JD_Nelson
So shall I shut up?

Just Jokin...
I know I say a lot! Too much probably.
That's OK.
Least I don't keep you gussing.

Your Brother
John

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by meni
So now we can call Gou "professor

Awwww...gee, thanx.

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
OH Please... Let's not get carried away with this.

Hey, nobody likes to see professional jealousy mister!
:shrug:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John is my instructor so I let him do most of the talking!!
There...

About this whole Joining more than one association thing...
why would you want to????

I love Kenpo. I really do. I want to do as much with it as I can (hope to be a full time instructor some day, for now...part timer). I believe in the rifle approach rather than the shotgun. I FOCUS on the AKKI. I love to trade ideas and such with others from other branches of Kenpo Karate, but my training and thought is bent on the curriculum that's been shared with me in the AKKI. To split my focus is to divide my forward motion. If the curriculums were more similar maybe it would be different..maybe. But Mr. Mills has made sufficient changes to the art and it's instruction that to study a different branch would slow my progress and growth in the one I am in. Sure it would give me insights and such, no issue there. But I'm currently digging deeper into what I have. Believe me, I've got enough on my Kenpo plate being in ONE association!!
Others can do what they want.
Honestly I'm not certain about the whole "Can a person in the AKKI belong to other associations" issue.
I just don't see why I'd want to join more than one. I see tons of benefit w/in the one I'm already active in.

Just a thought.
Also: Some guys here seems to be getting insulting about other associations and branches of Kenpo. That's a shame. It's why I don't go to other sites/forums as much. Was hoping to get away from such childishness here.

Your Brother
John

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Brother John

Why would you not want to?

I believe in the rifle approach rather than the shotgun. I FOCUS on the AKKI. I love to trade ideas and such with others from other branches of Kenpo Karate, but my training and thought is bent on the curriculum that's been shared with me in the AKKI. To split my focus is to divide my forward motion. If the curriculums were more similar maybe it would be different..maybe. But Mr. Mills has made sufficient changes to the art and it's instruction that to study a different branch would slow my progress and growth in the one I am in. Sure it would give me insights and such, no issue there. But I'm currently digging deeper into what I have. Believe me, I've got enough on my Kenpo plate being in ONE association!!

Your opinion is this and that's great. If you've found what you're looking for and you're happy then stick with it and keep at it. All the best to you.

Your answer that there have been enough changes etc to warrant not bothering to look into other associations is a valid one, at least I think it is.

Which is what most people do anyway.

Just a thought.
Also: Some guys here seems to be getting insulting about other associations and branches of Kenpo. That's a shame. It's why I don't go to other sites/forums as much. Was hoping to get away from such childishness here.

I disagree. I have seen nothing petty at all regarding this issue. It's being discussed with a great deal more level headedness and decorum than anywhere else I have seen. Perhaps I am not seeing it but if it is please point it out.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

There...

I love Kenpo. I really do. I want to do as much with it as I can (hope to be a full time instructor some day, for now...part timer). I believe in the rifle approach rather than the shotgun. I FOCUS on the AKKI. I love to trade ideas and such with others from other branches of Kenpo Karate, but my training and thought is bent on the curriculum that's been shared with me in the AKKI. To split my focus is to divide my forward motion. If the curriculums were more similar maybe it would be different..maybe. But Mr. Mills has made sufficient changes to the art and it's instruction that to study a different branch would slow my progress and growth in the one I am in. Sure it would give me insights and such, no issue there. But I'm currently digging deeper into what I have. Believe me, I've got enough on my Kenpo plate being in ONE association!!
Honestly I'm not certain about the whole "Can a person in the AKKI belong to other associations" issue.
I just don't see why I'd want to join more than one. I see tons of benefit w/in the one I'm already active in.

Just a thought.

Your Brother
John

John,

I definitely see where you coming from, but once again your journey isn't everyone elses journey. Many will choose not to participate in such a modified Parker curriculum, and do consider it blasphemy. But seeing Mr. Mills in action on tape I see why no one is squaking too loud. The man can bring it, I have to give him that.

I'm not one of those guys that are all about, "whatever floats your boat". That's not my thing. But I respect the fact that, that is your thing. Particularly if your situation warrants it.

If I hear my brother(sister) saying something that I think is limiting in his (her) perspective, or that doesn't really represent just how good of a person they really are, then I'm going to say something if I care anything about them. Does that mean I don't like them anymore? No, just that I love them and the system enough to say something. That said I'll quote Mr. Trejo and say, "I know when to keep my mouth shut" as well. But if I really care I'll say something. If I don't care about them, I won't say a word....that's the Kenpo way.

jb:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would you not want to?
Well, like you said, I'm very satisfied with what I am learning and doing in the AKKI. I'm sticking with it and keeping at it, just like you said. It's not that other branches of Kenpo are wrong or bad or worse or anything... I'm just completely happy with what's on my plate - so why go for seconds when I haven't finished my 'firsts'? That's all I'm saying.

