• The student

• Both

• Doesn't matter I don't believe in Associations

Results are only viewable after voting.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There should be a head(s) of a governing association. This will set a specific standard of kenpo from whoever is involved in that particular association. There would be no questions about this guys is such and such a rank. Or even better yet I know more than so & so and he's higher than me. An association body will stop all of the b.s. as well as the "good 'ole boy" stuff. If an individual passing the requirements for a test in front of x amount of people on the board then by all means they can wear that rank.
Jason Farnsworth

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

There should be a head(s) of a governing association. This will set a specific standard of kenpo from whoever is involved in that particular association. There would be no questions about this guys is such and such a rank. Or even better yet I know more than so & so and he's higher than me. An association body will stop all of the b.s. as well as the "good 'ole boy" stuff. If an individual passing the requirements for a test in front of x amount of people on the board then by all means they can wear that rank.
Jason Farnsworth

But who watches the watchers???

Dan

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Sigung86

But who watches the watchers???

Dan

Exactly! A lot of guys can bully or run a "Board Decision" based on who they are or what they have done... Just because it was by majority vote does not mean its what should have been done. People will be people I guess.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Jason Farnsworth

Well, that's how we do it in our association. We like to get together outside the studio for parties and what not and it's never mattered who eats first, rank doesn't play into that off the mats. We know we have one Chief Instructor that we get our rank from and alot of our knowledge, though he puts us on the path of self-discovery most of the time with his unending patience for our ignorance. We all call each other by our first names, except on the mats, when it's Yessir and Nossir, and get along marvleously. I'd say we have one of the most harmonious associations I've been in. I would say our association benefits both the head of the association and it's members.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Well, that's how we do it in our association. We like to get together outside the studio for parties and what not and it's never mattered who eats first, rank doesn't play into that off the mats. We know we have one Chief Instructor that we get our rank from and alot of our knowledge, though he puts us on the path of self-discovery most of the time with his unending patience for our ignorance. We all call each other by our first names, except on the mats, when it's Yessir and Nossir, and get along marvleously. I'd say we have one of the most harmonious associations I've been in. I would say our association benefits both the head of the association and it's members.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde,
That's the way it should be. At least through my eyes.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
R

RCastillo

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I like what Clyde has to say about his organization! I can't say I've been treated wrong in mine. So far, so good!:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
When dealing with associations who should benefit?

Both must benefit!.... if it is to be successful. That's why Mr. Parker was a consultant most of the time. LOL.... he was constantly asked to help with non-kenpo issues that popped up in the studios all the time, many called him to ask for his advice. Of course there was the instructional part of the Art as well, and the bond between the instructor and student to assist each other when needed. I was always there from Arizona, (with and Army of students) at the Long Beach Internationals to help Mr. Parker with anything he needed me to do (local instructors seemed to just show up to show off thier new belt stripes) .... from taping the floors, to judge to help with trophies to competition! We always helped him, as well as send in all our association dues and test fees to show him support for the knowledge he released to us. It was a great relationship to say the least.

:asian:

OP
R

Ronin

Taping the floor for the internationals....oh man I remember those days. I've always felt the need to call any high ranking kenpoist as Sir or Mr. The mild little traditions like waiting for the head instructor to eat before I do never bothered me at all. I never in my experience thought any "old school kenpo seniors" abused or felt "Godlike" doing things that way. They've always felt humbled in away. As for the first name calling I honestly can say in the 20 years I've been with Mr. Conatser I never once called him Dennis or refered to Mr. Parker as Ed. Man the brutal beating I would endur would be too much! I'ts just my form of respect to the kenpo elders. I can imagine the only time I would call someone by their first name is if we were "kenpo brothers" brought up in the ranks together. Even then during class or any other kenpo function they'd be called Mr. or Mrs. Some people in my opinion, could mistake the friendliness of this computer lifestyle, where many of us call each other by our first names and confuse it and possibly ignore the respect aspect. I hope they don't go up to Mr. Kelly or Mr. Labounty and call them Tom or Steve just cause they talk to them on a computer. I think respect and traditon is important. Rules should be followed. Perhaps thats why there are so many "independant kenpoists " out there because they dont like certain rules. They should show respect towards the elders for passing onto them the kenpo knowledge they have. To me I would gladly wait for Mr. Conatser or Mr. Labounty to eat before I just to show respect and thanks for teaching me the art and allowing me to eat with them as well. Again just my humble ramblings.

OP
R

RCastillo

I tried to eat first before Mr. Conatser, I caught a fork though my hand. :eek:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Alright what benefits should an association have for its members and what should the members be doing for the association other than paying dues. I have seen too many associations that want your money, have a bunch of rules that impose their rules and give nothingin return?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Alright what benefits should an association have for its members and what should the members be doing for the association other than paying dues. I have seen too many associations that want your money, have a bunch of rules that impose their rules and give nothingin return?