I disagree. I have seen nothing petty at all regarding this issue. It's being discussed with a great deal more level headedness and decorum than anywhere else I have seen. Perhaps I am not seeing it but if it is please point it out.

Let me show you what I was getting at:
Meni, in response to a question about why the akki or ikka, and such organizations, prohibit dual membership, said that they would be afraid you'd see:
1. How bad they are
2.what are missing?
3.that the fees are too high
4.that you perhaps have some questions
5. That your instructors aren’t always accurate
And so on and so forth!

So, if it is taken that the answer was suited to the question, then it was indicated that perhaps the akki or ikka were 'afraid' of these things from their members. Would you want these claimed of the group that you are loyal to? (that's a question for anyone, not just my friend Gou) This list and it's implications do seem to me to be petty and beneath the usually high standards of my brother's, such as Meni.
Others jumped on board with this:

I have to totally agree with that. I believe the same thing.

Look, I don't want to start OR join in with anything that boils the water, but it did seem that the AKKI, along with it's parent organization, was being put down.
thanks for hearing me out...
Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey man,
I'll get right to it...:asian:
Many will choose not to participate in such a modified Parker curriculum, and do consider it blasphemy.
yes, some will see it like this, but I'd pose to these persons that they probably don't really fully grasp Mr. Parker's intentions in the creation of his curriculum. He didn't create a system for the students to serve, but a system to serve the students. He was all about change, and the most maliable thing to change was the curriculum. Something he did with many of his students is to teach them to change, make changes, inovate and create. Mr. Mills has gone on to do exactly as he feels his instructor taught him to do and wanted him to do. Pretty simple. As it's said: "If you wish to revere a man, don't seek to walk in his footsteps; rather seek what he saught." What he always saught was a better Kenpo, a better way to think about it and a better way to do it...and especially a better curriculum. And that has been Mr. Mills passion; as well as other of Mr. Parker's students. Some have traditionalized Kenpo. That's their choice, I've got no problem with it... but it doesn't seem to be Mr. Parker's desire.

But seeing Mr. Mills in action on tape I see why no one is squaking too loud. The man can bring it, I have to give him that.
OH MAN can he Bring IT!!! OUCH. But the thing that can't be conveyed by any video is that he can pass IT along to others quite well too. More than being able to execute Kenpo well, he is a masterful teacher and leader as well.

If I hear my brother(sister) saying something that I think is limiting in his (her) perspective, or that doesn't really represent just how good of a person they really are, then I'm going to say something if I care anything about them.

I gotta admit man, I don't see what you are getting at here....
Oh well. Maybe you are just saying you have a good heart.
OK...
Your Brother
John

OP
M

meni

Let me show you what I was getting at:
Meni, in response to a question about why the akki or ikka, and such organizations, prohibit dual membership, said that they would be afraid you'd see:
1. How bad they are
2.what are missing?
3.that the fees are too high
4.that you perhaps have some questions
5. That your instructors aren’t always accurate
And so on and so forth!

So, if it is taken that the answer was suited to the question, then it was indicated that perhaps the akki or ikka were 'afraid' of these things from their members. Would you want these claimed of the group that you are loyal to? (that's a question for anyone, not just my friend Gou) This list and it's implications do seem to me to be petty and beneath the usually high standards of my brother's, such as Meni.

No no no absolutely not in any way shape or form I intend to offend any organization or members of thoes organizations

I talk about the general consensus of most people not to ask any question not to compare quality, linage, curriculum, cost, and so and so fort just follow the leader with a big MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
And it’s not only about martial arts but it surly clearly cut in our case

In my opinion a student of kenpo (if not all arts) have to ask more questions just because this is a huge part of Ed parker's tradition

So go ask!

OP
J

jeffkyle

Others jumped on board with this:

Look, I don't want to start OR join in with anything that boils the water, but it did seem that the AKKI, along with it's parent organization, was being put down.
thanks for hearing me out...
Your Brother
John [/B]

Sorry John...I didn't mean anything toward you or AKKI! I guess i was thinking outloud! And probably shouldn't have posted that. Sorry man!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry John...I didn't mean anything toward you or AKKI! I guess i was thinking outloud! And probably shouldn't have posted that. Sorry man!
I know you weren't meaning to be rude.
Honestly, when I met you I knew you were a good person.

Your Brother
John

and now, as Elfan said:
back to your regularly scheduled poll.

OP
M

meni

and now, as Elfan said:
back to your regularly scheduled poll.
By the way how many organizations are out there?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now the better question.......... It's not "how many" but rather how many "good" associations are out there.

Answer ........ very few!

:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Now the better question.......... It's not "how many" but rather how many "good" associations are out there.

Answer ........ very few!

:asian:

I'm good, and I have Dc's, Tess, and Seigs endorsements!;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I'm good, and I have Dc's, Tess, and Seigs endorsements!;)

hee hee (little does he know of our diabolical plan) Yes - Yes endorsements for Ricardo......

Muuuuuha haa haahahaaaaaaaaaa

divide and conquer...

Ricardo> :uhohh: :shooter:

Latest Discussions