Probably most important, to make sure they are accessible to all their members! Everybody counts, from the lowest on up!:asian:

OP
B

brianhunter

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I agree. I think on the matt it yould be yes sir, no sir. Off the matt you can respect what that person wishes to be addressed as....I met Clyde called him Mr. O'Bryant he said NO call me Clyde, thats not disrespectful he asked me to adress him that way. Sometimes people look at that from the outside and see it as disrespect when in fact its the exact opposite.
my grandpa used to slap me around if i did not call an elder or senior sir or mister and i still do it untill told otherwise even people i encounter on the streets....so calling clyde, clyde is not disrespectful...im respecting his wishes. Respect should extent off the matt, I am sure it is done in different ways, Everyone has different ideas of how it is done.
i never have understood the waiting to eat, i have done it when I have had to respecting others wishes, and to me I have never understood how it defines or exudes respect, If my kids eat before me they are not disrespecting me as the head of the house, they where hungry and I would not make them wait for me honestly to me that is selfishness towards my children not a sign of respect.
When I eat with my friends or my family there are 2 kinds of eaters...the quick and the dead! I honestly dont think it should be any other way Im just happy my family can sit down at the table together with no tv as a family when my friends eat over its the same way to me thats respect...for that I am thankful

OP
J

jeffkyle

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I totally agree with Clyde. And if both sides give totally to each other then nothing but great things can come out of that relationship. On the mat it should be yes sir and no sir, but when out in the real world and enjoying life respect can still be shown whether calling someone by their first name or not, especially if they want you to call them by their first name. I show my friends respect all the time, and still call them by their first name. Just because someone has more knowledge about a subject than i do doesn't make them a better person than me, or above me in any way. They just have something that I can learn from them.
When it comes down to it we all live and die the same way.....
God made MAN....Smith and Wesson made them EQUAL!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

or the Right Reverend Bob!

:rofl:

Gimmeee Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Right Reverend BoB ... Using Saintly Uncle Dan's compuker!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The different protocol structures are left up entirely to the head of any given organization. Many of these have been passed down historically, yet others are new. What is required for one organization is not necessarily the same for another. When in Rome.........

Originally posted by brianhunter
I think on or off the matt it yould be yes sir, no sir.

And if that is what your studio or organization requires that is great, I'll remember that if I visit.

Sometimes when addressing some people "off" the matt as "Mr." it looks from the outside to those that see it as disrespect when in fact its the exact opposite.

I would disagree.......... but if the person does not like it they should or will tell you, and then you can respect their wishes.

Respect should extend off the matt, I am sure it is done in different ways, Everyone has different ideas of how it is done.

I agree, so you need to respect the persons wishes just as you do for the type of person above.

I never have understood the waiting to eat thing, I have done it when I have had to respecting others wishes, and to me I have never understood how it defines or exudes respect.

The root to this custom goes back to Mr. LaBounty and his clan. In olden times (Colonial America) and in some very respectful family circles (LaBounty features members of his group as a family) the group waits for the Father to come in from the fields and eat dinner (that the wife and children have prepared). prayer is given and then everyone eats after the head of the household. It is a custom he likes and has adopted for his group. Through camps and other events "outsiders" or guests have seen and some criticize this event. Well, again, as I follow your rules in your house it is "polite" to follow his rules when in his house........ No one expects you to adopt these customs unless you fall under LaBounty or any of his students (Tom Kelly)customs. I hope that explains well enough.

If my kids eat before me they are not disrespecting me as the head of the house, they where hungry and I would not make them wait for me honestly to me that is selfishness towards my children not a sign of respect.

When I eat with my friends or my family there are 2 kinds of eaters...the quick and the dead! I honestly don't think it should be any other way I'm just happy my family can sit down at the table together with no TV as a family when my friends eat over its the same way to me that's respect...for that I am thankful

And in today's culture you are not alone....... many, many feel the same way...... I don't do this at my house either on a daily basis, but Please, thank you , and other manners are stressed. Each has a right to teach, train and expose their personal families the way they see fit...... this is still America.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

The different protocol structures are left up entirely to the head of any given organization. Many of these have been passed down historically, yet others are new. What is required for one organization is not necessarily the same for another. When in Rome.........

And in today's culture you are not alone....... many, many feel the same way...... I don't do this at my house either on a daily basis, but Please, thank you , and other manners are stressed. Each has a right to teach, train and expose their personal families the way they see fit...... this is still America.

Just out of curiosity I have read Mr. Parker used to really like chinese and eating (his culture i guess) did he have any eating customs or rules you guys who where close to him used to have to follow? as too the sir thing I know Sibok (Mr. Kelly) has told a couple of stories about guys saying "Hey Ed" and the likes and he used to break something off in them for it

OP
J

jeffkyle

The root to this custom goes back to Mr. LaBounty and his clan. In olden times (Colonial America) and in some very respectful family circles (LaBounty features members of his group as a family) the group waits for the Father to come in from the fields and eat dinner (that the wife and children have prepared). prayer is given and then everyone eats after the head of the household. It is a custom he likes and has adopted for his group. Through camps and other events "outsiders" or guests have seen and some criticize this event. Well, again, as I follow your rules in your house it is "polite" to follow his rules when in his house........ No one expects you to adopt these customs unless you fall under LaBounty or any of his students (Tom Kelly)customs. I hope that explains well enough.

That is the first time i have heard the explanation of WHY that is done. It sure is nice to hear the WHY every now and then.

Latest Discussions